LORDI...ProgPower?

LORDI...at ProgPower?

• Yes

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 71.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's how people incorrectly get the idea that bands like Evanescence, Flyleaf, etc are all "goth" rock bands just because they have a female singer.

And it's really infuriating to fans of gothic rock, which really has very little to do with anyone's definition of metal. I have never, ever understood where this idea of operatic/dramatic female vocals + symphonic metal = goth* came from. Female vocalists in goth bands are more like Siouxsie Sioux than Tarja. And there isn't a lot of symphonic arrangements in goth (there are sometimes, but not to the extent that identifying it with gothic rock is appropriate). Don't get me wrong, I like several of the Sarah Brightman-metal acts (that's not an insulting term, either, just more appropriate than "gothic metal"). But that's because of my love for heavy metal, not my love of gothic rock.

* and whatever it is that Flyleaf is doing, for that matter. The term "gothic" is losing all meaning if that is getting lumped in.

Well, Lordi IS coming to the states, but they're playing The Bamboozle Festival in New Jersey. The problem is, they're playing alongside pop-punk/emo bands and Linkin Park.

Not to worry; with attitudes like yours, it's a cinch they never will be, either.

My two cents on the DragonForce non-issue:

Fans get their start somewhere. I am sure there are a lot of kids who are listening to DragonForce because someone else told them to. But I'll also be willing to bet that some of those fans have finally been exposed to music that appeals to them. I think that the mainstream is beginning to dream again, look at the success of the "Lord of the Rings" movies, or George R.R. Martin books hitting best-seller charts. I've thought for awhile that the conditions were right for a wider acceptance of power metal. Imagine some of those kids who turn on the radio and are forcefed absolute swill like Hinder and Three Days Grace, but are really interested in fantasy and entertainment with an "epic" feel. They are tired of music that is about how the singer is mad at his dad, or trying to have some airbrushed "street" feel. Suddenly they hear DragonForce and a new world has opened to them, where the music reflects the other entertainment they have enjoyed. Regardless of what one thinks about DragonForce (I love them), their music can help this music find new fans. It's not like I was born listening to Iron Maiden.

Well, Lordi IS coming to the states, but they're playing The Bamboozle Festival in New Jersey. The problem is, they're playing alongside pop-punk/emo bands and Linkin Park.
pop-punk-emo-clankint**d... :err:

The target crowd there might not be the best possible for Lordi. At least their show with massive pyros and fireworks will stick out like sore thumb - if they are allowed to use all of it. (The same guys took care of Nightwish's impressive pyros&bombs, Lordi has just added another truckload)
Lordi is a showband, but their music isn't something to look down at either. The guys and the girl are pro musicians and can play their instruments. The music is melodic and solid hard rock with some metallish touch, (Kiss being mentioned as the main influence, but they are not imitating) and not too many backing tracks are used at live shows. They say themselves that it is all about having fun, no deeper meanings needed.

I don't know how much efforts Lordi really can spare on working with the American market, since Europe is definitely taking the most of their resources in the next couple of years, at least. The ESC-winner is definitely hot stuff here, like it or not :p

Now that Lordi are on the end records, they will probably be over here plenty of times.

The one good thing to come out of that is that it will bring the end records more money to help promote their other far better bands.

Now that Lordi are on the end records, they will probably be over here plenty of times.

The one good thing to come out of that is that it will bring the end records more money to help promote their other far better bands.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I might of checked out Lordi if they were playing somewhere else, but after looking at the lineup for Bamboozle, I decided the only way I'd ever go to that is if I was Tasered and restrained. Only good thing about that gig is it's in the Meadowlands SC so maybe they'll be allowed to use all their bombs and flames.

If The End records needs an act that is sooooooo unproven stateside which to the AMERICAN fan may feel to be too much of a GWAR ripoff (and I like Lordi lightyears better than GWAR), then The End is truly a cash-poor outfit that needs to merge with a stronger indie label. Furthermore, they do not need Lordi for that purpose, Thine Eyes Bleed should have put truckloads of $$$$ into End's coffers after their successful tour with Slayer this past year.

Sorry if this ruffled any feathers.

Peace,
Ray C.

My two cents on the DragonForce non-issue:

Fans get their start somewhere. I am sure there are a lot of kids who are listening to DragonForce because someone else told them to. But I'll also be willing to bet that some of those fans have finally been exposed to music that appeals to them. I think that the mainstream is beginning to dream again, look at the success of the "Lord of the Rings" movies, or George R.R. Martin books hitting best-seller charts. I've thought for awhile that the conditions were right for a wider acceptance of power metal. Imagine some of those kids who turn on the radio and are forcefed absolute swill like Hinder and Three Days Grace, but are really interested in fantasy and entertainment with an "epic" feel. They are tired of music that is about how the singer is mad at his dad, or trying to have some airbrushed "street" feel. Suddenly they hear DragonForce and a new world has opened to them, where the music reflects the other entertainment they have enjoyed. Regardless of what one thinks about DragonForce (I love them), their music can help this music find new fans. It's not like I was born listening to Iron Maiden.

Agreed! Sounds like when I thought it was all over and all I had
was just what was here in the US in late 90s. I found out
there was a whole new world of Metal in Europe. Thank you
Rhapsody for the eye catching website were it all began,
again....