Manowar

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I have a confession to make: I do not own a single Manowar album, and I have never even heard a Manowar song. Somehow they always slipped through the net.

:lol:

Ok now that you're done laughing at me, can anyone make a recommendation? Do they have a standout album?

*hides in shame* :)

:)

I personally liked Into Glory Ride and Fighting The World. I dont own anything after Fighting the World though I've heard Hell On Wheels is a good Live CD. There's also a Best Of that was released by Mayhem and Anthology is a good crosssection that has some of thier better stuff from the early days . If you can find that I'd Check it out. You could go to www.cduniverse.com and hear 30 clips in RA that would give a sample of thier music or www.cdnow.com that also has samples.

JOhn

My only recommendation is to stay away from Manowar... unless you want to experience some extremely hilarious unintentional metal comedy.

If you like good power metal, then stay away from Manowar. If you want simple, cheesy metal, then go ahead and buuy their albums.
I personally don't like them, but I know there are tons of people who love them. It is a love or hate thing...either you love them or you hate them.

Well, I love em'!!!:p

I would rerecomend "Kings of Metal" which was my first introduction to Manowar back in 90'
I would also tell you to get "The Triumph of Steel" which has an 8-part song that runs at almost a half hour! That song alone makes that album worth buying IMO! :headbang:

listening to my cheese.......
Dustin

I can understand your disdain with Manowar if your expecting Power metal from them but I think a lot of people would argue the fact that their just plain heavy fucking metal. Plain and Simple. Sure they didn't have the most intelligent lyrics but that's not what their about. All Men Play On Ten, Fighting The World, I think thier lyric are defending the metal name and cause. They've been around since the mid 80's so they must be doing something right.....

Originally posted by zinescene
They've been around since the mid 80's so they must be doing something right.....

Too true - they are pioneers in some way and innovators. Whether you like them or not, you have to respect the fact that they have stuck to their guns and not sold out.

I have less respect for bands like Hammerfall and Primal Fear who are just copycats of Manowar/Priest etc. And that is a problem in Power Metal. The music at times seems 'limited' and therefore every other PM band sounds identical. There are too many copycat bands in the power metal genre (more so than other metal genres IMO), and amazingly, you can actually exist with just a handful of power metal bands and remain true to power metal.

Even more amazingly, Glenn was able to capture them all for PPUSA3. I can't think of any other PM band that needs to attend - you have the best of the best at PP3 for power metal. Yes we can all have our personal favorites, but the PM bands at PP3 are the top guns who complete the story IMO.

other bands play.. Manowar kill

hehe, sorry, had to say it.

If you're trying to get into Manowar then go to CDNOW or somplace and listen to some samples. I for one think they're great. If you're in the mood for something plain heavy, then this could be an outlet for you.

True, they're not as technical as other power metal bands but that's not their style. If it wasn't for Manowar, you probably wouldn't have a lot of the newer power metal bands that are around today.

I have and enjoy all their albums, a good one to pick up at first would have to be FIGHTING THE WORLD. But listen to some samples and decide for yourself.

Originally posted by EDVANTASIA
I like Power Metal, but Manowar suck.... Buy a Wizard album. They are better musicians and have a better singer. or try Grave Digger

GEEZ, WHEN DID WIZARD GET BETTER THAN MANOWAR? AT LEAST GRAVE DIGGER HAS BEEN AROUND ALMOST AS LONG AND YOU CAN APPRECIATE THEM.

Originally posted by EDVANTASIA
I like Power Metal, but Manowar suck.... Buy a Wizard album. They are better musicians and have a better singer. or try Grave Digger

I went to CDuniverse to check out samples of Wizard based on your comments. Not that I'm a huge Manowar fan, but I have to say, Wizard sounded just like any other power metal band coming out of the woodwork...nothing innovative.

I love power metal, but again, I don't need to go further than: Angra, Edguy, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Helloween, and Iced Earth (although they are thrash to me). Iron Maiden are pure heavy metal as are Judas Priest. Everything else is just a copy of the originators (of MODERN power metal).

Bands like Wizard add nothing new and the cloning of PM bands needs to stop sooner or later IMO - the recipe to PM has become scripted and repetitive.

"I like Power Metal, but Manowar suck.... Buy a Wizard album. They are better musicians and have a better singer. or try Grave Digger"
First of all Manowar are not Power Metal , it is simply epic heavy metal...EDVANTASIA guy...plz get a mind...Wizard are good but Manowar are THe ULTIMATE KINGS they defined epic heavy metal with "Into Glory Ride" and "Hail To England"..Wizard themselves say that Manowar are their gods and teachers...but ok u consider this cheesy band "Avantasia" serious...so it is reasonable u prefer Wizard from Manowar...

Let me clarify my post 1. Manowar suck, I dont give a shit if they are cheesy or not, that is not why they suck. If cheese bothered me, I wouldn't listen to power metal! 2. I never said Wizard were origina or the best band ever, I just think they have a similar image to Manowar, sing about the same things, I just think the vocalist has a better voice. I find Manowar a tedious listen, the riffs are boring, the lyrics aren't remotely catchy or GOOD! If you like Manowar fine, their are worse bands. But i feel my opinion isn't totally off the mark.

I'm kind of curious what exactly you've listened to from Manowar to judge them so harshly. I have the Wizard CD also and quite honestly I felt the same about them as you did about Manowar. I thought the music was boring, the only saving grace was the fact they had a decent singer but that didn't excuse the lame songs.

If you haven't heard Carry On or Black Wind, Fire & Steel from Fighting The World then you should listen to it with an open mind.

Personally I think it's rather harsh to say a band sucks when their longevity and releases speak for themselves.

I had the "hell on Stage Live" and "Triumph of Steel" I was only able to listen to the 25 minute once, it's had to get through. But like I said, I cannot listen to a band if I dont like the lead singer. But, I am sure I have to thank them for alot of the bands I listwen to today, if not for Manowar they might not be around, so in that respect their legends, But I just would rather listen to the bands inspired by them.

Yes, my favorite Manowar album has to be Kings of Metal, with Fighting the World a close second.
As far as the singer not being up to Edvantasia's standards... have you listened to anything from the new one yet? The song Nessum Dorma alone should change your mind.
And I agree with some of the others' comments: ManOwaR are pure, true f'n heavy metal with no frills, gimmicks, or attitude. They have always been the originators and innovators of TRUE METAL. Other bands play... ManOwaR kill!
And this is coming from someone who doesn't own every single album of theirs, only about four of them. So keep that in mind.
My only problem with ManOwaR... it takes them five or six years to put out 50 minutes of good music. sheesh. Look at Rhapsody and what they've done in about five years' time.

STAY TRUE!!!

~Hoyt (fan of original cheese)

Originally posted by IOfTheStorm
Wizard themselves say that Manowar are their gods and teachers...but ok u consider this cheesy band "Avantasia" serious...so it is reasonable u prefer Wizard from Manowar...

But I thought Manowar were the kings of cheese? Moreso than Avantasia at least....

Do people consider JRR Tolkien to be cheesy out of interest? What makes one fantasy story more cheesy than the next? That's all Avantasia is - a fantasy story of the corruption in the Catholic empire of Rome and a portal to a parallel dimension where funny creatures live.

It also happens to be one of the best CDs of the last decade.

Originally posted by Stile

My only problem with ManOwaR... it takes them five or six years to put out 50 minutes of good music. sheesh. Look at Rhapsody and what they've done in about five years' time.

Rhapsody are just incredible. Symphony of Enchanted Lands is a masterpiece. These guys should also be doing soundtracks and composing modern classical compositions. And Fabio Leone rocks.

Avantasia as the CD of the Decade??????????? I wouldn't even give it top honors for collaberation of the decade. Personally I wouldn't even have it in my top 10 of the year but that's just my personal tastes.

Personally I liked
Brainstorm-Metus Mortis
Shakra-Power Ride
Therion-Secret of the Runes

much better