Marshall 1960DM Speaker Shootout + Grille Off/On Comparison

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Just prepared a speaker shootout on the DM with those lovely Holy Diver DI's everybody so regularly uses :)

I also did the requested grille On/Off comparison, the clips sound pretty different but im still skeptical. I kept all amp settings the same and tried to get the mic as close as the previous attempt. Mic was aimed at the dustcap about 2"-2.5" from the grille.

Ive also included a "full" clip which is just all four guitars together, panned of course. No filters or anything on any clip.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/451140/1960DM Shootout.rar

Let me know your speaker preferences! :kickass:

And as an added bonus....heres the cab NAKED!!

P1000562-1.jpg

I like the clip with the grill on better. I think it may have been your mic positioning.

Bottom right is my favorite. Smoothest in the mids.

I am really liking the Top Left. Also I like it more without the grill. For some reason it sounds a little too harsh in the highs with the grill on.

TL was my favorite too. Can't decide on which is best of the on grill/off grill ones, they sound definitely different but I keep changing my mind on which sounds the best :)

All Clips are a bit boomy though.

TL was my favorite too. Can't decide on which is best of the on grill/off grill ones, they sound definitely different but I keep changing my mind on which sounds the best :)

All Clips are a bit boomy though.

Cool, keep the comments coming guys!

Yeah they are boomy when they are raw, after a bit of C4 they sit quite well.

The ones I did for the "1960 first test" thread were UBER boomy, but they take EQ so well I can't really complain lol. :kickass:

Top left and bottom right are neck and neck :)

what happens if a speaker blows?

Marshall sends me a new cab? or I send it to them to get fixed I assume.

In all seriousness ill have a look in the cab when I get the DVD of how it was made, it might be some panels screwed into the back which can be taken out with effort or actually glued in. In which case ive not been briefed on replacing a speaker. Ive never had one go on me yet :)

Marshall sends me a new cab? or I send it to them to get fixed I assume.

In all seriousness ill have a look in the cab when I get the DVD of how it was made, it might be some panels screwed into the back which can be taken out with effort or actually glued in. In which case ive not been briefed on replacing a speaker. Ive never had one go on me yet :)

you get a dvd of how it was made?? lol

Gonna bump this old thread, see if there is anymore opinions before I start reamping some more stuff in future.

TL & BR are the two favs by the looks of things, would be interesting too see if anybodys changed their mind too :)