Mastodon...any comments?

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
Ok...I finally listened to Leviathan...what's the big hype? I don't get it. It's ok...not bad, not great...any other opinions? It seems to me that they met the right people and got the right support.

I don't really think they are too overhyped.

Maybe a bit, but they are definately a unique band, I like them quite a bit.

Mastodon is unique and I totally dig them. Are they overhyped? I didn't really think they were being hyped all that much to begin with. I may be biased as Brann is from my hometown and I know him. He is a phenom on drums. He was in a local band called Lethargy before Mastodon. Actually, so was Bill Kelliher. You can find them on myspace and youtube. Lethargy was much different from Mastodon. Eric Burke (Now of Sulaco) was the singer/guitarist for Lethargy. He spent a little time in Nuclear Assault. IMO, Mastodon is real good stuff. I think you will find their earlier stuff to be more similar to what Brann/Bill were doing in Lethargy and Today Is The Day.

Mastodon is unique and I totally dig them. Are they overhyped? I didn't really think they were being hyped all that much to begin with. I may be biased as Brann is from my hometown and I know him. He is a phenom on drums. He was in a local band called Lethargy before Mastodon. Actually, so was Bill Kelliher. You can find them on myspace and youtube. Lethargy was much different from Mastodon. Eric Burke (Now of Sulaco) was the singer/guitarist for Lethargy. He spent a little time in Nuclear Assault. IMO, Mastodon is real good stuff. I think you will find their earlier stuff to be more similar to what Brann/Bill were doing in Lethargy and Today Is The Day.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I really don't think they have been hyped at all really. It's not like they are selling assloads of cds or anything. I'm not even sure if Blood Mountain has hit the 100k mark yet and that is with a shit load of touring behind it. Sure, they get a little more press than most bands but they are far from overhyped. Just a band that deserves the recognition for all the hard work they have done. Those guys are some serious road dogs.

Well, Leviathan got such rave reviews and then they were mentioned all over the place. I think it's good...nothing ground breaking or Earth shattering...it certainly doesn't suck. I thought from the reviews and articles that I was going to find something really new and different.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them success...I was just wondering if I'm missing something. I'll try another release and judge from there. I do see more articles about them than just about any other current metal band...well, maybe LOG.

To each his own.

Yes, Opeth is hyped. I think they have some really great moments, but they are soooo repeatitive. Very boring live.

{Ramble}

I saw masterdon open for slayer earlier this year, put on a really good show, especially considering the poor mix the sound guy gave them. I have blood mountain too - pretty good album. Id say they are decent to very good at best, not really my style though. A bit to alternative for my taistes (not to say i dont like alt rock - love fnm, primus, bungle etc) The vocals dont do alot for me to be honest, think thats where they fall down for me...

{/Ramble}

I find them tolerable especially in light of all the other (nu) bands they are lumped together with. I have no real criticism toward them. I do think they're better than all the new JDFU (jump da fuck up) bands, Nu Metal bands, and "mainstream core" bands. That said, I hardly ever listen to them due to the oversaturation of other metal I have which I consider to be better.