Been listening to High On Fire and Mastodon...

As a drummer, I'll say that Mastodon's music would sound very different wth "straightforward" drumming. The riffs give the music a consistent feeling of swirling motion. They're not drum solos. Just extended fills involving the snare drum more than anything else. Far more effective than a devastating black metal blastbeat, and Brann certainly stays in time.

The band's mixture of hardcore, metal, and stoner rock is what makes them refreshing. Including those styles doesn't automatically negate any possibility of being good.

I beleive the sweetest country lick is located on the track "Megalodon," an excellent example of style mixture. "Hearts Alive" is essential in the textbook on atmospheric composition. The fact that the band wished to tackle Moby Dick as the concept of their album shows their tenacity and willingness to transcend the caveman stereotype that people are willing to place upon them due to their chosen styles to mix. If that doesn't strike your fancy, I guess you could always listen to something easier, like Aeternus, instead...

For the record, Portnoy is not original. I doubt anyone would hear a bit of Portnoy's drumming and recognize it instantly as his own. He at times sounds like he wants to be Neil Peart, and fails miserably. He's easily the weakest link in Dream Theater.

And 99.9% would be wrong, because at least 99% of those people listen to nothing but Portnoy projects, and thusly know nothing else. Also, over-the-top drumming is often very distracting in music. See: Absu's Tara, mid-era Morbid Angel, Mastodon.

I actually think that Absu's Tara is something rather revolutionary, because the masturbatory drumming actually doesn't distract me from all the other music.

Now, the drumming in mid-era to now MA is fucking annoying as shit. Obviously just used to mask the fact that riffs are continuously recycled in that band.

Tara often distracts me with the drumming, Proscriptor is all over the fucking place...

Warlord Of Death said:
Fenriz has the right way of going about drumming, he's all about backing the composition's and guitars...not showing off. If you want to hear good drumming, that does so listen to Havohej or Profantica.

i think they're underdone just a bit...
Him having no variety at all and stuff.. I don't think he's exactly trying to just back up the compositions and guitars, if he was, there's most definately a few spots per song where he'd change it up.

a bit...

anonymousnick2001 said:
He at times sounds like he wants to be Neil Peart, and fails miserably. He's easily the weakest link in Dream Theater.

Call me On Crack, but knowing both of their styles quite well, I'd easily put Portnoy above Peart. I just watched the Portnoy video again the other day, and I'm totally sure about that statement. People who worship Peart are like people who worship (insert 60's guitarist here)... a player coming up in the 80's and 90's would have much higher standards to build on than one coming up in the 60's and 70's, and therefore as a matter of course is going to be much better. Yeah, Blackmore and Page and the lot were awesome, but are any of them really better than Jason Becker or Eric Johnson or Petrucci?

Oh, and the weakest link in Dream Theater is the singer. Come the fuck on.

Blade Golem said:
I second that.

You regularly post at GaiaOnline, thus your opinions are automatically an inversion of fact. ;)

I've nothing against bands doing something different, but Mastodon is a tepid combination of various annoying genres.

Gallantry over Docility said:
You regularly post at GaiaOnline, thus your opinions are automatically an inversion of fact. ;)

I've nothing against bands doing something different, but Mastodon is a tepid combination of various annoying genres.

Nice try, Opeth fanboy. You know that your favorite song not winning that "Survivor" poll you started still hurts you deep down inside. :Smug:

Jean-Pierre said:
I actually think that Absu's Tara is something rather revolutionary, because the masturbatory drumming actually doesn't distract me from all the other music.

Now, the drumming in mid-era to now MA is fucking annoying as shit. Obviously just used to mask the fact that riffs are continuously recycled in that band.

YASE!!!!

The Grimace said:
Call me On Crack, but knowing both of their styles quite well, I'd easily put Portnoy above Peart. I just watched the Portnoy video again the other day, and I'm totally sure about that statement. People who worship Peart are like people who worship (insert 60's guitarist here)... a player coming up in the 80's and 90's would have much higher standards to build on than one coming up in the 60's and 70's, and therefore as a matter of course is going to be much better. Yeah, Blackmore and Page and the lot were awesome, but are any of them really better than Jason Becker or Eric Johnson or Petrucci?

Portnoy has done little if anything Peart hasn't. Portnoy has overplayed many a time, where Peart has almost never. As far as technical skill, Portnoy may be better, but his style is inferior.

Can Portnoy really outplay guys like Richard Christy, Bobby Jarbomzek, Gene Hoglan, Proscriptor, Elvin Jones, Buddy Rich, Tito Puente, etc.?