Melodic Thrash bands

Metal_Thailand

New Metal Member
Mar 29, 2002
Visit site
Hi All,

I just recently got my hands on Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos. This album seriously kicks ass and I think it is just a great masterpiece. A mate recommended In Flames, are there any other bands in the same category as Soilwork which you lot feel are worth getting?

Cheers

If you want melodic thrash, I'd recommend Heathen - Victims of Deception. Blows Soilwork, In Flames and all the like away with its real thrashiness and melody.

DEPRESY - A GRAND MAGNIFICENCE/SIGHTINGS
IN FLAMES
DARK TRANQUILITY
ENSHROUD
GOD DETHRONED...TO NAME A FEW.
WELL...MOST OF THE SWEDISH GAY BANDS ARE FULL OF MELODY WITH A LOT OF THRASHINESS....

As stated above, In Flames and Arch Enemy are good if you like Soilwork.

For the heavier side of "melodic thrash", I'd suggest the following:

Dimension Zero (Jesper Stromblad, guitarist from In Flames writes and plays guitar)
The Crown
The Haunted
Carnal Forge
Darkane
In Thy Dreams
Terror 2000 (Member from both Carnal Forge and Darkane)
Dew-Scented
Impious
Arise

Most of the above are Swedish, here are a few from Asia that also kick ass and are fairly available:

Shadow (Japan)
Ritual Carnage (Japan)
Holymarsh (Korea)
Herriot (Malaysia)

Oh guys thanks for that listing, that is really cool.

One thing that I have noticed is that there is a lot of reference to Gay Swedish bands !!

Are they all really Gay, or is that a description of their music?

Quite frankly, I don't give a fuck, as I am a straight Brit living in Thailand wanting metal music in all forms and I think that the curent stuff coming out of the Scandanavian Countries as simply brilliant.

Just Interesting to hear the description of swedish music as Gay.

Cheers Dudes

Metal Thailand

About "gay Swedish music", I could see why some people are calling it that. Recently a lot of the Swedish bands that used to play melodic death metal are starting to incorporate clean vocals, simpler song structures. To me it seems like these bands are trying be more commercially viable. I personally don't like the trend, and have been disappointed a lot recently by bands that have gone in this direction, but I will still listen to the music. I wouldn't call it "gay" myself, but I can see why some metal die-hards are calling it that.

All of the bands I listed above have not succumbed to the "gay" trend. It seems like the death/thrash (or whatever) subgenre you originally asked about is of a different mindset than the other Swedish bands, and prefer to keep their music more "true" to the underground.

Of course this is all opinion, and some or many may disagree. As long as it sounds good, I'll listen to it.

Some people don't have taste thats all...

I can't believe no one has mentioned AT THE GATES yet! They may be gone, but they're still IMO benchmark, particularly Slaughter of the Soul (other two benchmarks being Gallery era- Dark Tranquillity and Jester Race - In Flames IMO)

But bands on this style... Hmm...

Serberus
Eventide (only got a couple of demos, but I like what I've heard)
Eternal Tears of Sorrow (ignore the name, try to ignore the singer)
Ablaze my sorrow
Gardenian (heard nothing but good about them)
Skyfire
Embraced (both of these are very keyboard heavy, I like it, you mightn't)
Amon Amarth (they rule. period)
Phallicide
Solace Denied (supporting local bands here:p)

Anyway, have a look around, theres millions of them... Its a fairly well saturated market, with plenty of talent (not always married to innovation tho')

Just get all the usual suspects. You will, in no time, find out who they are.

I somewhat agree with the "gay" description.

Originally posted by exorial
About "gay Swedish music", I could see why some people are calling it that. Recently a lot of the Swedish bands that used to play melodic death metal are starting to incorporate clean vocals, simpler song structures. To me it seems like these bands are trying be more commercially viable. I personally don't like the trend, and have been disappointed a lot recently by bands that have gone in this direction, but I will still listen to the music. I wouldn't call it "gay" myself, but I can see why some metal die-hards are calling it that.

All of the bands I listed above have not succumbed to the "gay" trend. It seems like the death/thrash (or whatever) subgenre you originally asked about is of a different mindset than the other Swedish bands, and prefer to keep their music more "true" to the underground.

Of course this is all opinion, and some or many may disagree. As long as it sounds good, I'll listen to it.

very true.....you stole the words out of my mouth!!!

Melodic Thrash...

Well, don't know much about Soilwork or In Flames... but some good old-school melodic thrash:

Forbidden
Vio-Lence
Exodus
Dark Angel
Death Angel
Devastation

Mostly Bay Area stuff... That's where Melodic Thrash got it's start, IMO.

Originally posted by npearce
Anybody that like In Flames, Soilwork, etc. will definitely like Arch Enemy.

Arch Enemy blows. And the mentioned bands aren't really thrash anyway. The Crown is pure melodic thrash......Ebony Tears and Testament would be good bets too.

Y'all are forgetting...

Susperia! This is true melodic thrash, if such a thing exists!
Dawn of Dreams
Gardenian
Night In Gales are all also kick ass bands w/ thrashy yet melodic aspects to them.

If you want to branch out a bit further even, and check out some ripping music that's thrashy, melodic, semi-death, and mainly furiously fast power metal style, listen to:
Children of Bodom
Skyfire
Kalmah
Naglfar
Ensiferum (the greatest band in the world!!!)