Mercenary- 11 Dreams

Even though I didn't care for their music I was up front holding my spot for Vanden Plas and Symphony X, I thought they put an awesome show.

Although about a few months ago I got into In Flames, Bodom, Soilwork, some Dimmu Borgir, Into Eternity, and other stuff with death/black vocals.
I am listening to it right now and I like it.

"You've taken your first step into a larger world." :D

Thanks for the review, Glenn! I'll be sure to pick it up as soon as I can. You might want to suggest that the label send a copy to WREKage at WREK-FM, too. Info is at
http://www.wrekage.org -- it should fit in well with the show, and we now have 8 hours each week, officially, to play with. \m/

Hey Good idea DJ Pellaz, would be awesome if people in the US could enjoy an appetizer of great things to come, right. And Glenn great review! you´re the MAN! :worship:

:hotjump: Holy shit!! I have heard some of it!! Talk about bringing it!!I got to listen to more , more I tell you :loco:

Funny how this year my top bands are Into Eternity, Disarmonia Mundi and probably going to be Mercenary if the first listen is any indication. I remember a few years back I was so close minded to deathy vocal bands you couldn't get me to listen, now they are my favs. The times they are a changin :headbang:

Bear

Bear said:
:hotjump: Holy shit!! I have heard some of it!! Talk about bringing it!!I got to listen to more , more I tell you :loco:

Funny how this year my top bands are Into Eternity, Disarmonia Mundi and probably going to be Mercenary if the first listen is any indication. I remember a few years back I was so close minded to deathy vocal bands you couldn't get me to listen, now they are my favs. The times they are a changin :headbang:

Bear
I know what you mean Bear--I'm becoming one of the converted-to-harsh-vocals crowd, too. I was impressed by Mercenary at ProgPower, Into Eternity grabbed my attention with this year's announcement, and I was sent a promo of Disarmonia Mundi for Rakosh Radio which grabbed my attention immediately also. All three bands are in rotation on the station (with Mercenary in the heaviest rotation) and are the ones I look forward to hearing each day.

...now if only someone would grace me with a promo of 11 Dreams, I'd get on the station pronto (hint, hint BoS)! :D

:Smokin:

Demonspell said:
Heard three songs from the new one on Sesismic last night...excellent. I especially liked the sinister slower track Sharpen The Edges...
Busted buddy, listening but not coming into chat!!!!!We had over 20 people in at one point!! That was a killer show :headbang:

Bear

Harvester said:
Outstanding!

The band took every great aspect of "Everblack" and took it to another level with this disc. The trademark riffing is back and is strong as ever. The vocals are godly (or ungodly if you prefer) this time out as they alternate between brutal, clean, and one hell of a layered harmony. I also love the keys this time out as they not only blend for atmosphere, but stand out in some of the beautifully dark passages. Production is booming courtesy of Jacob H. (Raunchy was his lastest I believe).

What takes the band to the next level is what most bands have forgotten about lately: a catchy as hell hook. The songwriting has matured to the point that you can feel the band taking it to the next level. There are no fillers on this disc.

With a proper push and the right tour, these guys should go over huge. It's out soon in Europe and scheduled for a U.S. release in early 2005.

Glenn H.
- Glen, chooses the roster by himself.
- Glen does not invite bands every year. He always skips a year at least.
- Glens, favorite bands/artists show up every other year, guaranteed (Evergrey)
- Reading the write up above, I think he likes this album even more than Evergrey's last release.

Result:
I guarantee Glen will invite Mercenary to ProgPower VI. ;)

I just received the CD in the mail today and it is heavy (musically and lyrically) as hell. Ironically, I put the disc in for the first spin right after listening to George Bush's Republican National Convention speech about freedom being God's gift to everyone in the world and that he (Bush) will continue his crusade to make the world a more peaceful place. To me, those are all code words for, "I plan to bomb the devil out of more middle east countries if elected to another 4 years". Something I totally oppose (although I 100% supported going after the Bin Laden network in Afganastan which was and is an immenent threat, much unlike Iraq).

You can't impose freedom on a people, as noble as it sounds. Oppressed people who yearn to be free must be willing to die for their freedom. They can't expect some other country to do it for them. If a people truly desire to be free, they will make the sacrifices to make themselves free. If they are afraid to sacrifice, then they will never be free.

Until I heard the lyrics, I had no idea that much of the CD is focused on and before the events of September 11. Usually the lyrical content is something I don't pay much attention to, but halfway through the title track, "11 Dreams", I had to stop what I was doing and read the lyrics from cover to cover. I don't totally understand the concept after just one read, but it appears written in the mind of a terrorist who is bred to hate, a hate that he often regrets, but can't control. I gotta boogie over to the official Mercenary site and look for some insight as to how the band wishes the lyrics to be interpreted.

A very dark, very deep, and hypnotic CD. I love it!!!!

The Fiddler

p.s. the variety of vocal styles really adds more texture an already texture laden CD that just grooves. A great CD for those long road trips on the highway.

ashaman7122 said:
May I inquire as to where you ordered it from?

Thanks for the help...

Rock on!

I provided the photo of Kral for the CD jacket. Thanks to the band for including a bit of my creativity into this masterwork. It's truly an honor.

The Fiddler

Harvester said:
In stock at www.lasercd.com

Glenn H.
Glenn, you just seriously amaze me...how the hell did you know that?

I have been actively on the hunt for anyone that had it in stock (including Laser's Edge)...

I'm assuming it must have just popped up in stock today...either that or I completely missed it...?

Anyway...regardless...just ordered it...thanks for the heads-up.

Can't wait..

Rock on!

Demonspell said:
Thank you Glenn, will order it ASAP...

Make sure to post your reviews when you get it!!!

And yes, the harsh vocal style is growing on me too. I heard a lot of good stuff from Mercenary at PPIV and eagerly awaited this release. Pure fucking bliss!

The Fiddler said:
I just received the CD in the mail today and it is heavy (musically and lyrically) as hell. Ironically, I put the disc in for the first spin right after listening to George Bush's Republican National Convention speech about freedom being God's gift to everyone in the world and that he (Bush) will continue his crusade to make the world a more peaceful place. To me, those are all code words for, "I plan to bomb the devil out of more middle east countries if elected to another 4 years". Something I totally oppose (although I 100% supported going after the Bin Laden network in Afganastan which was and is an immenent threat, much unlike Iraq).

You can't impose freedom on a people, as noble as it sounds. Oppressed people who yearn to be free must be willing to die for their freedom. They can't expect some other country to do it for them. If a people truly desire to be free, they will make the sacrifices to make themselves free. If they are afraid to sacrifice, then they will never be free.

Until I heard the lyrics, I had no idea that much of the CD is focused on and before the events of September 11. Usually the lyrical content is something I don't pay much attention to, but halfway through the title track, "11 Dreams", I had to stop what I was doing and read the lyrics from cover to cover. I don't totally understand the concept after just one read, but it appears written in the mind of a terrorist who is bred to hate, a hate that he often regrets, but can't control. I gotta boogie over to the official Mercenary site and look for some insight as to how the band wishes the lyrics to be interpreted.

A very dark, very deep, and hypnotic CD. I love it!!!!

The Fiddler

p.s. the variety of vocal styles really adds more texture an already texture laden CD that just grooves. A great CD for those long road trips on the highway.
Nice job Michael Moore, you tied the new mercenary cd to Bush. It isnt the first time you tied 2 completely unrelated things together to make Bush look bad....