Metal dealing with LOVE RELATED DEPRESSION and GRIEF.

frost_giant

Giant Member
Feb 8, 2006
I would like this thread to be the centrepoint for discussing Metal, of all kinds, the bands of which express life struggles, loss of lovers(not exactly meaning death), grief and depression of that kind.

What ALBUMS or specific SONGS exactly do you find most emotional, solid and what are your views on such expressions in Metal music?

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
Grief - Dismal
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

Camel - Spirit of the Water (i know it's not that metal, but what the hell)
Jethro Tull - Budapest (same)
Saturnus - Christ Goodbye
Agalloch - The Lodge
Some The Gathering songs
And i love the intro called "The Pipes are Calling" from the Folkearth album (A Nordic Poem)

Empyrium has a bunch of songs in that vein. Opeth's MAYH and Still Life albums are both concept albums dealing with love. Katatonia has also made a bunch of songs like that, which Erik already mentioned.

As for my views on it, I like them. I think the whole "metal should never be about love" thing is pretty retarded. Just because love songs have been done to death in about a zillion horrible pop songs doesn't mean it's impossible to write good songs with love (or loss of love) as a theme. It's something pretty much everyone can relate to afterall.

Erik said:
How are these abot LOVE RELATED DEPRESSION and GRIEF? I don't suppose you care about lyrics huh
Yep, i don't care about lyrics :)... and i feel love when i listen those songs.
To me, lyrics are not important... if i don't like them, or if i don't understand them, i just make my own scenario, and it's all good.
This time it's love.

I think To/Die/For is an awesome metal band whose main theme is love - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Their first CD (All Eternity I think?) deals with the happiness and ecstacy of falling in love.

The second deals with the loss

The first deals with the anger

Anyway...great band with catchy guitar riffs, and AWESOME clean vocals that sound like OMD from the 80's (you know that song "if you leave...") It's like HIM I think, only the vocals are 10000 times smoother and it's heavier I think.

It's romance metal at it's finest.

My Dying Bride- The Blue Lotus
Leaves' Eyes- For Amelie

Both songs are really beautiful and sad. The Leave's Eyes song is definetly girlie Metal though.

Scourge of Malice said:
Agalloch - "A Desolation Song" although its a mellow song.
ISIS - the whole "Oceanic" album.
Good call on Oceanic. The story behind it is FUCKED UP

A bunch of Katatonia works, as said. Most of their later material can be interpreted as such, and a good amount of older material too

Coroner - Shadow of a Lost Dream
Agalloch - She painted Fire Across the Horizon (mentioned before) and pretty much all of their other songs
Asmegin - pretty much all of them

Anathema - Eternity, Alternative 4 and Judgement are kind of a trilogy of albums dealing with loss of love and loss of relatives. Very emotional stuff, if they do dip in quality with each release. There are tracks on "Eternity" that always make me think of the death of one of my loved ones. Awesome stuff.

My Dying Bride - Like Gods of the Sun - Deals extensively with lost love, forbidden love and love denied - and is all the better for it. Plus, chicks dig it, and I once got some awesome dirty action from a bird, listening to this. Ah, memories, memories!