Metal Evolution VH1 Classic Documentary Series

Death Aflame

voice of dissent
Feb 1, 2004
http://www.vh1.com/shows/metal_evolution/series.jhtml

Produced by the same guys behind Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, Global Metal, and Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage.

It's great so far. The first couple of episodes in particular about the origins of metal in blues, rock, pop, classical, surf, etc. are fascinating.

The most recent episode was about Glam Metal which is not my favorite but they treat it interestingly in the documentary. They don't shit on it, but explore it as a significant part in the development and history of metal.

Next week's episode centres on Thrash, should be good.

I know he took some flak for the black metal segment in A Headbanger's Journey for it focusing too heavily on the church burnings and satanism shit. I'd like to see a documentary really go in depth about the musical aspects of BM for once.

I was really unhappy with the portrayal of black metal. First of all they made it out to be a genre that's entirely from Norway. Nevermind that pioneers Celtic Frost were Swiss and Bathory were Swedish. And that all the best modern black metal (in my opinion) is from Germany or France. Norwegian black metal is only the most known because it's associated with the church burnings and murders. The documentary portrayed black metal to be a club of nothing but church burners and militant satanists by interviewing three church burners and nothing else.

At least we can say we heard an Enslaved song on vh1. That was great music for the Norwegian landscape shots and segue into the black metal piece.

I've only seen a few episodes and did not care much for it. It's not as bad as 'That Metal Show' which is total bullshit. I usually just wish I never sar any of this shit to begin with.