Metal Vinyl

The Reverend

New Metal Member
May 7, 2002
Visit site
What is the best place (American or otherwise) to order metal vinyl. I'm one of those bastards who won't buy an album unless they can find it on vinyl (well, not always). I'm usually willing to pay 10 fold more for the same album on vinyl that I could get for a few bucks CD. As we all know Americans never get the good vinyl distributed to America so we usually have to order it, but I wanted to know what sites you guys go to when doing this. See if there is anywhere I've missed.

The best place (on the planet) is www.vvinyl.com

Vintage Vinyl rules.

Why the vinyl fetish out of interest?

By the way, notice how the word 'vinyl' begins to look strange the longer you look at it, heh....:Smokedev:

I live in Denmark and I'm a vinylholic! When I order metal vinyl it's usually through www.disczone.dk which is a danish web-based company. I have looked at the vintage vinyl page and didn't find it very interesting. There may be other stuff better than Disczone, but I'm mostly into 60's/70's stuff so I usually go digging in 2nd hand shops and don't pay that much attention to new stuff.

I just firmly believe that vinyl is the superior medium for music. Warm analog sound is a plus but a large part of it is the simple tactile pleasure of placing a 12 inch platter onto a player and watching it spin. 12 inches provides for much bigger (and thusly more satisfying) cover art as well. Metal especially, I believe is intended to be on vinyl.

There are other reasons though. You see, when you put music onto compact disc you have to convert the sound into data. In doing so you must devise a compression scheme, and when compressing music to fit onto digital mediums the first thing it does is cuts out frequencies in the music that fall above and below the human spectrum of hearing. So when you listen to the CD, you are missing something, you can't tell it's missing but you know it's there. Then when you listen to it on vinyl you can tell the difference. Of course this only applies to music recorded analog, but many bands still do record in that medium.