Metallica's Sound Man Crazy?

Unavailable

May 28, 2006
Bay Area, CA
What do you guys think about this?

"I have a couple of pet hates in this world. I am single-handedly trying to educate the entire audio world to stop putting [a certain industry-standard instrument microphone typically used on snare drums] on guitars. Because never has there been a single microphone that suffered with proximity effect more than that mic. It’s horrendous. It’s great on a snare drum—adds all that fat low end. But when you put it on a guitar, and you’ve got it right up against the grille (closer than six inches), it suffers maximum proximity effect. It’s the worst choice of microphones to put on a guitar, and loads of people do it. I do some club shows for my mates when I’m at home. …I normally take my Audio-Technica mics, because the number of times I walk in and there they are, I say no, we’re going to change this."

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/happenings/d85ed71330f73d93/index.html

Interesting. At first I thought "well, they are obviously endorsing Audio Technica", but then again, they don't need to kiss anyone's ass at their status.

I totally dig his statement on starting with the vocal and ambient mics live, because it makes a whole lot of sense and I do the same when mixing records most of the time.

Then again, whenever I saw Metallica live (3 times), their sound was pretty bad ...

When I first starting doing live sound I met Mick and told him how new I was. His response was 'well if your new weve got a few hours spare, do you want to get a coffee and pick my brains for a bit' About 2 hours later I was still talking to him about anything from micing drums to hanging out with Cliff Burton.

What I realised is Mick really does know ridiculous amounts about is trade but also has some crazy ideas he likes to throw in to challenge you. Ive met up with him many times since then and he still suggests that I start sound checking with the vocal rather than the bass drum. Hes been pushing this idea for a while about rather than setting your band and then struggling for vocal level start with the voice and work back. He also tells me that he doesnt do this.

2 other things to take into consideration.

Its all a matter of taste but the guy does know what hes doing.

Hes not going to be talking up the 57 on the AT site. If hes using all their gear and for free theyre going to want him to justify it somehow.

I quite frankly don't buy the claim that Mick would praise any equipment just because he got it for free. A person in such a position probably doesn't need any freebies.

Oh course not. Micks got pretty much free choice of what he uses whether its free or bought but when your doing a feature for a company that endorses you obviously you will approach it with certian expectations to be met.

Mick however does exclusively use AT mics with Metallica at least and that will be by his own choice.

so for this guy Bob rock who used a sm57 on the cab on the the recording of the black album is a dumbass?!?!?

Live and studio are very different environtments and to be fair a large part of mic selection is down to engineers preference. We all know you can get great results with a 57 but there are other options.

He's right about it being good on snare, though:

snare-anger.jpg