Miscellaneous movie thread

Finally someone mentions Borat! I only asked about it 15 times after seeing it last year! :)

Trout bum diaries - sounds intriguing.

On the weekend I saw David Cronenberg's A History of Violence with Viggo Mortensen. Lets just say its about a family you dont want to mess with...

I watched Children of Men last night.

The story was good albeit a little predictable. The shakey camera work was annoying, obviously they were aiming for that gritty appeal but when dirt/blood whatever it was ended up on the lens I got really f'n annoyed. I wouldnt rate it as an outstanding film but it was entertaining enough, even for me in my cranky, sleep deprived state.

EDIT: I was flicking through Empire magazine and they gave it 5 stars, they went as far as to say it'll be the next cult movie achieving Blade Runner status. I really didnt see that, I agree with them that the acting was great and the way they added the comedy to the tension of the car chase was clever but I still thought the story was a little too predictable. Perhaps I was a little to harsh in my intitial criticism of the film as the atmosphere of the film was also very good.

I don't know if any of you guys read Empire but I often agree with their reviews and use them as a point of reference. This was just one of those occassions where we didnt quite see eye to eye:loco:

Anyone seen any films lately? I've not been for a few weeks. The last thing I saw was Sunshine, which was a bit of a sci-fi thing. Before that we saw The Reaping, which was pretty good.

Last movie I saw was Rocky Balboa. There are about five movies I want to see at the moment though (Zodiac, Pirates 3, Spiderman 3, Breach... ok, four) so I shall have to rearrange my social calendar accordingly.

Did you like Rocky Balboa? I'd like to see it, but should see the first 5 Rocky films first. :)

Pirates and Spiderman are on the list as well...

Well, I've only seen Rocky, Rocky II and Rocky IV but I didn't feel as if I'd missed out on anything.

It's a really good movie. It's very easy to forgot over the years and Stallone can be a pretty good actor when he tries. He got an Oscar nomination for the original Rocky, after all, and was excellent in Cop Land. Unfortunately he just makes too many dumb action movies and doesn't give many performances that are worth mentioning. But he's very good in Rocky Balboa.

Methinks he'll throw away all the goodwill he's generated from it after the next Rambo flick.

^^

I'm not a big Rocky fan but I quite enjoyed Rocky Balboa - really good performances.

And, as I originally posted on our forum:

Well, in between doing a million other things I've managed to see both Spiderman 3 and Pirates 3 at the cinema.

So, Spiderman 3.... 90% awesome, 10% utter and complete shit. The unfortunate thing is the 10% shit is SO BAD that it dragged the remaining 90% to about a 5/10 at best. Damn shame, it was REALLY good in places too. :(

Pirates 3... apart from the fucking moronic ongoing commentary by the drooling gorilla that was sitting next to us, I would say that it's possibly the greatest adventure film ever. Seriously - just fucking awesome! Definitely must be seen on the big screen to do it justice though! :)