Motorhead's Lemmy passes away

I had a bad feeling this day was coming with his health issues on the last tour. Lemmy was a true legend!!

And yet Keith Richards lives on....

The band posted the following statement via Facebook:
"There is no easy way to say this…our mighty, noble friend Lemmy passed away today after a short battle with an extremely aggressive cancer. He had learnt of the disease on December 26th, and was at home, sitting in front of his favorite video game from The Rainbow which had recently made it’s way down the street, with his family.
We cannot begin to express our shock and sadness, there aren’t words.
We will say more in the coming days, but for now, please…play Motörhead loud, play Hawkwind loud, play Lemmy’s music LOUD.
Have a drink or few.
Share stories.
Celebrate the LIFE this lovely, wonderful man celebrated so vibrantly himself.
HE WOULD WANT EXACTLY THAT.
Ian ‘Lemmy’ Kilmister
1945 - 2015
Born to lose, lived to win."

ab3576280087d418789d399855284a15-640x401.jpg

Reactions: NorseBlood
It seems like the way he should go: full tilt until he couldn't go anymore. He never seemed to be the type to just fade away. Still, his passing is a big loss to us all. RIP.

Motorhead Roadie Steve Luna Opens Up on Lemmy

"...It's December 5th, 2012, around 9PM at the Velodrom in Berlin. You can hear the crowd chanting "Motorhead, Motorhead!" We're in the dressing room backstage and Lemmy is lying on the couch, not feeling well. The tour manager, Eddie [Rocha] comes in and asks if he is going to play. I can't give him a definite answer. I tap Lem on the shoulder to see if we are going to cancel or if he's going to go up and play tonight. He says "I don't know if I can do it tonight." I don't know if he was sick, tired... but I didn't think he was going to be able to play. I look at Eddie, and we both look down at him, trying to figure out what to do. It's about 9:15PM now -- we were supposed to be on stage 10 minutes ago. At this point you could hear the crowd pounding their feet on the ground, and then they all started chanting "Lemmy, Lemmy, Lemmy." It was at that moment that Lem stood up, looked at himself in the mirror, combed his hair, fixed his shirt & said: "Let's do it."

Lemmy & Motorhead gave it their all that night, and the fans loved him for it -- that's the Lemmy I will always remember. Lemmy will forever represent rock and roll to me. He lived and breathed it, and showed me what it was all about. It was an honor and privilege to work with Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister, just as he was once honored to work with Jimi Hendrix..."

I've never been a fan of Motorhead's music apart from a few songs but they were due to play a gig at the Hammersmith Apollo on the 30th of Jan and I was toying with the idea of trying to grab a late ticket from somewhere. It's a shame I never saw Motorhead live in the end. I'll send a toast to Lemmy as the clock strikes midnight tonight and play a few 'head tunes in his honour!

LATE MOTÖRHEAD FRONTMAN LEMMY KILMISTER’S MEMORIAL SERVICE TO BE WEBCAST

"...On Saturday, January 9th, the world will come together and celebrate the life Motörhead frontman Lemmy Kilmister.

Family and close friends will observe a service at Forest Lawn Memorial Cemetery, Hollywood, commencing at 3 PM, PST and ending at 4:30 PM. With such limited space available on-site, Motörhead respectfully ask that you don’t attend the cemetery… but they want you all to be a part of this, so they are setting up a live feed of the service via the internet on Motörhead’s official YouTube channel.

Says Motörhead: “So wherever you are, PLEASE get together and watch the service with fellow Motörheadbangers and friends. Go to your favourite bar, or your favourite club, make sure they have access to an internet connection and toast along with us. Or simply invite your pals around and celebrate Lemm’s life at home. Whatever your venue, and however you can, let’s be sure to gather globally on Saturday 9th and celebrate the life of our dear friend and irreplaceable icon.”

For anyone wishing to send flowers, please contact Karen Brando at Flowers By Michael - (310) 276-1003, kbrando@flowersbymichael.com.

If you’d like to make a charitable donation under Lemmy’s name, please go to: Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund...."