Muting the DI during tracking

deanbailey

O.C.D Member
Dec 14, 2006
Cape Town
I haven't really bothered with reamping until my recent purchase of an amp worth reamping through.
I know how to do it, just my question is:
'is there anyway to mute the clean DI'd signal during tracking while still being able to record it?'

...so its just the miked up cab coming through for monitoring.
thanks in advance

Nothing quite fancy at the moment, Behringer 2442 desk, ESI 1010 soundcard, cubase SX3.

EDIT: What would i need in order to do this?

Sounds to me like you're monitoring the inputs - this is what I do, as well, since I can't be arsed to tax my system and keep the latency super low and monitor via the DAW.

There's no way around it, if you're monitoring the inputs, unless your interface can specifically mute one input.

It'd be a setting on your interface, to not monitor the inputs, and then click (in Cubendo for instance) the little speaker on the track to monitor through that.

The problem with doing it that way is that you're going to have have very low latency to make it work effectively, and depending on your equipment, it can really tax your system.

Aah yes I've experienced the latency problem.

So in your case do you monitor the DI channel while tracking? ..and "deal with it" for lack of a better phrase.

In PT, you can simply mute or turn down the fader of the DI track.

Perhaps you can try this?

I'm facing the same problem right now with a recording I'm doing now. Fortunately I can run at 2ms latency and I'm using the free GuitarSuite JCM900 as a modeler to monitor what's being played. That particular plugin is not to heavy to run (running 6 instances now) and it sounds very good.

hmm...I was just asking in case a client requests that he only monitors the amp because the DI is bothering him (which is what i experienced before getting used to it)
And also finding out if there was an easier way around it.

thanks for the replies :kickass:

That would drive me nuts if I had to hear the DI along with the amp.
I guess that's the way it goes though or experience latency unless you have a super powerful system?
THAT SUCKS!!!
I'm not sure that I want to re-amp now...

DAW-->soundcard-->(mixer?)-->reamp/DI box-->amp-->mic-->mixer-->soundcard-->DAW

i'm assuming that this is the signal path that your re-amp signal is following...whether the mixer is in there or not on the way out, i would think that solo'ing whichever channel the mic is going through on the way back in would work, no?

I don't even understand the problem. If you're using Direct Monitoring with your card, you probably have a fader for each "in", then either mute it or turn it down. If you're monitoring through Cubase then mute the track. There's no way you can ask a guitar player to play while hearing his DI signal...

@brett: yeah I've tried those, but if i turn the fader down the signal is soft, when i mute it, it doesn't record at all.

Thats why I'm asking here, I think I'm just overlooking something.

so as previously stated you're monitoring your incoming signal rather than the signal OUT of your DAW... hence muting the mixer channel would mute the input to the track in your DAW...

for your DI track, sent it to group output 1-2 (panned left), and NOT Main Mix, and take output 1 and patch that into your DAWs track for the DI guitar... so you'll no longer HEAR it in your main mix, but the audio will still be hitting your DAW.

so as previously stated you're monitoring your incoming signal rather than the signal OUT of your DAW... hence muting the mixer channel would mute the input to the track in your DAW...

for your DI track, sent it to group output 1-2 (panned left), and NOT Main Mix, and take output 1 and patch that into your DAWs track for the DI guitar... so you'll no longer HEAR it in your main mix, but the audio will still be hitting your DAW.

Thanks that was the answer i was looking for.

no prob mang... the other simpler way is to take the 'output' of the channel (send it to the DAW) from the insert on your mixing console and just not return the signal... so again you won't hear it on the Behringer outputs, but you should be able to get it in your DAW

In my soundcards software mixer, if I turn down the individual input faders it only affects what I hear of it, it doesn't change what gets to the DAW. The only thing that governs those levels is the physical preamps.. and that's the way it should be to my mind.