Mystery EPICA Singer at Cleveland Show?

Tarathur

Queen of the ’Ryche
Sep 20, 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Anybody catch the Symphony X/Epica/Into Eternity Show last night? If you didn't, btw, AMAZING performance by all the bands, though I felt Epica's set was cut a bit short. There was a fill-in vocalist due to Simone being out sick, but I didn't catch a name? The woman was amazing! Great voice and phenomenal showmanship! Would be interested in learning more about her, if she has a band, CDs, etc.

-j

She is freaking beautiful. I am seeing them friday in SF, should be a great show. Here is what she had to say in her blog... It is also a trip that her band consists of some great players, Sasha Paeth and Miro from Kamelot collaborations...

Hello my Dears, and especially this time to Epica fans,
Sadly, Simone Simons, the lead singer of the Dutch band Epica, is still ill and will not be able to go on the planned tour through the USA and Canada this coming April-May. As many of you know, Simone and the guys of Epica are very good friends of mine. I have worked with them since their first album and on every album / DVD since their beginnings as the band we know and love that is Epica today. It is for that reason that Simone and the rest of the band have asked me to accompany Epica on the tour while Simone is ill. We all realize that this is a delicate matter and that Epica fans will be disappointed not to be able to see their beloved Simone, however I hope that you can understand the special circumstances and recognize that this is the only alternative to canceling the tour completely.
It’s important to me that you know that it is in no way the band’s nor my intention to replace Simone. She is one-of-a-kind, invaluable to Epica and indeed their front woman and the face of the band. I assure you that I will do my very best to do justice to the performance you have come to expect from Epica and give it my all. Since I co-wrote many of the songs and was Simone’s vocal coach during the recordings of the albums, I feel as comfortable performing the songs as if they were my own.

Here is Epica’s official statement on the matter:

--"The extra weeks of rest, as a result of the cancellation of most of this month’s shows, have helped Simone a lot in recovering from her MRSA infection. Three out of the four aspects in her latest test already showed negative, which is a major step forward! Unfortunately one of these still showed positive. As optimistic as we may be about these final test results, we just cannot risk her health by having her go on tour this soon already. Simone’s doctor also advised her to stay home.

We have come a long way already and we must continue this way to overcome this. Therefore we have decided to ask our good friend Amanda Somerville to substitute Simone on our upcoming USA tour. As you all know, Amanda has been involved with Epica from the beginning as a vocal coach and can also be heard on every album as backing vocalist as well as part of our choir. We are very happy that Amanda is willing to help us out and we are most positive that these extra weeks of rest will give Simone enough time to fully recover from this infection so that she can join us on stage again during our Dutch club shows."--

Thank you for your understanding and for your support. This is, of course, quite a turn of events for us all and a mix of emotions is riding high. Despite the unfortunate circumstances, however, I feel positive about the tour and we will give it our all to make the shows an unforgettable Epica experience!

xx Amanda

She was absolutely amazing.
08Epica1.jpg

Mystery? There's nothing mysterious as to who Amanda Sommerville is. She deserves more recognition than Simone Simons based on her experience and catalog alone.

In fact, she's Simone's vocal coach.

Mystery? There's nothing mysterious as to who Amanda Sommerville is. She deserves more recognition than Simone Simons based on her experience and catalog alone.

In fact, she's Simone's vocal coach.
I was not aware that she's also Simone's vocal coach. Cool. Can't wait to hear her singing live in May!:kickass:

Another bummer that I'm missing the Jaxx show. While Simone is wonderful, I'd love to hear Amanda live as well.

One of these days, I'll actually be able to see concerts again...

Jason

Just got back from the Symphony X/Epica in Chicago and it was amazing! Honestly, I think Amanda Sommerville's voice is even better than Simone's. And I have seen Epica live with Simone. Regardless, I do hope Simone gets better and can rejoin the rest of the band.

I also got to meet Amanda Sommerville after their set. She's a very gracious and classy lady. She was very nice and tried to talk to as many of the fans as she could. A couple guys even hit on her as I was wating to say hello. :lol:

If you like Amanda's singing, you should check out Aina (Days of rising doom) and Avantasia's Scarecrow.
I haven't seen Amanda live yet, but I can imagine she does a better job than Simone (who tends to sing off-key).

Just got back from the Symphony X/Epica in Chicago and it was amazing! Honestly, I think Amanda Sommerville's voice is even better than Simone's. And I have seen Epica live with Simone. Regardless, I do hope Simone gets better and can rejoin the rest of the band.

I also got to meet Amanda Sommerville after their set. She's a very gracious and classy lady. She was very nice and tried to talk to as many of the fans as she could. A couple guys even hit on her as I was wating to say hello. :lol:

We caught the show, too. Amanda's a looker, that's for sure. Nice voice. I didn't know Simone wasn't going to be there, so it was a surprise to see Amanda walk on stage.

We chatted with guitarist Mark Jansen after the show and he said he's having a blast on this tour and that Amanda is doing a great job.

Bill

Amanda has a solo album out that you can get from iTunes (the samples sound like the quality is bad) or Amazon (maybe a safer bet). Does anyone have it? I listened to a few clips and they sounded interesting.