Nerdification of the Metal Nation

i HATE the stereotypical metal idea. yeah, i have long hair and wear metal shirts and spikes...

i am also an eagel scout with a silver palm, vigil honor in OA (its an honor thing off boy scouts), have a soft spot for kittens and romantic evenings.

my grandparents think i sacrafice goats (they seriously do, i shit you not).

just cuz i listen to bands with names like decapitated, gorerotted, exhumed, cannibal corpse, gorguts, dying fetus, grave digger, defecation, zyklon... does not make me a guy who hates jews and sacrafices them for satan and the sheer pleasure of having human blood on my hands.
~gR~

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
Dreamlord - if we staff at Ultimate Metal ever start running Member Awards or anything like that, I personally will nominate you for the 'Member Who Speaks The Most Sense' award... :)

Thanks Dill. Money is always welcome. :D

Originally posted by Wanderingblade

I thought the whole point of Metal was to be yourself, which makes him complaining seem somewhat idiotic...

Oh yeah, and enjoy the music.

Being yourself is not the point of Metal. That is one of the underlying "themes" of metal. Bear with me here. *composes self* The point of metal is to like the music for what it is, not what image it portrays, and not it's symbolism. Example: I love metal. But I don't base my life around it. Metal does not define me. Hell, I don't tell people I listen to metal unless they ask. It's not that I'm ashamed, but that "metal" is not who I am.

Heavy metal is music. Pure and simple. Nothing more, nothing less. Music is entertainment, is it not? Which means heavy metal=entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. It is a medium between the artists (who is hoping you'll buy his cd so he can get paid, and yes, even metal bands do it for money. If they didn't do it for money, they would give it away for free) and the customer. If music wasn't entertainment, you wouldn't need to pay to get in to a concert or pay for that cd.

Another point: Isn't it ironic(don't ya think) that many metalheads today go against the "Abercrombie" generation and that whole image. Yet, by accepting the "metal" image, what are you doing? That's right, you are accepting an image, albeit simply a different one.

That is what I mean by metal defining a person. Wanderingblade, you are right in that you should be yourself. But if a person dresses like their favorite bands and emulates them, are they truly being themselves? Or are they simply following an image? But if that's what they want to do, then more power to 'em. I'm in no position to tell anybody how to live.

So again, the point of metal (at least in my opinion) is simply to enjoy the music for what it is, with the image and bullshit aside. If I want image, I'll listen to Slipknot

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Being yourself is not the point of Metal. That is one of the underlying "themes" of metal. Bear with me here. *composes self* The point of metal is to like the music for what it is, not what image it portrays, and not it's symbolism. Example: I love metal. But I don't base my life around it. Metal does not define me. Hell, I don't tell people I listen to metal unless they ask. It's not that I'm ashamed, but that "metal" is not who I am.

Heavy metal is music. Pure and simple. Nothing more, nothing less.

"METAL is not just music, it IS a way of LIFE!"

i dunno about all of you, but metal is my LIFE. metal DOES define me, i dedicate every waking moment of my being to metal and music in general.
and with that said, i believe that metal is totally free form. you dont HAVE to wear the metal shirts and shit. its all up to you. ive seen guys at metal shows in work suits (white shirt, tie, slacks, etc.). i think i am a living example in that i am an eagle scout and an extreme metal head. the life style is as free form as the music its self. have you ever noticed that there are only 2 genres of music that can be totally free form with just about any influences? those 2 genres are jazz and metal. you dont hear viking R&B do ya? of how death pop. power rap? take bands like thyrfing, sigh, susperia, cephalic carnage, gwar.... all those bands have soo many influences its nuts.

and after saying all that i want every one to know that that is my opinion and my own personal view on the subject
~gR~

I agree with the creator of this topic.

In fact, the responses to this topic ('Its just music,' 'I'm a Xian,' etc) prove his point.

Metal is a style of music, yes. However, its also an art form, as most passionate music is. To take music and transform it into your lifestyle is ridiculous... you can't base your life around riffs, solos, and blastbeats. However, art is a major influence on many peoples' lives, and many people consider themselves artistic and art lovers. I love art... and my art of preference is metal and any forms of 'extreme' art. Art is meant to push the boundaries of ideas and tear down the though structures and consistant patterns of human life. I see a painting of a tree... that's not 'art' to me. Obviously, it then plays a large part in my life.

It is people like you that see it strictly as music that pollute the scene... as the creator of the topic suggested.

All music is art, whether you like it or not. Whether it is good art or not, that is the question.

And please spare me your "OOOh I'm seventeen and I'm elite cuz I listen to metal and look metal and you're not tr00, you Xian" idiotic retorts.

Wanderingblade: You know what? I probably am wrong. But I still don't see how I "pollute" the scene. I buy the cd's don't I? Isn't that supporting the scene?

And thank you for bringing your argument like a man, not like a 5th grader.

I take all forms of musci VERY seriously. Especially any music that is truly being original and innovative. I am an artist, a musician, and a husband. I have to balance my life between making money for somebody other than myself and my pursuit of happiness. My pursuit of happiness revolves around writing and music. They are the only things that make me feel like I'm not wasting my life away. I have strong opinions on art and music, but I don't live my life ONLY for metal music.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Wanderingblade: You know what? I probably am wrong. But I still don't see how I "pollute" the scene. I buy the cd's don't I? Isn't that supporting the scene?

And thank you for bringing your argument like a man, not like a 5th grader.

Its a matter of choice. If you wanna live as a metalhead, long hair, spikes and leather, fine. If you have no particular wish to look like that, fine again. Neither is wrong.

No one who is knowledgable and passionate about Metal Music can pollute the scene IMO. I might have some objections about escapists who try to act all elite, but someone who can put forwards why they like or dislike an album is always to be valued I think.

Oh, and thanks... how old are 5th graders anyway?

Originally posted by Wanderingblade
Its a matter of choice. If you wanna live as a metalhead, long hair, spikes and leather, fine. If you have no particular wish to look like that, fine again. Neither is wrong.

No one who is knowledgable and passionate about Metal Music can pollute the scene IMO. I might have some objections about escapists who try to act all elite, but someone who can put forwards why they like or dislike an album is always to be valued I think.

Oh, and thanks... how old are 5th graders anyway?

All fine points. The people who I am mainly talking about are the "escapists". People who dress the part, but if you try to talk to them about metal, they're like "huh?" Oh yeah, elitists suck too.

5th graders= 10 years old? :confused:

Originally posted by npearce
I listen to metal because it's all I can find in the record stores.

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?! where is divine utopia? i must go there immediatly.
~gR~