NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

I have synesthesia and it's also that I can sort of smell/taste some songs too. Different sounds in a song can be like watercolor like bursts of colour. But if I want to concentrate on a single instrument I can close my eyes and sort of watch it dance around as a certain colour line. For example some keyboards on FTR are pastel mint green for some reason.
Some songs have that sort of an atmosphere that it's super strong and it's like almost like touching something or tasting something. Some songs on Blooddrunk smell like a warm rainy muddy weather, they feel like sticking your toes into soft dirt. Transference smells like shitty coin machine coffee, the intro guitar sound is a metallic silver grey that fades into purple... Shovel Knockout smells like wet cardboard, the bass in the beginning is this weird yellow/grey/orange and then the guitars come in, they're light blue and pastel purple. The colors are always in harmony even if they may sound like strange combinations.
Keyboard sounds are soft, slimy, shiny, squishy, guitar sounds are like lightning and the colors are metallic and shiny.
Vocals look/feel kind of static. At least raspy, scream vocals.
Mask Of Sanity is one of my all time favorite songs because it is really just such an enjoyable experience and it smells so fresh, no matter where I am it's like a late october day and the air is so cold it's kinda like sour. The colours are so vibrant and nice and it always makes me feel awesome. I really just often find a song that I like and just listen to it again and again and again. Three hours of Tie My Rope? yes.

I think its cool that I've often seen green and purple come up in conversations about this bc those are very dominant colors in my COB experience and you dont even understand how happy I was about the cover art of Hexed. I was kind of wishing for a pink art too since I know they could have made it work.

Last edited:
Reactions: rj rl and COB-666
Just wanted to say I’ve been re-listening to the album after taking a bit of a break from it and I can safely say this easily one of their best bodies of work.
While it is nowhere close to HB/FT in style, the caliber of music to me is up there with their classics and the craftsmanship they display on the album is absolutely amazing. Each song has its own personality and moves me in some kind of way. I can also enjoy/relate to the lyrics a great deal too which Is lacking on certain other Bodom albums.
There’s a couple of odd songs in there that vary depending on mood that I find myself skipping at times but besides that , it’s an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me

Such a shame this band broke up

Man, the release of Hexed is almost 2 year ago. Time flies...

Time for a new song rating:

1. PABW (9/10)

2. Soon Departed (8,5/10)
3. Hexed (8,5/10)

4. This Road (7/10)

5. SNLB (6,5/10)

6. Relapse (6/10)

7. Glass Houses (5/10)

8. KIAS (2/10)
9. Hecate's (2/10)

10. UGAC (1/10)

They should have not released this album. At least Alexi would already have an album out with BAM, which would be considered a nice start instead of a bad/mediocre end of COB:(

I haven't once returned to the album since the release pretty much. There's so much music that is massively better than the last few COB albums, it's not worth the time listening to them imo

There are a few great songs on the last four albums but as a whole they aren't as good as the earlier stuff. I like Hexed a lot but I rarely listen to the whole album, more just my favorite few songs. It's still better than IWC and HOB in my opinion.

I haven't once returned to the album since the release pretty much. There's so much music that is massively better than the last few COB albums, it's not worth the time listening to them imo
Can you me some recommendations on better stuff?

This sounds more like a holy war bait than an honest question. If we're talking MDM bands, I enjoyed all of these a lot better than late COB:

And I don't even listen to a lot of MDM anymore. Plenty fantastic bands in other genres.

This sounds more like a holy war bait than an honest question. If we're talking MDM bands, I enjoyed all of these a lot better than late COB:

And I don't even listen to a lot of MDM anymore. Plenty fantastic bands in other genres.

All these are shit, except Kalmah

ahahahahhahahahahahhahaahahahahhahahahahahhahaahahahahhahahahahahhahaahahahahh
wait let me take a breath
hahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhah

Reactions: tragician
I'm not Rj, but I have been listening a lot less to metal recently, mostly due to that one band I discovered. I think they completely transformed my musical taste and I'm really struggling to go back to metal nowadays. They're called Cardiacs, and I can only recommend you to check them out. I feel like I must warn you in advance though, they are REALLY special.
Every single song is a gem, but if I had to recommend a few (without any specific listening order) it'd be:
- Fiery Gun Hand (absolutely fucked up rhythms and one of my all-time favourite guitar solo at 3:24)
- Jitterbug (the best and most trippy outro I've heard).
- Tarred and Feathered (the song I discovered the band with, took me some time to learn to appreciate it)
- She's Hiding Behind the Shed.
- Clean That Evil Mud Out of Your Soul (quite a funny intro)
- Dog Like Sparky.
- Mare's Nest.
- A Horse's Tail.

Just to name a few of them, but as I said, I find every single of their songs to be a whole musical universe on its own. Haven't been able to listen to anything else than Cardiacs and its members' side projects (which are quite similar, albeit far less great). Let me know what you think of it if you ever give them a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: rj rl
Rj, what do you listen to from other genres? I always like hearing other metal peoples' non-metal tastes
I was mainly talking about other (sub)genres of metal, this is ultimatemetal forums after all. In terms of non-metal music here's some great stuff I've discovered (for myself, so some big names there) in the last couple years:
  • world/ethnic/folk: Bokante, Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita, Flook, Silly Wizard
  • blues/old-school rnb: Lianne La Havas (♥♥♥), Lee Fields, Livin' Blues
  • ambient/electronic: Shpongle, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Lemon Jelly
  • jazzy stuff: Snarky Puppy (what a fucking band!), Free Radicals (these ones), Jan Johansson, plus a bunch of classics like Brubeck, Yusef Lateef, Ellington, etc.
  • vaguely rock music: Dire Straits, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, The Cranberries, R.E.M., Radiohead
  • the most random genres: Cornelius, The Sugarcubes, London Grammar, Joanna Newsom, J Dilla
  • a big bunch of classical composers
  • a big bunch of russian bands cause im russian
So all in all, I can't be arsed to listen to the last few COB albums again and again in hope of finding something truly remarkable just because they were once my favorite band

Last edited: