New Kamelot - Silverthorn

If you have never heard Kamelot before and check this album out as a Prog power fan , this is a great album......

On the other hand you can never get away from comparisons when really big band in a genre changes vocalist so here is my take on that:

Tommy is 11 years younger than Roy. Both Roy and Tommy were in another band before joining Kamelot and released acclaimed albums in their genre. At this point what made sense to me is to compare their performances with their first album with Kamelot. So when you check out vocal performances in their first album with Kamelot (Roy at 28 with Siege Perilous and Tommy at 31 with Silverthorn), Tommy did fantastic job exceeding my expectations as I was looking at the comparison this way.

Song for Jolee is a classic (goosebumps all over). Future is bright for Kamelot.

I've listened to the album twice so far since I got it on Thursday. Once casually in the car with friends and once alone with the lights out intently on the HIFI. I like it. It's hard to tell after only 2 listens how much I like it but I know for sure that I like "Ashes to Ashes" a lot.

If we're rating Kamelot albums.. nothing beats the Epica-Black Halo era for me. Simply masterful albums:

Fourth Legacy: 6/10
Epica: 10/10
Black Halo: 9/10
Ghost Opera: 8/10
Poetry for the Poisoned: 5/10
Silverthorn: 8/10

I don't know how anyone could say Epica is whatever they left off Karma. To me 4th Legacy and Karma were a completely separate style for Kamelot, more proggy and better written than Siege Perilous and before, but still quite power-metal and not too much in the way of their symphonic development yet.

Epica turned Kamelot into what they are today. The layering, keyboard driven element introduced put them over the top into the leaders of prog-power. Epica and Black Halo were absolute masterpieces, and I feel their next "era."

Ghost Opera and PftP were IMO weaker albums attempting to maintain that magic, but the songwriting seemed to become much more forced and less creative/dynamic. Silverthorn is also a relatively uncreative album based on song-writing, but they've seemed to return to mastering their formulamatic and simple songs in a way that's made almost every song on the album a killer.

Siege Perilous 6/10- A great album, overshadowed by its lack of decent production, still needed the fine tuning
The Fourth Legacy 9.5/10- Fantastic power metal album with fantastic lyrical content, with great musicianship throughout, It has one of the best ballads that Kamelot has written, "Glory".
Karma 10/10- Whenever I think of a perfect power metal album, I think of this album, it brings out so many classics, and really nothing can even touch the Elizabeth trilogy.
Epica 9/10- I feel like this album the story flowed much better from song to song and felt more of a conceptual journey than the Black Halo.
Black Halo 8/10 Individually the songs were fantastic, the story in the lyrics didnt make as much sense as Epica in my opinion, and lacked the charm at time. Definately the highlight of this album is Memento Mori
Ghost Opera 7/10- I think its a powerful album in its own right, yet it has some downfalls in the song writing portion. Though Edenecho redeems the albums faults in my eyes, such a beautiful and inspiring song
Poetry for the Poisoned 7/10- I really enjoyed the darker and more "real" sound this album had, the guitars were heavy and you could feel the pain in Khan's voice at times. The Zodiac and train of thought are my fav tracks.
Silverthorn 8.5/10 A step up from their last two albums writing wise, however the production wasnt to my liking. The orchestral parts at times drowned the guitars, and Tommy's voice wasnt mixed well in contrast to some of the parts of the song writing. However those are small mishaps on the producer's end. Ashes to Ashes and Prodigal Son are defiantely my fav tracks from their new album.

Siege Perilous 6/10- A great album, overshadowed by its lack of decent production, still needed the fine tuning
The Fourth Legacy 9.5/10- Fantastic power metal album with fantastic lyrical content, with great musicianship throughout, It has one of the best ballads that Kamelot has written, "Glory".
Karma 10/10- Whenever I think of a perfect power metal album, I think of this album, it brings out so many classics, and really nothing can even touch the Elizabeth trilogy.
Epica 9/10- I feel like this album the story flowed much better from song to song and felt more of a conceptual journey than the Black Halo.
Black Halo 8/10 Individually the songs were fantastic, the story in the lyrics didnt make as much sense as Epica in my opinion, and lacked the charm at time. Definately the highlight of this album is Memento Mori
Ghost Opera 7/10- I think its a powerful album in its own right, yet it has some downfalls in the song writing portion. Though Edenecho redeems the albums faults in my eyes, such a beautiful and inspiring song
Poetry for the Poisoned 7/10- I really enjoyed the darker and more "real" sound this album had, the guitars were heavy and you could feel the pain in Khan's voice at times. The Zodiac and train of thought are my fav tracks.
Silverthorn 8.5/10 A step up from their last two albums writing wise, however the production wasnt to my liking. The orchestral parts at times drowned the guitars, and Tommy's voice wasnt mixed well in contrast to some of the parts of the song writing. However those are small mishaps on the producer's end. Ashes to Ashes and Prodigal Son are defiantely my fav tracks from their new album.

That's about how I'd rate them as well.

Eternity and Dominion had their moments, but Kamelot wasn't quite firing on all cylinders until Khan came on board. Even with that he couldn't save Siege Perilous from being mediocre. It just never seemed to me that this material was written for him. I think he penned the lyrics, but the music didn't seem to fit right.

I do consider The Fourth Legacy and Karma to be Kamelot's high water mark. I would give T4L a 10 .. perfect disc for me, and Karma a 9.5. T4L is where it all came together, and Karma continued it.

Epica and Black Halo are 8.5's. I'd give the slight edge to Epica. The concept behind these two never really struck a whord with me. The songs are good, but I never consider these discs when I am discussing my favorite concept albums.

Ghost Opera is an 8. I like this disc better than many seem to. It just seemed like the right kind of changeup at the right time.

Poetry was okay, but probably just a 7 or 7.5. This one is their most lackluster.

I haven't spent much time with the new one, so I can't really judge it. I just haven't been all that compelled to spin it for some reason.

Britt