New Kamelot - Silverthorn

I've had this album pre-ordered since June or whatever. I've been listening to this album for a week now. Let me say, the first few listens left much to be desired. I couldn't make sense of what they were going for. All of a sudden on the 5th or 6th listen, it clicked like nothing else before. I've been thinking about and listening to this album nonstop since at least tuesday. I can't listen to anything else. Standout tracks for me so far are Sacrimony, My Confession, Silverthorn, Fallin.....aw hell the whole god damn album for hell's sake. I know people might take this as a strong statement, but for me this is their best album (as a whole) since The Black Halo. DO NOT judge this album on the first few listens. The Black Halo was this way for me as well.

Yes, I made a mistake and probably will again, given the volume of photos, live reports, CD/DVD reviews and interviews I do (for free, the days of paid metal journalism in North America are all but over) for one of the only websites that people read religiously.

However, your (incorrect) assertion that I know nothing of Kamelot history is laughable. Not only do I know it, but lived portions of it firsthand. Apart from co-BW&BK scribe Carl Begai (who lives in Germany), you’d be hard-pressed to find any industry person whose done more to continuously promote the band in North America, be it through the pages of Metal Maniacs, BW&BK, or countless other short-lived national/international rags, as well as online. Guess there’s a reason my name appears in credits for Fourth Legacy, The Expedition and Karma…

First met Thom Younglood in ’99, at the ICED EARTH show at Harbor Lights, outside Philadelphia. Soon thereafter, stayed at his suburban DC townhouse. He was still working for German clothing manufacturer Kappa. We talked about the Midi files that would eventually become ideas for Fourth Legacy and attended a Guano Apes show downtown.

Who spent his own money to travel to Wolfsburg, Germany, again staying with Youngblood, during the recording of the aforementioned album and interview he and Roy Khan in a tiny pub? Months later, various designs for the album cover were viewed/discussed.

At the start of the millennium, travelled annually to Florida, to hang w/ the band, including taking a $50 one-way cab ride to see drummer Casey Grillo’s cover band at a ritzy, on the beach St. Pete hotel, seeing a funk band in Ybor City with Youngblood, Ian Parry (ex-ELEGY, who used Grillo’s studio for his CONSORTIUM PROJECT) and their girlfriends, attending local club warm-ups for European tours at Brass Mug and Boomerz, buying Tex-Mex lunch for Youngblood, Jon Drenning (CRIMSON GLORY) at now a defunct Rocky Pointe Island eatery, prior to listening to Astronomica, or going to southern rock cover band with Glenn Barry, Casey, Tom, Gunter Werno and others.

Seen/reviewed/interviewed the band more than two dozen times, in Germany (Wacken, BYH), NYC, Florida, Atlanta and Philadelphia, with three of the four vocalists: Khan, Karevik, and Fabio Lione.

Keep supporting Kamelot
Cheers!

Yes, I made a mistake and probably will again, given the volume of photos, live reports, CD/DVD reviews and interviews I do (for free, the days of paid metal journalism in North America are all but over) for one of the only websites that people read religiously.

However, your (incorrect) assertion that I know nothing of Kamelot history is laughable. Not only do I know it, but lived portions of it firsthand. Apart from co-BW&BK scribe Carl Begai (who lives in Germany), you’d be hard-pressed to find any industry person whose done more to continuously promote the band in North America, be it through the pages of Metal Maniacs, BW&BK, or countless other short-lived national/international rags, as well as online. Guess there’s a reason my name appears in credits for Fourth Legacy, The Expedition and Karma…

First met Thom Younglood in ’99, at the ICED EARTH show at Harbor Lights, outside Philadelphia. Soon thereafter, stayed at his suburban DC townhouse. He was still working for German clothing manufacturer Kappa. We talked about the Midi files that would eventually become ideas for Fourth Legacy and attended a Guano Apes show downtown.

Who spent his own money to travel to Wolfsburg, Germany, again staying with Youngblood, during the recording of the aforementioned album and interview he and Roy Khan in a tiny pub? Months later, various designs for the album cover were viewed/discussed.

At the start of the millennium, travelled annually to Florida, to hang w/ the band, including taking a $50 one-way cab ride to see drummer Casey Grillo’s cover band at a ritzy, on the beach St. Pete hotel, seeing a funk band in Ybor City with Youngblood, Ian Parry (ex-ELEGY, who used Grillo’s studio for his CONSORTIUM PROJECT) and their girlfriends, attending local club warm-ups for European tours at Brass Mug and Boomerz, buying Tex-Mex lunch for Youngblood, Jon Drenning (CRIMSON GLORY) at now a defunct Rocky Pointe Island eatery, prior to listening to Astronomica, or going to southern rock cover band with Glenn Barry, Casey, Tom, Gunter Werno and others.

Seen/reviewed/interviewed the band more than two dozen times, in Germany (Wacken, BYH), NYC, Florida, Atlanta and Philadelphia, with three of the four vocalists: Khan, Karevik, and Fabio Lione.

Keep supporting Kamelot
Cheers!

Hey what's Glenn Barry up to besides his art design career? Is he planning on playing music ever again? I miss his bass lines. Not that I don't like Sean....

Keep supporting Kamelot
Cheers!

And here I thought you deliberately chose to ignore the first two albums just like the band ;)

To be honest, I've made bigger mistakes than that myself when I used to write professionally for magazines back in Europe. It's all good; I'm well aware of the great things you're doing to promote the band and the genre. I just happened to find the first sentence funny.

Appreciate the kind words. Actually thought about saying something about Thom dismissing the first two albums too (haha)!
Pushing the band to bigger heights, especially now w/ Karevik, is always the goal.

Mark

Ignore the first 2 albums? What about Siege Perilous and The Fourth Legacy? Other than Nights of Arabia they don't really play anything from those albums anymore that I know of.

Keep supporting Kamelot
Cheers!

Defensive much, Mark?? :ill: