New Symphony X album Underworld in July!!!!

What I'm getting at is just because someone doesn't like the bands more 'aggressive' approach doesn't mean they are against a band changing or progressing. I'm not much of a fan what they are doing either, got nothing to do with it being heavier or less 'prog', its more that I just don't thinks its very good.

I was generalizing out based on this current reaction. I don't disagree with you that you can not like the new direction and not be against progress. I don't begrudge PoS the Roadsalts, but I sure ain't buyin' 'em. But coded in the whinging of some is the "why can't they just make V again," or insert other album for other band, which I do quite take issue with. Perhaps that's a bit of a fine point, but whatever.

I do love how many panties I successfully bunched, though.

The KC joke started with Aeonic Slumber's post. I merely built off of it. It's not from a distaste for prog. There's no power metal in my top 10 of '14 unless you count Voyager, Hemina, or Anubis Gate as power which I definitely do not.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grok
A handy term coined by one of sci-fi's greats.

That make two of us out of how many???

This forum is mostly made up of power metal fans...

To paraphrase The Apostle Paul, I listen to progressive music 'more than ye all'. I am WAY into 'the complex side of metal music'. I am as prog as thou art. So all that jive doesn't apply to me.

However, I do have a question for you. One which I would like you to respond to thoughtfully and in detail. You've listened to the song in question...'Nevermore'. Do you consider that song to be a power metal song?

Certainly more power than progressive...

Everyone has their own opinion as to what is progressive and what isn't so for me it really isn't but does have some hints of what I like in music so maybe the rest of the disc actually has keys in it and changes up a lot more which would be great...

I was generalizing out based on this current reaction. I don't disagree with you that you can not like the new direction and not be against progress. I don't begrudge PoS the Roadsalts, but I sure ain't buyin' 'em. But coded in the whinging of some is the "why can't they just make V again," or insert other album for other band, which I do quite take issue with. Perhaps that's a bit of a fine point, but whatever.

I do love how many panties I successfully bunched, though.

Congrats on your success out here... We all need to have some goals in life!

I'm with you about the PoS salt discs and a lot of that for me has to do with the singing being mostly angry just like the direction that Sym X have gone...

So how is this any different?

That make two of us out of how many???

This forum is mostly made up of power metal fans...

Jaydub, Metulhed, LaneMiller, Melbcro, and Glenn just off the top of my head. Add in anyone whose username is based on PoS, DT, or the like and the list grows.

There're lots of fans of both. There are lots of fans of one or the other. I like both, but skew far more prog. I don't think either side really has a majority.

Congrats on your success out here... We all need to have some goals in life!

I'm with you about the PoS salt discs and a lot of that for me has to do with the singing being mostly angry just like the direction that Sym X have gone...

So how is this any different?

What I was poking at is some people's inability to move past their favored period. There's an always present chorus when a big genre name does something different from "their prime," and it always makes me laugh that these supposed fans of progressive can't handle progress. In this case it's Russ' vocals not being all of the pretty variety.

It's different because I don't obsess about an old favorite not being a current favorite. I don't mind that they zigged when I zagged. I don't bring it up every time they do a new thing that I also don't care for. Not liking a new direction is fine, it happens daily. Whinging every time someone didn't course correct to what you want is just insipid, imo.

What I was poking at is some people's inability to move past their favored period. There's an always present chorus when a big genre name does something different from "their prime," and it always makes me laugh that these supposed fans of progressive can't handle progress. In this case it's Russ' vocals not being all of the pretty variety.

It's different because I don't obsess about an old favorite not being a current favorite. I don't mind that they zigged when I zagged. I don't bring it up every time they do a new thing that I also don't care for. Not liking a new direction is fine, it happens daily. Whinging every time someone didn't course correct to what you want is just insipid, imo.

It's more than just Russells vocals being only aggressive.. You do see that right?

When it comes to progressive bands with large catalogs... There will be plenty of music that I don't seem to care for and won't purchase simply because when I'm in the mood for them it will be the "favorite" period that I will choose... Life it too short to settle on listening to a disc that you don't like as much as another...

Jaydub, Metulhed, LaneMiller, Melbcro, and Glenn just off the top of my head. Add in anyone whose username is based on PoS, DT, or the like and the list grows.

There're lots of fans of both. There are lots of fans of one or the other. I like both, but skew far more prog. I don't think either side really has a majority.

Count me as a "Both-er" and I even venture into Jazz/jazz fusion, blues, and shit that has no genre label (ie. Zappa) Calling me either a powermetal-head, or a Progmetal head is not correct, I like MUSIC. There's a lot of great stuff out there, from lots of different genres. I always find arguing about music is like arguing about other arts. I usually only participate to stir the pot once in a while. And I am not allowed to comment about PoS....:devil:

I've got one too. You have to be able to make fun of yourself and the things you like if you want to be truly open minded.

I'm going to have to find one to wear this year, just as a tribute to this thread (and I like the majority of KC stuff! And 100% agree here, if you can't crack on yourself once in a while, you aren't doing it right!

God damn you guys are making the old Jasonic/Diabolik brawls look appealing. Man up for angry Russ's sake!

This is a brawl???

It's more than just his singing and I was mistaken to believe that everyone out here could hear that in their "new" music style...

I was never a fan of 'angry russ' I can tolerate it in small doses, but it gets old after a while. He has a much better melodic voice IMO. They've been getting less and less progressive with every release.

I don't fault them really, it pays the bills.