New Volbeat...

No offense. But much of what is in Marvel and DC is poorly drawn. Many comic book artists are terrible. Some are amazing. But most have a strong inability to draw consistently, and a lack of understanding of body proportions.

Art is still subjective. Personally I like the artwork, even if I can see its influences.

You're right....art is subjective. However.....I love Accept and Motorhead but I will be the last person to say that Udo and Lemmy are great singers. Liking something does not mean that it's well crafted. I re-read Zod's post and he didn't say "great cover" or "cool cover", he said "great artwork". I was commenting on the drawing itself, which is not too good.
Sorry I've derailed this thread. Best of luck to Volbeat!

No offense. But much of what is in Marvel and DC is poorly drawn. Many comic book artists are terrible. Some are amazing. But most have a strong inability to draw consistently, and a lack of understanding of body proportions.

Art is still subjective. Personally I like the artwork, even if I can see its influences.

Is there anything worse than how Wolverine was drawn in the Marvel Civil War series....Blech! :yuk:

I like the cover, and the cd is growing on me...:headbang:

Crap....one more thought.
Imagine if you were an experienced metal vocalist and someone made this comment about your profession:
"No offense. But much of the vocals in metal music are poorly sung. Many metal singers are terrible. Some are amazing. But most have no technique, scream and growl all the time, and are way too over-the-top in their delivery with no understanding of nuance."
Kind of dismissive, isn't it?:heh:

I caught it this morning, and I've already given it 3 spins. I'm not sure why, but these guys just resonate with me.

Zod's right about the breakthrough success. This disc does everything right as far as pleasing current fans while simultaneously opening them up to new audiences.

If Maybellene I hofteholder is too poppy for you, just listen to Hallelujah Goat or Wild Rover of Hell. You'll be banging your head in seconds.
How are these guys going to have breakthru success here when no outlet plays their stuff? Are they lined up for a video on MTV I don't know about, or in line for radio airplay somewhere? Without that nobody in the US is going to know who these guys are.

Britt

How are these guys going to have breakthru success here when no outlet plays their stuff? Are they lined up for a video on MTV I don't know about, or in line for radio airplay somewhere? Without that nobody in the US is going to know who these guys are.

Britt

Hell, even Within Temptation is having that issue. And the whole reason? Roadrunner isn't giving the radio stations enough money to play them during peak hours. And this is why I do not listen to the radio anymore.

Bad proportions? Never?
sncape.jpg

What the hell is this from?

Sorry Zod, I have to disagree with you. You may know your way around music (I guess), but you seem to know NOTHING about artwork.
That must be true. Because here I sit, falsely under the impression that art is subjective.

People can wax poetic about art, fine wines, well aged cigars, or anything else they have a deep appreciation of. However, in the end, all of those things fall into two basic categories for me; that which I like and that which I don't like. I don't much care if a taster from Wine Spectator believes a wine has slight hints of oak, a perfect balance and a delicate finish. My only concern is, do I like it? In a similar vein, I don't care about brush strokes, use of color, technique, etc. When I look at a piece of cover art, my only criteria is, does it appeal to me? To my mind, that picture perfectly sums up Volbeat and the attitude of the music on the CD. And while I'm sure the artists who draw the graphic novels you read would do a better job, that doesn't matter to me.

And for what it's worth... I agree with your opinion on Iced Earth's cover art.

Zod

That must be true. Because here I sit, falsely under the impression that art is subjective.

People can wax poetic about art, fine wines, well aged cigars, or anything else they have a deep appreciation of. However, in the end, all of those things fall into two basic categories for me; that which I like and that which I don't like. I don't much care if a taster from Wine Spectator believes a wine has slight hints of oak, a perfect balance and a delicate finish. My only concern is, do I like it? In a similar vein, I don't care about brush strokes, use of color, technique, etc. When I look at a piece of cover art, my only criteria is, does it appeal to me? To my mind, that picture perfectly sums up Volbeat and the attitude of the music on the CD. And while I'm sure the artists who draw the graphic novels you read would do a better job, that doesn't matter to me.

And for what it's worth... I agree with your opinion on Iced Earth's cover art.

Zod

Well said Zod. As I had mentioned before, I was too "enthusiastic" with my reply, but it is a subject that has been my career for the last decade and a half. It's cool that you (and others) dig the cover.... but, from a technical perspective, it's still not a very good drawing. I guess I'll return to the old words of wisdom....."if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".:headbang:

Crap....one more thought.
Imagine if you were an experienced metal vocalist and someone made this comment about your profession:
"No offense. But much of the vocals in metal music are poorly sung. Many metal singers are terrible. Some are amazing. But most have no technique, scream and growl all the time, and are way too over-the-top in their delivery with no understanding of nuance."
Kind of dismissive, isn't it?:heh:

Sure. But if I knew the singer, and respected the singer's technical ability, that would be different. I was mostly just stating that in your own profession there are tons of technically poor artists. However, its about the expression in comics. Same with the posted art.

p.s. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy comics. Long time reader. I also used to hang on AOL with some of the Marvel folks.

Sure. But if I knew the singer, and respected the singer's technical ability, that would be different. I was mostly just stating that in your own profession there are tons of technically poor artists. However, its about the expression in comics. Same with the posted art.

p.s. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy comics. Long time reader. I also used to hang on AOL with some of the Marvel folks.

Cool. I've been working with Marvel for the last 4+ years, so there's a chance that you might have seen my stuff. Hell, you might think it's the worst stuff that Marvel publishes.....who knows? But, since I've been working non-stop for the last 15 years, I must be doing something right.
Sorry for the hub-bub folks. I'll try to play nice from now on!o_O

Well said Zod. As I had mentioned before, I was too "enthusiastic" with my reply, but it is a subject that has been my career for the last decade and a half. It's cool that you (and others) dig the cover.... but, from a technical perspective, it's still not a very good drawing. I guess I'll return to the old words of wisdom....."if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".
No worries. I kind of assumed from your nick, that you're someone who is heavily into comics/graphic novels/art, etc. And I have no doubt you have a far greater appreciation and much deeper understanding of such things than myself. And I can appreciate that passion can lead to an overzealous response (I think I may have been guilty of one or two of those over the years :loco:). And I could have better chosen my words. What I meant to say, was that the cover art is very cool. I just dig the vibe of it.

Zod

I for one am happy to see Volbeat off the ticket. I've given their albums quiet a few spins to grow on me, but the whole "50's" theme makes me feel a bit...nauseated to say the least. I even gave this album a couple of plays, in hope that their style might have changed from their previous efforts and somehow give me a change of heart about them. But that isn't the case here. It seems as if Volbeat will continue with their "Elvis" influenced music. I'm glad to have Mustasch on the bill, though mediocre in many aspects, at least I wont be forced to go back 5 decades for an hour plus.

I like the new cd. And I've heard several Volbeat songs played on WHJY's the Metal Zone radio program (Rhode Island) on Saturday nights.

Here is what I posted on PX:2 and Power Zone boards:

VOLBEAT-Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood is an excellent album, and will be likely in my top 5 of 2008. If you already know the band, you can expect their usual mix of 50s rock'n'roll-ish stuff with crunchy metal riffs and the sometimes Elvis-like vocals. The guys love Elvis and old Metallica and it shows. However, this 3rd album is more varied than before. It seems to go in a more "popular" direction, with catchier songs, some a bit more "poppier". The vocals are better too, but with more backing vox, given the songs a more "polished" sound.

But the album is still quite heavy as a whole and the metal is still there enough for me to enjoy. So, this is an album to check out and also a band to discover for those who never heard them so far.

Hopefully, this new album will be easier to buy on the net at a reasonable price, cause it was hard to get the first 2 ones...

I tried the new one and although I do hear the diversity and multitude of styles that Zod was mentioning, I don't think any of the songs have that strong enough hook to really make a HUGE impact. It is, however, easily digestible for the masses I think. Very flat reaction from me on this one.

I tried the new one and although I do hear the diversity and multitude of styles that Zod was mentioning, I don't think any of the songs have that strong enough hook to really make a HUGE impact. It is, however, easily digestible for the masses I think. Very flat reaction from me on this one.
The title track is pretty damned catchy ... they ought to trot that song out next.

I've listened to this disc a few time now ... I like it .. it's a little more diverse than their other discs, but maybe a bit lighter in heaviness and metalness than their others. Good disc though.

Britt