Nightwish at HOB 10/27/2007

Saladbar

Jose Saladbar
Feb 12, 2007
Elgin, IL
Just got back from the show, before you read this keep in mind that I’m a new fan of Nightwish, I never saw them with Tarja and I like both versions of this band.

Having said that, this was a very good show. My plan to sit by the bar to avoid the kiddies backfired on me cause I was with Orbweaber, Al and a mutual friend of ours who is only 20yrs old. Needless to say a security guard made her step away from the bar and into the floor area, well I wasn’t about to leave my friend all by herself down there so I went to the floor as well to be with her.
Paradise Lost were ok I guess, the whole band stood there in one spot the whole time except for the bald guitar player who was a little too excited to be there, like I said they were just ok.
I honestly can’t remember when was the last time that I saw a show with just one opening band, that is the best thing ever! The place was packed but surprisingly the floor wasn’t as crowded as I thought it would be, it was still pretty crowded but I didn’t have someone’s armpit in my face the whole night.
Nightwish finally went on, they opened with “Bye bye beautifull”, Annette sounded really good right away, it’s one thing to see a crappy cell phone video on youtube then actually seeing her live. “Amaranth” and "Dark Chest of wonders” followed. I don’t know the whole setlist but I do remember a couple of things that stood out. They did “The islander” a bit early in the set, the crowd was really hipper and then they hit us with this acoustic song, I don’t know why but it felt kinna lame, they should of played it later in the set when the audience was a bit more tired. “The Poet and the Pendulum” was freaking awesome, I just wish they had somewhat of a light show because in that really slow part in the middle we just saw Annette hanging out in front of her mic while Marco and Emppu were next to Tuomas playing the slow parts, meanwhile the audience is staring at purple lights with no movement.
Annette is a really good singer, like I said before I think the only bad thing is that she has to sing songs that were not written for her voice and on “Sleeping Sun” it showed. She practically “Talked” the song instead of singing it. For the encores they did Nemo and it was really great, definitely a crowd favorite and probably the best song of the night as far as crowd reaction and Annette’s vocals. “Wishmaster” was next, if you’ve seen the video on youtube form earlier in the tour you see that Annette was practically yodeling during the oOoOoOHhHhHhhh’s at the beginning, someone must have told her to stop doing that cause she didn’t do it tonight, however she still came up short.

Here's the yodeling video from Hamburg, Germany:
The last song was “I wish I had an Angel” and that tune went over good as well.
One thing that I have to mention is that Marco is god! That dude has such a presence on stage, it’s not that he’s a really good bass player (nice pick) but he just has this bad ass persona thing going, I think he sounds like a Hetfield that can actually sing.
Well there you have it, I had a good time and I won’t think twice about seeing them again when they play the Pearl Room next year.
Let the hattin' begin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marco totally impressed me live last time. I suggest picking up Tarot...that is his other band who are really good but the newest disc was a bit weak. When I saw them last time my jaw dropped watching him live. Great stage pressence and a godly voice. Glad the show was good. With Therion having one opening act and same with Nightwish...maybe this will be the new thing. yeah right. I left last night not worn out from sitting through so many bands.
I figureded Annette would do a great job live...I cant see them getting her if not. I just wonder how long the love will last with her.

Figured the crowd would be very young. When I saw them last time it was a really odd mix, office types who were in their 40's and 50's, some metal heads, and lots of little goth kids. I am still trying to figure out the whole Within Temptation crowd thing....now that was a weird crowd.

Marco totally impressed me live last time. I suggest picking up Tarot...that is his other band who are really good but the newest disc was a bit weak. When I saw them last time my jaw dropped watching him live. Great stage pressence and a godly voice. Glad the show was good. With Therion having one opening act and same with Nightwish...maybe this will be the new thing. yeah right. I left last night not worn out from sitting through so many bands.
I figureded Annette would do a great job live...I cant see them getting her if not. I just wonder how long the love will last with her.

Figured the crowd would be very young. When I saw them last time it was a really odd mix, office types who were in their 40's and 50's, some metal heads, and lots of little goth kids. I am still trying to figure out the whole Within Temptation crowd thing....now that was a weird crowd.

Marco is a monster live.

I actually had a good time and enjoyed the show. And you all know that I went into this show feeling rather hostile.

Anette did a good job. I didn't like how she did some of the Tarja-era songs, but otherwise, she held her own very well.

I actually had a good time and enjoyed the show. And you all know that I went into this show feeling rather hostile.

Anette did a good job. I didn't like how she did some of the Tarja-era songs, but otherwise, she held her own very well.

was Al being a sour puss? Still cant stop laughing from Snowy Shaw busting him out.:lol:

was Al being a sour puss? Still cant stop laughing from Snowy Shaw busting him out.:lol:

HA! HA! It's funny, I told him "I heard you got called out last night" and he busted out laughing. I was on the floor and him and Orbweaver were by the bar so she'll have to tell you.

Yes, I have to hear this story.

At Therion Al wasnt a big fan of the band and he was right up front and had this bored look on his face and was resting his hand on his face watching the show. At one point in the song Snowy was getting the crowd pumped and trying to get everyone clapping and screaming and he must have been watch Al most of the night because he finally looked over and started at him and pointed at him and gave him the "whats up" look and notioned for him too look alive. It was funnier if you were there since it was one of those visual things. I have never seen anyone get busted out by a band before on stage.....well actually once my brother and I were at a show and he looked over the stage to see the set list and the singer grabbed it and after the song he was like....what song are we playing next??? He answered correctly and it was the song everyone wanted to hear too, so the band didnt play it to punish him. it was pretty funny.

Boring. Very, very boring. The singer just stood there, clutching the mic stand the whole time. The only one with any energy was one of the guitar players (Rhythm, perhaps? The bald guy.) They bore me on CD, and they bore me live.