Nirvana Poll

I must say, I'm quite surprised.

Quite surprised that I like them?
I have liked a TON of different sorts of stuff throughout the years.
My interest in Nirvana came from my underground punk and hardcore years.
Nirvana was big in the record collecting circuit, from having a single as part of the SUB POP singles club.

When Nevermind came out, to be honest, one of the primary reasons I was interested in checking it out was because of Dave Grohl. I was a big fan of the early Dischord stuff, which includes his former band SCREAM.

It was cool hanging out with you back then in the late 80's early 90's.

Sorry Simon, but I have to back Bob up on this one....
You do talk a lot as if you were there back in the day.

There is a difference between comparing the music itself, as opposed to experiencing the "selling out" of a band....

I will use Green Day as an example....
Back in my punk days, I was a big fan of Green Day.
I had seen them a couple times at McGregor's in Elmhurst, IL (Bob was most likely at these shows too).

They were a band that toured their asses off and were always really cool to their fans. Therefore, when most people were crying "sellout", I would back them up because in my mind they certainly deserved all the success they had.

So young punk kids today who think the first street punk band was Dropkick Murphys would call Green Day sellout posers, though they were simply "not there" back in the scene back in the day, and never experienced a successful band back when they were struggling to make it.

As I said, many times Simon you speak as if you were there during such times.

I must say, I'm quite surprised.

Would you be even more surprised if I said I was a fan way back when??? I was even in the Chicago Tribune in a picture from the show at Metro in 91. Their Sub Pop singles were great and so was "Bleach" I thought "Nevermind" had some good songs on it as well. For those who were not there the whole Sub Pop things was the groundwork for the grundge scene. Lots of great albums and bands came out if it at that time....Mudhoney, Dwarves, and the Derilicts. The EP's at that time were highly collectable and went for crazy prices.

I had seen them a couple times at McGregor's in Elmhurst, IL (Bob was most likely at these shows too).

Yes I was....and to name drop they were the first band I video taped and interviewed for my videozine I did. They were very cool and had amazing memory. A year later they played again and they remembered me. A few years after they broke big my brother was at Dummyroom (punk record store in Chicago at that time) and Mike walked in and remembered my brother. Found out a year or so later that the shows I taped of them were favorites at parties of thiers. A freind told me that he was at one of thier houses and they had my video playing. VH1 also used my video and interview clip on thier Behind the Music Special on them.

In the punk scene they were called "sellouts" but they earned what they got by working hard and touring a lot. Plus they were always good with their fans. Plus while touring they still stayed consistant with good material unlike lots of bands that tour non stop in the metal scene. Plus it was different times back then compared to now with lots of different varables in place.

hmmm, constant state of depression and flannel shirts.....no thanks. Never liked nirvana, never will.

constant state of depression???? Nirvana had tons of upbeat stuff also. They were also an intense live band also. The flannel thing wasnt even from Nirvana....it has always been around...it was the media that pushed that aspect of it. That would be like saying you dont like power metal because it is upbeat and filled with guys in tucked in Blind Guardian and Dream Theater t-shirts.

constant state of depression???? Nirvana had tons of upbeat stuff also. They were also an intense live band also. The flannel thing wasnt even from Nirvana....it has always been around...it was the media that pushed that aspect of it. That would be like saying you dont like power metal because it is upbeat and filled with guys in tucked in Blind Guardian and Dream Theater t-shirts.

Someone doesn't really know Nirvana...

Forgot you can't make jokes on the board without people taking things way too seriously.

It was supposed to be a joke, you laugh if you think it's funny, ignore if you don't.

I for one couldn't stand them, during the so called "Grunge" years i reverted back to the old stuff, from the late 60's and 70's and alot of the music from the 80's, then in 2000 I heard NIGHTWISH "Wishmaster" and well here I am

Forgot you can't make jokes on the board without people taking things way too seriously.

It was supposed to be a joke, you laugh if you think it's funny, ignore if you don't.

Don't be a little girl about it. I wasn't aware you made a joke, because clearly you did not imply anywhere on your post it was a joke.

Everyone makes jokes on this board ALL THE TIME. If you think you can't do it, you're probably talking about a different board. Next time, try using one of these ":lol:". It works well.

Had you said "Listening to a band that talks about a bird wanting a cracker? No thanks," everyone else including me would have gotten the joke. Just remember a lot of people on the board don't know jack about bands outside their "power metal realm" - and your comment made you sound like just another one of those. Glad to know that wasn't the case bro. :)

Wait, so punk, metal, "classic rock," etc never did this? Also, I'm not sure what you were "right" about. Nirvana ended up being one of the best selling bands of all time, so actually you are (and so am I lol as I'm not huge on everything that came after Bleach) wrong, haha.

Well, I never liked punk either. Classic rock and metal are fun for me to listen to unlike the Nirvana drivel. Basically, I'm right about it being dull and boring for me. I still feel that way about it 20 years later and have no desire to revisit their music.

~Brian~

Sorry Simon, but I have to back Bob up on this one....
You do talk a lot as if you were there back in the day.

There is a difference between comparing the music itself, as opposed to experiencing the "selling out" of a band....

They were a band that toured their asses off and were always really cool to their fans. Therefore, when most people were crying "sellout", I would back them up because in my mind they certainly deserved all the success they had.

So young punk kids today who think the first street punk band was Dropkick Murphys would call Green Day sellout posers, though they were simply "not there" back in the scene back in the day, and never experienced a successful band back when they were struggling to make it.

I wasn't going to comment on that as I felt it was an absurd response; however, now that you have I suppose I should. Was I into music back then? No. I was a youngin'. However, listening to the albums from back then is all I'm judging my opinion on. Not the scene. All I was saying is people say the MUSIC died but if you go back, there are a number of quality metal releases during that time. Now, were they hard to find? Probably. But the music was still being produced. That's all I meant. As for the sellout response, that pretty much was just geared towards the Metallicas and the Megadeths.

constant state of depression???? Nirvana had tons of upbeat stuff also. They were also an intense live band also. The flannel thing wasnt even from Nirvana....it has always been around...it was the media that pushed that aspect of it.

Very true. And while it may have always been around, I associated the flannel thing more with Pearl Jam than with Nirvana.

I wasn't going to comment on that as I felt it was an absurd response; however, now that you have I suppose I should. Was I into music back then? No. I was a youngin'. However, listening to the albums from back then is all I'm judging my opinion on. Not the scene. All I was saying is people say the MUSIC died but if you go back, there are a number of quality metal releases during that time. Now, were they hard to find? Probably. But the music was still being produced. That's all I meant. As for the sellout response, that pretty much was just geared towards the Metallicas and the Megadeths.

Fair enough.
Sorry if I came down really hard on ya.
It's just so easy for someone who wasn't there back then to call a band a sellout, when it was some of us older farts who were buying records (yes records) of these bands and tickets which helped generate the buzz, enabling these bands to break big.

It's a bit different than a young kid who reads about underground metal on the internet, and getting a second hand account of "who sold out" or not.

Fair enough.
Sorry if I came down really hard on ya.
It's just so easy for someone who wasn't there back then to call a band a sellout, when it was some of us older farts who were buying records (yes records) of these bands and tickets which helped generate the buzz, enabling these bands to break big.

It's a bit different than a young kid who reads about underground metal on the internet, and getting a second hand account of "who sold out" or not.

And nowadayas it's much worse as metal fans are much more fickle than decades ago. It always makes me laugh for example when people label black metal bands as sellouts for instance.

when you turn on punk hxc mode, I like you a LOT more. :)

Fight_-_War_Of_Words_(Front).jpg

Angra's Angels Cry came out in 1993. That disproves any "metal is dead" complaints from that era... :D