OMG Falconer in a mini commercial!!!!!

Metal_Camden

Sep 25, 2009
WATCHED THIS COMMERCIAL

MY BRAINS WERE ALL OVER MY OFFICE AT THE END OF IT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay...I thought it was going to be a little bit of music. Or maybe a short clip of their music. NOPE.

Here was my reaction:
Oh yeah, that is Falconer's music. It doesn't sound like it was originally part of the commercial. Maybe someone added it in and -
What???
WHAT???
NO.
OHMYGOD.
OHMYGOD.
WHAT???

Yeah, I just pee'd myself a little. Of course, that's not really Falconer in the background. Mathias doesn't have long hair. But that IS their logo. Still...MADE OF WIN.

Okay...I thought it was going to be a little bit of music. Or maybe a short clip of their music. NOPE.

Here was my reaction:
Oh yeah, that is Falconer's music. It doesn't sound like it was originally part of the commercial. Maybe someone added it in and -
What???
WHAT???
NO.
OHMYGOD.
OHMYGOD.
WHAT???

Yeah, I just pee'd myself a little. Of course, that's not really Falconer in the background. Mathias doesn't have long hair. But that IS their logo. Still...MADE OF WIN.

Lol seriously. I just had to pick the pieces of brain off of the ceiling. Are you sure he just didn't 'grow' hair? Lolololol. Just seems odd that if a band was given an opportunity like that that they would pass it up? I could be wrong.

Lol seriously. I just had to pick the pieces of brain off of the ceiling. Are you sure he just didn't 'grow' hair? Lolololol. Just seems odd that if a band was given an opportunity like that that they would pass it up? I could be wrong.

It depends if the commercial makers thought it made sense or not. Considering how little they'd be in it, and the expense to fly them in, they could have decided not to go to the expense. (Tho, I'd be a little bummed if I was the guy who won, since I'd hoped that I'd meet the band.)

Anyways, awesome video, man.

I was surprised, because I expected the commercial to be Swedish, or at least European. It is always great to see some of "our" bands get exposure. If nothing else, Falconer probably received a nice paycheck. Hopefully, they'll also get some album sales from it.

I don't know if they got paid for it, but I think they'll probably see a small boost in album sales, at least. :) Naturally, I pestered the ones I'm in contact with and they are now all aware that this video exists, if they weren't before. :D

Camden - Like TheLongshot said, it probably wasn't worth the money to fly Falconer to the US to be in a commercial for all of five seconds. While that'd be awesome, it probably would cost too much.

When I read the first post, I was thinking, they'd just use a little clip of their music or something. Not completely uncommon to use metal in commercials these days. First the music, then a band, then I see the Falconer banner! Yeah, brains, everywhere.

So when this guy included "Falconer" in his six words, did he mean a dude who flies birds of prey, or a Swedish metal band?

Given his Portland hipsterness (he even refused to throw the horns when he raised his arms at the end!), I'm guessing it was the former, and he was all "WTF?" when he showed up to film the ad and MINI USA had gotten four long-haired dudes with instruments rather than a bird with a hood on its head.

Neil

From Blabbermouth:

Swedish metallers FALCONER are featured in a commercial/promotional film for the Mini Coupe, described as the first two-seater car in the Mini ranks. The two-minute clip, which contains a sample of FALCONER's music along with footage of what appears to be a "fake" FALCONER band performing on stage in front of the "real" FALCONER group logo, can be seen below. (Note: The music kicks in around the one-minute, 18-second mark.)

The fifth model of the new Mini generation to wear the British brand's famous badge represents a reinterpretation of the super-compact sports car category. The Mini Coupe is the first premium car of its genre, faithfully transplanting the Mini brand's sporting genes into a cutting-edge vehicle concept.

As the finale to "The Best Test Drive Ever. Period." contest, Mini USA awarded one lucky motoror a fantasy test drive experience in the all-new Mini Coupe. The film highlighting the experience made its premiere on Friday, December 23 nationwide on Mini USA's Facebook page, YouTube channel, MiniUSA.com and in cinemas nationwide.

The national contest, created by Butler, Shine, Stern and Partners out of Sausalito, California, launched in October as part of Mini USA's annual Motor-Tober activities. The rules were simple but the sky was the limit: fans were asked to submit their version of the most outrageous, entertaining, attention-worthy concept for a test drive... in just six words.

Over 14,000 entries came pouring in and were evaluated on creativity, originality, and the best use of a brand new Mini John Cooper Works Coupe. Mini even partnered with Larry Smith, founder of the six-word memoir project to help judge the entries. From all of the entries received, Mini USA selected one winner — Mathew Foster, from Portland, Oregon, who opted for "Stewardess, Salt Flats, Sushi, Paratroopers, Falconer." This interesting combo of words came together to produce Mathew's unique experience on the salt flats.

The events that followed will certainly go down in Mathew Foster and Mini history. He and his girlfriend were flown to the bright lights of Los Angeles, where Foster found himself behind the wheel of a Mini Coupe driving at blistering speeds through the salt flats with a stewardess feeding him sushi, and paratroopers flying overhead.

The cinema buy will reach millions of movie-goers during the key movie week between Christmas and New Year's.

Additional details are as follows:

* 2,707 total theaters
* 23,268 total screens running PG 13 and R-rated films
* Timing: Dec. 23, 2011 – Jan. 1, 2012

FALCONER's "Vid Rosornas Grav" video can be seen below. The song comes off the band's seventh album, "Armod", which was released in Europe on June 3 via Metal Blade Records. The CD features 11 songs completely sung in Swedish and four bonus tracks that are said to be English versions of the bandmembers' favorite new songs.

FALCONER in 2007 extended its deal with Metal Blade for another four albums.

I don't know if they got paid for it, but I think they'll probably see a small boost in album sales, at least. :) Naturally, I pestered the ones I'm in contact with and they are now all aware that this video exists, if they weren't before. :D

Camden - Like TheLongshot said, it probably wasn't worth the money to fly Falconer to the US to be in a commercial for all of five seconds. While that'd be awesome, it probably would cost too much.

Whoever owns the publishing rights gets paid for the usage of their music. Probably a decent amount of money too. I doubt we'd see this commercial on TV because A) it's way too long and would need to be edited and B) it's too weird, but even still the rights holder had to get paid for it.

edit: and since it's reaching theaters, it means that whoever has the publishing rights to Falconer (whether that's the band or Metal Blade - probably Metal Blade) will get paid a royalty for each airing.

I think Stefan has some publishing rights. Which is great, as it means the band will see some money. But it is more likely that you are correct and Metal Blade has the rights.

Also, in regards to the mock band used, both Mathias Blad and Stefan Weinerhall confirm that they were invited to come to LA, but couldn't make it out (from Facebook):
Mathias Blad: They asked us to travel yo LA to be in the video. Unfortunately we couldn't go... Merry Christmas!
Stefan Weinerhall: Haha, god damn that song doesn't fit the commersial video!!! Yeah, I knew about it. We couldn't make it to the recording in just 2 days notice so that´s why the mock band.

Normally, I just hate commercials. That was actually enjoyable - and the Falconer inclusion was cool. Hope it helps the band!

Well I love Falconer.. but gaddamn it, why did it have to be a Mini?? XD Not that they're not adorable, but I'm kinda spoiled over here with my big manly American giant dick cars.

I think I might be the only actual licensed falconer in heavy metal. Of course, I could be wrong, but there are only about 2,000 licensed falconers in the USA. I am not sure about the UK (falconry is quite popular there). Here I am with a red-tailed hawk that I had back in the late 90's. This bird actually flew the wedding rings to us for the ceremony.

I had never heard of the band 'Falconer' before I formed the band Artizan, and considered using that name. Of course, I found out it was taken. :)

tytrrop.jpg

Hahahaha! That is awesome!! I wonder, how does one become a falconer?? It seems like it would be a really expensive hobby.

Hahahaha! That is awesome!! I wonder, how does one become a falconer?? It seems like it would be a really expensive hobby.

..Lot' s of studying...and passion for hawks, falcons and eagles :)

I am a general level falconer now. But when you start as an apprentice level falconer you have to find a master level falconer to take you on and mentor you. There is a lot to learn about equipment, proper facilities, choice of bird, trapping a wild bird, health (diseases certain species are prone to), etc., etc.

Look up falconry on Youtube. There is some interesting footage out there. See if you can find the Russian falconers who hunt with HUGE Golden Eagles. These guys hunt wolves off of horseback!