Opeth + Fusion?

johan68

Apr 3, 2008
Clearwater, FL, U.S.A
Just read an interview with Mikael Åkerfelt in Sweden Rock Magazine regarding the new album. He stated that the new album will not be a metal album but a fusion album....
Personally as a massive metal as well as fusion fan I find this very interesting...
He did say that 90 % of Opeth fans will absolutely hate the new album though. Most likely not me...

He said something a while back that their uber nerd fans have pissed him off enough to take Opeth in a completely different direction, but he also says a ton of things. He said Ghost Reveries was going to be black metal. lol

you should give them a chance. they really are worth all the fuss. not so much anymore, but Blackwater Park, Still Life and if you like mellow stuff like Riverside and Porcupine Tree check out Damnation.

you should give them a chance. they really are worth all the fuss. not so much anymore, but Blackwater Park, Still Life and if you like mellow stuff like Riverside and Porcupine Tree check out Damnation.

They also put on an amazing show. Should check out the two sets (one for acoustic stuff and one for the harder stuff) on the lamentations dvd.

Personally, while I trust Mike's songwriting abilities and am sure the album will rock, I'm kind of disappointed by this decision. Not so much because of the lack of metal, but because it seems like the last 3 Opeth albums have been more electronic and "modern" over the last years and less organic and rustic. Blackwater Park and everything previously had that woodsy organic vibe to it and it was in no small part due to their acoustic guitar passages, etc. I think that's also why I gravitate more towards the new Agalloch than I do towards their last 2 albums. All of the albums in question here I am a fan of, but I really really loved the woodsy vibe of "Pale Folklore" and "Blackwater Park" and I feel like Opeth lost that element when they got a keyboard player and started throwing in more King Crimson and less Comus into the mix. I love everything Opeth ever put out, so I'm not necessarily bitching, but it would've been cool to have another album in the vain of "Morningrise," "Orchid," "My Arms Your Hearse," "BWP" etc.

Maybe in terms of production and songwriting, but the overall vibe never really changed for me at all until Deliverance and Damnation came out and then the band started to go for a more King Crimson/Pink Floyd etc style of atmosphere which is fine, but I guess I'm just nostalgic.

I REALLY tried....they just did absolutely zero for me at the time....
I'll give the new one a shot when it's available....