Opeth: Watershed

DoomsdayZach

The Professor was right
Dec 11, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.doomsdaymusic.com
So what's everyone's thoughts on this one?

Alright, I'm in the middle of the second track at the moment right where it just got soft and acousticlike. I'll give my initial impressions up to this point and keep updating this post until the album is over (depending on how bored i am). This is all just first impressions, so I reserve the right to change my opinion once it's more absorbed.

Coil - Pretty good album opener, the female vocals are awesome.

Heir Apparent - Good transition, but the first part is too tryhard in the weird rhythm department. Wasn't enjoying this, but the clean part and that suuuper fast and brutal part after it ruled. They should have extended it a bit because just like with all Opeth, the kick ass parts are gone as quickly as they come. Which is real...oh, it just came back a minute or so later. Awesome. Still, that first part pisses me off.

The Lotus Eaters - Man, fuck this song :mad:

Burden - I honestly wasnt' paying attention to most of the song, but it sounded very nice. The pitchshifting down for the last minute of the song sounds like fucking ass though. They should have not done that at all.

Porcelain Heart - This song sounds like some classic-ass Opeth. Well... not classic. It should have been on Deliverance. First half sounds pretty damn awesome. yeah, the rest of the song follows suit.

Hessian Peel - Pretty fuckin' killer chill song so far. Really lovin' the classical guitar stuff in the background. This is what opeth is all about. More atmosphere, less gay proggy rhythmic bullshit *cough first part of Heir Apparent cough*. Yeah, that song was probably the best so far.

Hex Omega - A decent closer at best. Has some good parts, not at all a bad song, but not great. Solid though. Actually, i feel it sums up the album. Not overwhelming, not underwhelming, just simply whelming.

I won't buy this album, don't love it, but it's strong. A definite step up from GR

I think I also agree, Zach. Hessian Peel is by far my favorite song. I was kind of nervous about this album, but overall I'm more than pleased. It generally takes me at least a few weeks, until I begin to start memorizing a lot of it, until I can decide. There is not a single song I don't like so that's a good sign.

I like it a lot. It's a bit chill compared to other Opeth albums (excluding Damnation), but it still has some heavy growlies.

Zach, what do you have against The Lotus Eater? That's one of my favorites! The jazz/funk part toward the end gets me every time.

Did anyone else notice that the growls on this album are far lower in the mix when compared to other Opeth albums?

Coil - Great song with nice atmosphere. Strange for an opener, though.
Heir Apparent - I like the first few heavy sections, but when it goes into the blast beats later on it just sounds like garbage.
The Lotus Eater - Most likely my favorite behind Hessian Peel.
Burden - Nice, but I'll agree that the ending was bad and doesn't fit. I would've liked the band to jam on it (in tune) a bit, though.
Porcelain Heart - A lot of this song bores me. The progression is practically the same as The Grand Conjuration, and the riffs are just too simple and repetitive for me. I love the creepy lullaby part in the middle, though.
Hessian Peel - Great tune. The heavy riff just after 4:00 is probably one of my favorite Opeth riffs. I love the jam bits towards the end, too.
Hex Omega - Another great song. A bit strange at times, but good nonetheless.

Detective, honestly i don't have an answer for you. I started listening to the song, had a decent attitude towards the album so i wasn't out to hate it, but i kind of spaced out (was still listening to my headphones) but when the song was over i was just like "man.... fuck that song!"

I'll check it out again later and either my opinion will have changed or i'll have more insight as to why i don't like it. Cheers though!

I succumbed to the temptation and got the album. Good stuff overall. It always takes me a while to get into Opeth - I feel like I have to know what came before and what comes after each section to really dig it. I didn't hear anything I hated so far, and I heard a few parts that made me bang my head, and a few parts that made me say, "I want to hear that again!" and rewind.

So Dubs, just out of total curiosity... Opeth or Pain of Salvation?

WHAT? No luger or a .45?????
As much as I hate to say it, I'd have to go with PoS....:lol:
(Write that one down in the history books!)
Seriously, if there was a choice "C", that's what I'd choose. Even if it was a luger....

I had a listen to a couple of the songs on youtube...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! :D The Lotus Eater is amazing, love the jazzy synth bit towards the end, Mikael's clean vocals are great right through the album, the bit at the end of Burden is fantastic, very cool... :D Porcelein Heart is cool, probably needs a bit more listening...

Either way I'm grabbing this album asap, and very much looking forward to seeing a lot of it played live in September... :D

I had a listen to a couple of the songs on youtube...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! :D The Lotus Eater is amazing, love the jazzy synth bit towards the end, Mikael's clean vocals are great right through the album, the bit at the end of Burden is fantastic, very cool... :D Porcelein Heart is cool, probably needs a bit more listening...

Either way I'm grabbing this album asap, and very much looking forward to seeing a lot of it played live in September... :D

I saw them live...thought they were very dull...sounded great...no stage prescence.

Even if it was a luger....
:dopey:
german-luge-gold.jpg

WHAT? No luger or a .45?????
As much as I hate to say it, I'd have to go with PoS....:lol:
(Write that one down in the history books!)
Seriously, if there was a choice "C", that's what I'd choose. Even if it was a luger....

J-Dub... just wondering, what do you have against (or not like about) Opeth?

Well I prefer to see a band playing complex material live, and standing still, than seeing them chugging on 1 string and throwing themselves around... :rolleyes:

I agree. Just one question... who do you think has more stage presence: Opeth or Dream Theater?

J-Dub... just wondering, what do you have against (or not like about) Opeth?

I agree. Just one question... who do you think has more stage presence: Opeth or Dream Theater?

Dammit!!! Quit flinging around the D word!:lol:

Jdubya, you had some legendary POS rants in the past and I'm surprised to see a band like Opeth topping them. I'm also curious to hear why you don't like them.;)