OSI - Mike Portnoy side project.

skyshock1

Scorched earth triumphant
May 14, 2001
Southeastern US.
www.myspace.com
The lineup - Portnoy, the guitarist from Fates Warning, and Kevin Moore (dream theater's first and IMO best keyboardist).

DAMN. This album is really damn good. It's not what you're expecting either. It's not some Nintendo-sounding prog-rock soprano-vocals shreik-fest like all the other so-called "neo-prog" albums you've heard.

This is headphone music ALL the way. Remember how Space Dye Vest sounded from Dream Theater? Think that, but darker and more sinister. And a better singer. Headphone rock for sure. Fans of ISIS and Porcupine Tree would love this album.

What does this have to do with Opeth? Positively nothing. But you guys are cool, so I thought I'd share.

Anyone else heard it?

A bit misleading to refer to it as the Mike Portnoy side project... as almost all the music was written by Jim Matheos (guitarist of Fates Warning) and rearranged by Kevin Moore. Portnoy did nothing but play drums.

metalathiest said:
if anything it is Kevin's project, and i still have to give it more listens for sure.

Most definitely. Only reason I put Portnoy's name in the subject line is because I think he has a bit more name recognition than say Jim Matheos. I just figgered more people would read this thread if I named dropped Portnoy. {shrug}

Great stuff IMO.

OSI is a great album. I picked it up a while back, and thankfully the vocals were not wussed out! :) However great the album is, I did expect more. Portnoy's drumming isn't as technical as in Liquid Tension Experiment and the song's are not as progressive as I thought they would be, especially the 10 minute track with Steven Wilson. It's not a bad track, but I expected a hell of a lot more out of such a super group. Even still, the CD is worth owning. Pick up GORDIAN KNOT's new album as well, very very very good!!

skyshock1 said:
Most definitely. Only reason I put Portnoy's name in the subject line is because I think he has a bit more name recognition than say Jim Matheos. I just figgered more people would read this thread if I named dropped Portnoy. {shrug}

Great stuff IMO.

Jim Matheos = God
Fates warning = BONARS

I am getting OSI next week, I will let you know:)

do I hear a tour anyone? Fates is opening up on the upcoming Dream Theater/Queensryche tour this summer. If Kevin Moore is in tow with Jim Matheos then could we possibly see an OSI set? Or better yet Moore finally reunited with Dream Theater?

metalathiest said:
if anything it is Kevin's project, and i still have to give it more listens for sure.

Jim Matheos wrote 9 songs. Kevin Moore wrote one "Horseshoes and B-52s", I believe.... though Kevin did have a huge impact on the final result of Jim's 9 songs.

I really love this album. It is really growing on me, I irst picked it up, and only listened to it a few times over a space of about 2 months, but now I dig the album, and its nearly always in my MD player. I just wish SW would have sang on more bloody tracks though, the music suits his voice down to a T.

\m/

Don't expect KM to re-unite with DT in this lifetime.
KM was asked to perform with DT at the show they filmed for the DVD, he declined to play just one song with them (Space-Dye Vest).

I have OSI, the limited Ed 2cd set, bonus CD had a cool Floyd cover and a 20min demo that became 4 or 5 seperate songs on the album.
Apart from KM monotonus boring voice I like it.

Great to see some DT over here too :)

Demonspell said:
There goes any chance of hearing Space Dye Vest live...

I love that song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
The spoken word stuff both sound like they are out of two movies "Damage" starring Jeremy Irons and "Boxing Helena" but I don't think they are, I must watch them again to be sure (there is no reference in the album liner notes)

I got one or two songs from OSI. I thought it was a little boring, but I'm liking it more on more listens. I need to get the rest to judge it fairly.

Ahamkara said:
do I hear a tour anyone? Fates is opening up on the upcoming Dream Theater/Queensryche tour this summer. If Kevin Moore is in tow with Jim Matheos then could we possibly see an OSI set? Or better yet Moore finally reunited with Dream Theater?

After hearing this album, I bet DT is kicking themselves in the nuts to have their old keyboardist back.

Kevin Moore = GOD
Jordan Rudess = chump