Pagan's Mind first time playing ProgPower

mel_progson

Dec 10, 2006
Oz
I was there for the second mind blowing performance at ProgPower. What I really wanna know is, what was the first time they played like? For the folks who remember.

Wish I had time to get into more details but it was amazing! I was a diehard fan even back then, and pimped the band hard everywhere I could. I briefly ran a website called "Pagan's Mind - Entrance To Infinity" which is where the name of that song comes from, and why it is dedicated to me in the liner notes. My experience starts before the actual concert itself. I remember our hotel rooms being next door, and Nils recognizing me as he was sitting outside the hotel door just chilling. Jorn was inside on the bed playing some licks on his guitar. Thorstein (R.I.P. brother) took me under his wing, and the entire band treated me like GOLD! I still have my 2003 Pagans Mind crew pass which can be seen here...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=158925&l=c7295ab568&id=100001871203370

As for the concert itself? MIND BLOWING! Right up front for the boys and I was in awe! I took over 300 pictures of them and will post some someday if I get the time. I still own the drumstick Stian threw to me that night which has his signature on it (one of 3 sticks he has tossed to me)! Memories I'll never forget! Proud to call them family!

This was also the 1st PPUSA I attended. GREAT TIMES!

I was there and knew nothing of the band at all. They were the first band to go on on Sat night. I was there with my brother that year and he asked me if I had ever heard of them and I had not. I could not even tell you what kind of music they played. Anyway, honestly I thought it would be a good warm up for the remaining of the night.

They come on and within 10 seconds, my brother and I were looking at each other going HOLY SHIT!!! These guys are AWESOME!! This was back in the day that the first band only had 30 minutes to play and for 30 minutes they slayed. They are one of the best bands live and are one of my favorite bands ever. Jorn is by far my favorite guitar player. They could play PP every year and I would be happy.

Anyway, they put on the same energy that they always bring and totally won the crowd over. I am not sure how many people knew them before the show and how many people were in my boat but I can guarantee they won the crowd over that night.

If it tells you anything, I bought one cd that year at PP. I bought it right after the Pagan's Mind show on Sat night. The initials are C.E. for the title of the album. Can you guess what I bought.

Fantastic show and I hope we see them again VERY soon.

Brand

I'm another who was unfmiliar with who they were, but was totally "wowed" by their performance. I think I DL'ed some MP3s prior to the fest...Been a fan ever since, and will remain so. My only non-show interaction with them was while I was out taking a walk around the area, I was approached by Thorstein (RIP) & Steinar wondering if there was anywhere nearby to get beer that early in the a.m. I directed them to that Shell gas station, and that was it. I recognized them from the pre-party, but due to a severe hangover, couldn't remeber what band they were from until later in the day...:oops:

Here is a great memory for me.

PM.jpg

Yea the Fairfield Inn ruled. I have some great shots of just the hotel which I'll post tomorrow.

That was a fantastic show, one of my favorite PP performances - similar to the first time I saw Evergrey at PP II, I knew they were good but didn't know how good...

I remember hanging out with the boys early on Thursday in the hotel lobby. They were very nervous worrying that no one would like them. I told them they had nothing to worry about - they were going to destroy.

Heres a few pics for those who miss the Fairfield Inn, and a shot of Nils as well! All taken during PPUSA IV!

FF1.jpg

FF2.jpg

FF3.jpg

FF4.jpg

Damn...I miss the Fairfield Inn...

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I saw that group pic. I could happily LIVE in that 2-BR suite I had there one year. :kickass:

In that pic of the patio that was posted, just draw a circle around the far end and label it "Site of Midnight's legendary solo performance at 6 a.m."
Really brought back memories, that one did.....