poking your fingers in the lion's cage

masterworks

Mar 26, 2009
Frederick, md
Ken,
are you going thru Bethlehem withdrawl, since there is no NEARfest, this year?
I know you probably miss going dutch to Mcdonalds with your cohorts from across the divide?

any commentson the demise of NEARfest, aside from a decent sales event?

jon

:loco:

Its a lot of really hard work. In that respect I don't miss it. I gross quite a bit but my expenses are through the roof. I would probably make more money just having a sale on the website and enjoying myself at the show.

I miss seeing the bands (well at least some of them).

I expect Nearfest will return next year. If you don't go (or have never been) and are a fan of progressive music you are simply lazy. There are no excuses not to go. I've seen people confined to wheelchairs as well as those visually impaired. People travel from all over the world to attend Nearfest. There is no good reason not to attend - plain and simple.

For fans of progressive music its the highlight of the year.

Its a lot of really hard work. In that respect I don't miss it. I gross quite a bit but my expenses are through the roof. I would probably make more money just having a sale on the website and enjoying myself at the show.

I miss seeing the bands (well at least some of them).

I expect Nearfest will return next year. If you don't go (or have never been) and are a fan of progressive music you are simply lazy. There are no excuses not to go. I've seen people confined to wheelchairs as well as those visually impaired. People travel from all over the world to attend Nearfest. There is no good reason not to attend - plain and simple.

For fans of progressive music its the highlight of the year.

Maybe we should get a Bus Trip together every Year & make a Party out of it........:D:D:D:D:D

back to the original thought;
would you concide that because NEARfest is under "new" management is the reason for this years' demise, or lack of fan base enthusiaism?

jpn:wave:

sorry,
I cut my index finger, and now typing with the middle finger instead

Plain and simple, it was a lack of ticket sales. There wasn't a whole lot to be over enthusiastic about, especially with the lack of a "big draw" band. While Umphrey's Mcgee have a relatively large fan base, they also tour a lot, so why would their die hard fans shell out a couple hundred bucks, plus lodging, to see them with bands that they don't know when they can see the band for forty bucks and only one opening act and go home after the show?

I enjoy the whole experience of NEARfest, but with the economy the way it is, there needs to be a reason for people to go besides having a good time.

Look at something like ProgPower, there is a solid lineup there every year, and sometimes it still doesn't sell out. Imagine how is would be if Glenn put together a less than stellar lineup.

That being said, if there is a good lineup and people don't come out...because of the fact that it such a niche market, these festivals will disappear all together, which is sad.

Only because they are too good for him. :Smug:

I will also add that us COMMON folk are the ones who keep the ship floating. At least as far as sales go. Where would he (Mr. Mean) be without us. And from reading the posts on this forum we are very loyal customers. For most releases I wait until they are put up for sale at the Laser's Edge. Except for the Black Metal that Ken won't get in. :devil: :wave: :popcorn:

By the way...there is a new website in the design stage based on a different platform. I am exploring the possibility of incorporating a loyalty program. :)

By the way...there is a new website in the design stage based on a different platform. I am exploring the possibility of incorporating a loyalty program. :)

So All your Loyal Customers get 20 percent off????? or buy 3 get 4th free? Buy 5 You Spring for Dinner,,,, Invite us loyal peeons to a ""Golden"" cook out.......:D:wave::D:kickass::headbang: