POWER QUEST calls it quits

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
From Blabbermouth:

"I've decided that now is the time to say that the QUEST is over. From a business perspective, it is getting harder and harder for us to break even. None of us make any money from POWER QUEST (we all work day jobs) but I have been losing significant amounts of money when on the road for the past few years. No matter how much you love something, there comes a point where you have to look at the facts, not the dream.

"I love nothing more than touring and making records, but if there isn't sufficient demand for the product then there comes a time when reality has to bite, unfortunately.

"I'd like to thank everyone who has supported me and POWER QUEST over the past 12 years.... It is very much appreciated and it is what has kept me going through the years. It's been a great ride and I've had the pleasure of having some great musicians in this band who I am proud to call my friends. Steve, Alessio, Andrea, Francesco, Rich, Paul, Andy, Gav, Colin, Chitty, Adam, Andre, Bill, Oliver, Gav Ward, ZP, Sam Totman, Pete and Ben... you guys have played such a huge role in making POWER QUEST what it has become and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

"My dream as a youngster was to make one album. It was not about being a rock star or making lots of money, although that would have been nice :) It always has and always will be about the music first and foremost, so to have released five albums is way beyond anything I could have dreamt of, to be honest.

"Huge thanks to those who have done so much behind the scenes over the years as well, without whom it would have been immensely difficult for me. Step forward Manuela Fröhlich, Anna Walker, Simon Burrell and Sprocket.

"But it is you, the fans, who have joined the QUEST and supported the band through all the ups and downs over the years that I save my final words of thanks for. You guys have been inspirational to me! I've always said that POWER QUEST fans are the best in the world... and that is as true today as it has ever been. I hope you will understand my reasons for this decision and I hope to see as many of you as possible in the months and years to come.

"We will be looking to do a couple of farewell shows in 2013 and hopefully make them a fitting way for us to take our leave.

"It's never an easy thing to know when the time is right to move on to pastures new, but I believe that time is now.

"Through the wind and the rain we'll meet again..."

-Steve Williams

I've never been a Power Quest fan. Their style is just not one to my liking. That said, the interview I did with Steve, leading up their canceled PP performance, was one of my favorites. He is a likable guy.

Oh, this one hits me right in the gut. This was one of my favorites bands in the genre. I hope there will be a somewhat affordable way I could see one of their farewell shows. I was sooooo bummed about them missing out on PP. Man, this sucks, but I fully understand everything he's saying. Sad sad day for happy metal fans everywhere!

Not surprised due to all the changes. I liked them. Not my favorite but I liked them. I did have issue with the last album though as it had some great stuff, but then there was some mediocre or poor tracks as well.

Neverworld will always remain one of the catchiest power metal albums of all time.

Steve is a great guy who always interacts daily with his fans on their forum, FB, through emails etc.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Not an easy decision to make at all but one I've been considering for a number of months now.

Really appreciate the support you guys on this forum have given the band over the year and it is still one of the biggest downers of my career that we couldn't make it to PPUSA a few years back.

Oh man this is awful news. And to think I came sooooo close to seeing them at ProgPower - I knew that was my only chance. Bah! Agree with Jasonic, Neverworld is just an incredible piece of work. Really bummed out right now ...

All their albums are quite good but the final album with Chity was my fave by far. Saw them live a few times as well and they were always very professional. Thanks for the albums guys though its a shame one final album couldn't be made with Colin on vox.

All their albums are quite good but the final album with Chity was my fave by far. Saw them live a few times as well and they were always very professional. Thanks for the albums guys though its a shame one final album couldn't be made with Colin on vox.

You know, maybe that's why I wasn't the biggest fan of the last album. I'm just not a fan of Chity. I don't think he's terrible by any means, but I just don't dig listening to the guy no matter what band he's in.

That's terrible news! As I posted on Steve's Facebook yesterday, I'm very proud to say I was part of this band, even if only for one tour in 2008.

That being said, I'll still be blasting my albums for several years to come! They contain some of the best Power Metal songs ever written, and unfortunately the whole genre seems to have reached a plateau.

NP: Power Quest - Far Away (still my favorite song)

Neverworld will always remain one of the catchiest power metal albums of all time.

Steve is a great guy who always interacts daily with his fans on their forum, FB, through emails etc.

Steve has always been a very gracious person who truly appreciated the fans. I"m remember my first trip to England when going to Bloodstock and Power Quest did a preshow the night before. I introduced myself to him and he took me back after the show and introduced the band. Made me feel very welcomed all weekend and I really appreciated that.

it is still one of the biggest downers of my career that we couldn't make it to PPUSA a few years back.

Mine, too, Steve. On the flip side - it was PQ's listing on the ProgPower USA roster that got me to first notice the event - and I LIVE in Atlanta! I have been to every show since. For that, I will always indirectly owe you. Best of wishes for all your future endeavors.

And my personal favorite PQ song is Cemetary Gates... fwiw.

Steve - take a well earned break... go break some stuff, it's the Welsh way...

Cheers guys...really appreciate the sentiments :)

Break stuff.....now that I can do...hahahaha!

We'll be planning some farewell shows later this year......and I think we will all be looking to the future to see what will be on the horizon for us all. I've certainly got some ideas as to where I want to go next