PPVI Cheers and Jeers

mtlheart

Dr. Stein's Creature
May 27, 2004
CHEERS:
1. First and foremost Glenn Harveston. Once again an outstanding event. YOU DA MAN!!
2. All the bands this year. Every one of them performed to the best of their ability. Everyone is probably going to have a band or two that just isn't their cup of tea, but you have to give credit where it's due. Not one band let down their fans from what I've heard or read.
3. Earthlink Live. What a great venue for a Metalfest.
4. The Fans (You). When people are in tight quarters, hot, tired, hungry, and at least semi drunk unpleasent things can happen. It's possible that there amy have been some behavior problems, but none that I know of, so thanks to everyone for being cool... again.
5. Whoever was running the mixing board on Saturday. Woot!

JEERS:
1. First Prize goes to whoever was running the mixing board on Friday night. Sorry if I'm harping, but jeeze!
2. The damn stair lights are still out!
3. The 5+ minute intros for Angra and Stratovarius. The bands kicked ass, but I could have done without those intros.

Using PP III as the gold standard with a grade of A+, PP VI gets a solid A.

Jeers:

That damn moron who started the mosh pit in Therion and Stratovarius. Glenn yelled at him in Stratovarius, but that f*cker needs to be kicked out next time. I'm sorry, but him and most of his whole group were assholes in regards to talking during the set, pushing off people, starting mosh pits, and everything.

You'd be standing on the floor and all of a sudden his group would just push their way so they were standing right in front of you.

Happened during Angra too.

Damn it, that made me mad

Jeers to the Friday sound mixer, Angra intro, Stratovarius delay.

Cheers to everything else! Awesome weekend.

Cheers to Kim.....major hottie

Am I the only person here that thinks the Angra mix was great? I mean, at PP III I couldn't hear Rafael's guitar at all...this year I heard everything loud and clear.

Great performance too.

Thanks to Conception...A Dream Came True...thanks to Glenn, and the Guys from Conception. Seriously, this means too much for Conception fans :headbang:

Jeers - Long Intros for Strato and Angra, Glenn not singing with me during Hunting High and Low

Cheers - Angra encore, Circus Maximus, Symphorce

Cheers to all the bands playing their first US show ever; they came into an unfamiliar environment, probably without all their own equipment and made, at least everyone there take note.

On a side note, from where I was, Vox was great, but the guitars and bass sounded like the bass was turned all the way down. Bass was inaudible and guitars lacked crunch at the bottom end. The people I talked to said it sounded like the guitars and bass were just playing out of their amps as opposed to the PA. So for a good portion of the crowd, it was mixed well, and for the others, something was too quiet.

Cheers: See first post.

Jeers: The guy who kept farting that rotten egg smell over BOTH nights. If I could have caught you doing it, I would have knocked your teeth out of your mouth.

The sound dropping IN and OUT the whole festival except when Therion and Strat guys had their own sound guy.

People who come into the seats after 4 hours at Earthlink and get pissed to find that the "empty" seats are being saved for the folks who sat there for the 4 hours and had to take a leak. Get a seat early or stand or deal.

People who go in and out of a row more than 1000 times during a set because they need a beer. Sit down for 40 minutes and then go. Jesus, it's only skanky beer.

and finally Jeers to WAAAAAYYYY too much prog on night one. It was like watching paint dry for me. All bands are incredibly talented and gracious, it's just agonizing to sit through the same style for an entire evening and then 1/5 of the next day. I'm in the minority here, but that's a jeer for me.

Giving up a double jeer for yet another year of stair hell. I saw that there was glow tape of most of the steps..........EXCEPT for the last one. The one you can't tell is there in the dark. I do not understand why that venue can't get that fixed.

My cheers far out weigh any jeer I have.....double or not. :)

Cheers for such friendly crowd. I have never seen a single fight or even a loud argument ever between any fans over the last four years. That is very cool, lets keep it that way.
Cheers to all the good people I get to see once a year.
Jeers, Metal Rose, what can I say, those Kiss maddona cape bubblewrap electric tape clothes have got to go. Next year try to at least see one band perform, you might like them or learn someting.

Assume Cheers = Everything about hte festival that wasn't mentioned!

Jeers:
Drums too loud i n the mix. I'm a drummer, but at an elite festival like this, I want more of a balanced mix. Angra especially, from SEVERAL viewpoints Aquillies (especially his kicks) were the only thing audible. Jorg Michael did the same thing. Sure, I <3 drums, but during a guitar solo, I want to be able to hear some CHOPS!

Angra and Strato were most notable, it just gets very annoying trying to listen to the music, and having chugga chugga double bass pounding away.

Dr.Caligari said:
Jeers, Metal Rose, what can I say, those Kiss maddona cape bubblewrap electric tape clothes have got to go. Next year try to at least see one band perform, you might like them or learn someting.

:lol:

I was suprised that I didn't see any of MetalRose on Friday, but when I was down at the Vendor area during the Pink Cream 69 set :D on Saturday, I saw her and her clothes twin in the bubblewrap getups. It was unique at least. :p

Cheers: Great venue, good line-up, good performances overall, interactions with the bands

Jeers:

1. Sound man was terrible. There is no excuse for forgetting to turn up mics of vocalists, bad mixes, and all the other mistakes he made.

2. Air conditioning/Ventilation system needs to be fixed. I know it must be hard to keep it cool in such a tight space with 1000 people, but I'm sure it's possible.

3. What was up with Stratovarius? Was the drummer drunk? His timing was off during the whole set. He would also drag songs down. I noticed all the members of the band looking back at him trying to get him to speed up. The whole band sounded like they hadn't practiced or played together in a year.

Just my thoughts...

woosta said:
People who come into the seats after 4 hours at Earthlink and get pissed to find that the "empty" seats are being saved for the folks who sat there for the 4 hours and had to take a leak. Get a seat early or stand or deal.

I kind of see this one differently. It's a general admission show, not an assigned seat show. If you leave it you lose it .... or at least that's the way I think it should be.

I can understand someone that's with a group heading off for a bathroom break, but I think a good percent of those supposedly occupied seats were being abused by folks who go hang out in the lobbies bs'ing with everyone.

There would sometimes be several seats together that were empty, or basically being used as a holding place for merchandise. I don't believe for a second that the vast majority were simply off for a potty break. I think sometimes they get one dude to hold their seats while they go screw around for a half an hour or more.

Britt

pc69 said:
Cheers: Great venue, good line-up, good performances overall, interactions with the bands

Jeers:

1. Sound man was terrible. There is no excuse for forgetting to turn up mics of vocalists, bad mixes, and all the other mistakes he made.

2. Air conditioning/Ventilation system needs to be fixed. I know it must be hard to keep it cool in such a tight space with 1000 people, but I'm sure it's possible.

3. What was up with Stratovarius? Was the drummer drunk? His timing was off during the whole set. He would also drag songs down. I noticed all the members of the band looking back at him trying to get him to speed up. The whole band sounded like they hadn't practiced or played together in a year.

Just my thoughts...
Rumor had it that lots of folks bitched in the past that it was too cold in the venue. Well, this year it was too freaking hot. Next year it would be nice if they could find a happy medium.

Britt

DarkTide said:
I kind of see this one differently. It's a general admission show, not an assigned seat show. If you leave it you lose it .... or at least that's the way I think it should be.
Britt

You have got to be kidding.