Prog metal fans?

Barth Vader

Rise to submission
Jun 1, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
www.sackersmovie.com
Hi, everyone. Holy crap...it's been a long time since I've posted here. Anyway...was wondering if any prog metal fans could recommend any good recent prog bands that I could check out.

I've been out of the prog metal world since like the late 90's (except for Dream Theater) and I just recently decided to pick up an Ayreon cd since I knew James LaBrie was on it. I realize that Ayreon seems to be one of those polarizing bands like Opeth, but my jaw dropped after listening.

Any suggestions to get me back into the prog world?

Symphony X and Pagan's Mind are good. I don't really like much modern Prog Metal at all.

Now, early Prog Rock is where it's fuckin' at.

Manitou(Fin) "Half Moon Rising" is pretty solid. It sounds like Images & Words era Dream Theater, except that the vocalist doesn't sound like LaBrie (a good & bad thing)

pick up anything by Andromeda

Dali's Dilemma "Manifesto for Futurism" is another good release

Threshold. Definitely Threshold. I'm still surprised about how little mentioning they get when it comes to prog metal.

I've never really been into prog metal. I think the only prog metal band I've ever listened to very much is Dream Theater and I can't stand their vocals. I do like alot of prog rock though: Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Kansas, Yes, etc.

Wow.....

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. I will definately check some of these bands out. Glad to hear that some of the bands I used to listen to are still around.

Too bad Conception are no longer together. Anyone use to listen to them? Also...anyone ever heard of Superior? From Germany, I believe. Their first album was awesome.

Anyway....thanks a lot for the recommendations...keep em coming!!

Barth Vader said:
Wow.....

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. I will definately check some of these bands out. Glad to hear that some of the bands I used to listen to are still around.

Too bad Conception are no longer together. Anyone use to listen to them? Also...anyone ever heard of Superior? From Germany, I believe. Their first album was awesome.

Anyway....thanks a lot for the recommendations...keep em coming!!

Conception are doing a reunion and performing at the Prog-Power Festival in Atlanta this year.

..........I also recommend Arcturus highly...just didn't post that the first time.

And No Exit.

Well, I mean, I like newer labums like Perfect Symmetry, Disconnected, and Inside Out as well, but as far as FW's 'accepted' discography, anyway...

Manitou and Spiral architect if u like that technical stuff...
get Pain of Salvation, any album.. they're all good although Entropia is more 'prog' than the others...
Here r some new bands i found.. all prog
1)Kenziner, from finland.. some pretty awesome stuff
2)and this other one..not too sure of the name, either Section A or Section Lambda..(i ripped off a cd a while ago and just heard it now so i dont remember the name... and the id-tag info wasnt there..) .. really good prog...
3) theres also this compilation called A Gathering of Norwegian Prog. its got a good collection...
4)i've also heard a lot about Freak Kitchen although i've never heard it myself... does that classify as prog.?.. anyway its bound to be a good listen... have heard a lot about Mattias Eklundh...

Hope that helped
Cheers.