ProgPower USA Merchandise

There is a lot of good feedback here so far. Please keep the ideas and thoughts coming.

I am a baseball hat collector, so I would love some kind of generic PPUSA hat design....and agree about not doing the trucker or fisherman hat that somebody else mentioned.

I think the "exclusivity" factor of getting the specific numbered (IX, X, etc) merch physically at the fest is somewhat cool. You pretty much know that if you see someone wearing a PPUSA shirt, they've actually been there. But, it would be nice to be able to get the stuff before/after online...even if it's just for a limited amount of time.

I really think that if you're looking to expand the possibilities of other merchandise, you should look into options like http://www.cafepress.com (my apologies if they are one of your competitors), where you can set up a PPUSA store and they basically handle everything....ordering, payment, production, delivery, etc without having to go out and buy a minimum amount of stuff first. You set the price, and proceeds go to PPUSA. It is super easy to set up, and the merch is pretty decent.

How about working something out with Esa and doing a ProgPower "Yearbook" using his photos (since he's the "official" PPUSA photographer, right)?

Maybe a 10th Fest retrospective this year and single year volumes going forward...

Self-publishing options have come a long way in the last few years, so a professional looking package can be had for a reasonable price. And I think it would be great to have something to look back on years later.
:Smokin:

I like the idea of the merch being available year round. I would rather buy it while home for 2 reasons: I don't have to carry it at PPUSA, and the most important reason; I want to spend all my money on music when I am there!!!!!!! I love the idea of a pint glass--that would be a must for me!!!

I'd really enjoy being able to purchase PP merch year-round via a webstore. After all the expenses to get to PP, I have limited cash for merchandise. I'd be really discouraged to miss out on the limited edition items if they were only offered at the event itself and not online later. Plus, with airline baggage fees, I like to conserve space in my suitcases. I'll spend a little extra money on a shipping charge when ordering online before/after the event, than trying to deal with the stuff at the show and on the airplanes.

I like a lot of the ideas already mentioned! Posters, beanie/knit hats, tote bags, stickers, the picture book, zippos, glasses/tumblers, coasters... I would buy them all. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is keychains.

How about some bigger items too? Like beach towels, gym bags, throw blankets, windbreakers or hoodies, and throw pillows. Assuming these items will be more costly to produce, perhaps they could be the limited edition products. :)

How about working something out with Esa and doing a ProgPower "Yearbook" using his photos (since he's the "official" PPUSA photographer, right)?

Maybe a 10th Fest retrospective this year and single year volumes going forward...

Self-publishing options have come a long way in the last few years, so a professional looking package can be had for a reasonable price. And I think it would be great to have something to look back on years later.
:Smokin:

Actually, this reminds me of something I'd absolutely love to have, and would pay $100 or more for: A coffee-table type book about ProgPower from day one. Behind-the-scenes anecdotes, interviews, photos (official and fan-taken)...an entire retrospective on ProgPower USA.

Such books could be signed by Glenn and his crew. Of course, it would be written by Glenn, too.

For an extra special collector's item to beat all collector's items one or two books could be signed by every band that played ProgPower since the first PPUSA. These could either be auctioned off or sold for $500 or more apiece. Leather-bound editions. Slip-case editions. You name it.

Trinkets and gadgets and whatnot are fine. I'd buy a ball cap. A car window decal, perhaps. T-shirts are cool. But, as I wrote earlier, they're "stuff."

What I'd pay good money for is a kind of year book, or retrospective -- full color, glossy pages, and enough of a collector's item to embody it with intrinsic value. It would be highly collectible. But it would also be something at least this fan would dearly love to own.

Yes, I dig ProgPower USA that much.

Bill

Pint Glasses ( The concern here would be would you be willing to carry glass items at ProgPower)

I'm going to read the rest of this thread, but this is a HUGE safety issue. Drunk people + Glass + Loud Music is going to = Disaster. If you sell these, please do it outside of the venue itself and do not allow them in. The last thing we need is someone carrying it up the stairs and tripping or some nasty shit like that.

This is a great idea, but I would open it up to anyone who has taken pictures. People could submit their photos and such, and those selected would be run. I know I've taken a few I'd like to see included!

1. PPUSA backpack/Camelback combo for toting purchases & some water/energy bars. Must have a scabbard attachment/loop for the optional plastic sword (you can thank me later, Justin & William)

:lol:

I'm going to read the rest of this thread, but this is a HUGE safety issue. Drunk people + Glass + Loud Music is going to = Disaster. If you sell these, please do it outside of the venue itself and do not allow them in. The last thing we need is someone carrying it up the stairs and tripping or some nasty shit like that.

+1

Didya ever notice, at most large-venue concerts, how alcohol is never doled out in bottles or cans, let alone glass containers...but always in relatively harmless plastic cups?

Yup. That's why.

I would certainly spring for the zippo, seeing as how I chain smoke. At least I'll feel a little better about my terrible habit. =D

On a more serious note, I think the ball caps would be a great idea, and I second (third, including Paul?) the opinion of not selling the glasswear inside the venue. It's just a tad too risky, IMO.

Heck, the venue might not allow glassware sales inside anyway, due to liability concerns.

Let me toss in another vote for Cafepress. They've really improved the variety and quality of the merch they offer, and the graphics quality has also improved. And best of all, since they manufacture to order, you don't end up with a lot of unsold merch, 100 unclaimed mousepads, 1,000 leftover Christmas ornaments, etc. :)

As an example of a Cafepress "storefront" and a look at the graphics quality they can offer, here's the Wraeththu Bazaar, which has artwork and merch based on my friend Storm Constantine's books (as well as other authors and nonfiction she publishes under two imprints).
Now, most of y'all don't know anything about her books or her magickal stuff :) , but you can still see the variety of items available (from mousepads to mugs to glassware to magnets) and also see the vivid quality of Cafepress's image imprinting.

--And they even make black t-shirts, finally. :lol: (Although getting t-shirts printed all at once is probably cheaper.)

Do you even need to ask what we laddies shall say?

GIRLY TEES!

Here-Here! Girls Shirts! :kickass: This was actually my first thought! I'd want this WAY before I'd really care about any other items with the PP logo.

That said, I still think the idea of other merch options is cool!
Posters, Stickers, Beanie caps, coasters ... I like sh0kr0k's ideas of beach towels, throw blankets, and throw pillows (then I can nap during the bands I don't care for without going back to the hotel :lol: j/k).
And of course, PATCHES! :headbang:

Personally, I'd rather have a nice Longsleeve Tee than a hoodie. Hoodies are cool, but I have more use for a long sleeve tee and they're not nearly as expensive.

I also like the Yearbook idea, but maybe that would have to be a pre-order kind of thing ... kinda like a real year book in high school. That way I wouldn't have to worry about having the money when I got there and you guys wouldn't have to worry about over-printing too many.

Yes to the idea of selling items on-line. Cafepress does nice work from what I've seen. (Funny ... I was actually talking to Nick the other day about how they might be a good option for FotV.)

Then again, since Rob is the one asking about our preferences for PP items, my guess is that Pinnacle Print Management is probably going to be handling the production of these items, and possibly even the distribution if it's done online.

I use cafepress for my Madman Merch and its nice that you dont use any money up front, and just have it made as people want it. However the downside is that the merchandise is really limited as far as selection goes. Its great for someone small like me but PP merch would probably be better dealing with a more professional printing company. Jakks I would assume.

You can get an idea at http://www.themetalmadman.com/store.html

As for PP merch some sounds ok although I would most likely pass on anything other than a pint glass. Even that I dont need. The stuff would just collect dust. I spend roughly a grand during the PPUSA long weekend, and anything else in these uncertain times employment/economy wise just doesnt peak my interest at this time.

Girlie Shirts. All I really want are Girlie Shirts. I know that's up to Glenn, but I just have to throw my vote out there, one more time. We used Custom Ink for our shirts and they charged us the same price for girlies as regular shirts and let us buy any quantity we wanted. So, for example, we could buy, say, 40 Large, XL, and Med. Men's shirt and throw in 10 girlies and the price per shirt was the same.

As for other merchandise, there are some great ideas here. Agree that a beer glass shouldn't be sold at the venue, but I would definitely order one on line. A travel coffee mug would be great and could be sold at the venue.

I'd also really like some kind of tote bag, like this one or that one, or perhaps a backpack.

We had BEC clocks made just for our own use and they were really cool. I'd love one from ProgPower. I forget who we used, (have to ask Dave), but it could have been Cafe Press.

The photo book sounds like an excellent idea, but complicated to organize and more than likely, pricey. Not sure how you'd go about that.

I'm not as much in to stickers and posters, but always have use for another keychain/bottle opener.