Question for Paul

The DVD wasn't going to be released until Christmas time this year, so when we decided to release the DVD in July instead, to have it out in time for Graspop, we had to sacrifice the extra features. There just wasn't enough time to get it all on the DVD, and edited properly, so instead of putting something out we weren't happy with, we focused on the performance editing and audio mixing. We STILL plan on recording a live acoustic show for a future DVD, and we have talked about a "documentary" type thing consisting of interviews, and all old bootleg and camcorder recordings spanning the entire career of the band. We're not sure when any of this will happen, but our best guess would be a 2009 release.

Having an all-acoustic show...especially for professional recording purposes...at a local rock club/bar would be a bad idea, due to the amount of noise and the less than appropriate atmosphere for such a thing. Hence the main reason why it's taking us a while to find the right location to do the show. We've got some ideas and some possible leads, and once it falls into place we'll certainly let everyone know.

what about bonus dvd for the next record:Smug:..making of footage, acoustic show and more...would be amazing.

I like stuff like that too, though I have noticed that some people get finnicky about those kinds of packages too. We'd have to release a regular version of the album, and then a "special edition" version of the album in order to please those people who don't care about the DVD. Plus then you have to make sure you sell them circa the same time, otherwise people start crying about how you're ripping them off by releasing a special edition later on and all that stuff (i.e. the Roadrunner syndrome)

Considering the amount of material we plan to put on this next dvd, I think it'll be fine as a stand alone release in it's own right, honestly. But that's not to say that there's not a chance of there being some kind of bonus DVD footage with the next cd as well. Who knows? Ultimately it comes down to what the label wants and is willing to support.

We want to do this badly. The problem is, I can't seem to locate the "right" place. I have a certain look in mind for it, and I'm having an issue finding a venue that's the right size, and in our rental budget.

Can you say "Borders?" :lol:

Even Lacuna Coil did an acoustic set at one downtown. Ha! I don't know much about the smaller venues around here, but Borders is the only place I know of where artists have done acoustic sets.

Well, I'll put this out there again, for any local guys. I'm looking for a theater, holding around 100 people. Something small, intimate, with a stage, and theater seating (NOT MOVABLE CHAIRS.) Something like a small auditorium. I've seen them around, little theaters that put on small plays and such. The vibe, and ambience is important for this show.

We want to do this badly. The problem is, I can't seem to locate the "right" place. I have a certain look in mind for it, and I'm having an issue finding a venue that's the right size, and in our rental budget.

So are you looking for more of a theater-type place? Good acoustics and seating? That would be kind of cool I think. Like an Anathema thing going on haha.

I know this might sound weird, but have you considered a high school auditorium? Granted, I am not sure if they would rent those out for performances by non-HS students.

There are also a lot of those small production companies that do plays. I think the term for these venues might be playhouses? I don't know for sure, as I know very little about acting, plays, dramas, etc.

A friend of ours was in a play in Oak Park a while back, and I remember the room was very small and intimate. The seats were stationary.

I did think of another potential venue.
It is called the LAKESHORE THEATER.
It is at the corner of Broadway and Belmont.

The venue has 330 seats.

Most know this intersection, as it is home to both Reckless Records and the former Metal Haven location.

www.lakeshoretheater.com

Well, I'll put this out there again, for any local guys. I'm looking for a theater, holding around 100 people. Something small, intimate, with a stage, and theater seating (NOT MOVABLE CHAIRS.) Something like a small auditorium. I've seen them around, little theaters that put on small plays and such. The vibe, and ambience is important for this show.

OK, I'll be annoying and repeat the option of the Dusenberg Recital Hall here at VU. Not exactly "local" for Chicago folks, but it fits your description exactly, and the building manager has already said "I am interested and this could be explored" when I posed a hypothetical situation of an otherwise loud and obnoxious band :) wanting to record an acoustic show there.

Here's the main building that the hall is in:

http://valpo.edu/vuca/

Ken

I think the main concern with that place Ken is that it's such a far distance from Chicago, I'd be worried that we'd have a hard time getting people to turn out for it. But it's not completely out of the question, so it is duly noted.