RIP EVH

Oct 4, 2007
I cannot seem to get the "insert link function to work, so I'll simply past the URL.

http://bravewords.com/news/eddie-van-halen-loses-cancer-battle-dead-at-65

I knew it would be a rough year when it started with the loss of Neil Peart, but this one also hurts quite a bit.

I'd hate to draw comparisons, but they are inevitable, for several reasons. On a personal note, Rush and Van Halen were two of the first bands I ever saw live, both in early 1988. But on a broader scale, both were truly innovators in their genres. Both could write and performed amazing solos that were truly compositions, not just musical wankery.

Over the years, I've seen Van Halen nine times, and even though they weren't always at their best, Eddie Van Halen always played his heart out, with this guitar solo often being the highlight of the evening. He was truly a pioneer on the guitar, someone for whom most of the hard rock guitarists that came up in the 1980's emulated to one extent or another. In fact, it might not be too bold of a statement to say that without EVH, you did not get most of the "hair metal" bands that followed. And yet, while so many tried, very few could quite duplicate what EVH did.

RIP EVH. You'll be missed.

"Can't Get This Stuff No More"....

Goddammit.

At their best, Van Halen was the baddest band on Earth. No band could compete the power of Roth era Van Halen....that was such a lethal combo. Pure, unadulterated ROCK magic. I know what I'll be listening to for the next several days...if not weeks. Years.

RIP Eddie.....thanks for musical memories that will never be forgotten.

A true legend of rock guitar. I will never forget hearing "Eruption" for the first time, just blown away at the sounds coming out of the speakers. Few moments have reoccurred that had the same impact, just completely re-wrote the book on rock/metal guitar. And not just for speed and technicality, but also the melodies that made their songs so enjoyable. The term "often imitated, rarely duplicated" is pretty true here. While I find other players to be considered my "favorite", Eddie is one that can't be ignored in the discussion. It's a shame I witnessed so many shows where he was too drunk or whatever to play well, but it was rescued on the last tour with DLR that Eddie was on point and played like I had rarely heard before. It was worth ignoring DLR to witness true greatness with Eddie, Alex and Wolfie jamming the tunes.

He will be missed.... Long live EVH!

I still remember where I was the first time I heard I heard "Eruption" on the radio. I just sat there with my mouth open and listened. Someone had brought the guitar back into rock music...with an exclamation point!!! Then, while still in shock, I hear the best version of "You Really Got Me" I have ever heard. As a child of the 60s, I was very familiar with that song. This version was in another universe!! Then, the radio station didn't say who the band was!!!! No Google or anything to figure out who the FUCK that was!!!

My personal guitar hero is Criss Oliva (RIP). His main influence was EVH and it showed in his style.

Rock
In
Peace, Eddie

EDDIE VAN HALEN Tributes Pour In From KISS, ANTHRAX, BLACK SABBATH, SAMMY HAGAR – “Heartbroken And Speechless”

OZZY OSBOURNE, METALLICA Pay Tribute To EDDIE VAN HALEN – “We Considered Him An Inspiration”

STEVE VAI - "Never To Be Filled"

DAVID LEE ROTH Pays Tribute To EDDIE VAN HALEN

JOE SATRIANI In Praise Of EDDIE VAN HALEN - "I Hope He Gets Remembered As The Greatest Of The Generation."

Obituary: Author MARTIN POPOFF On Death Of EDDIE VAN HALEN

EDDIE VAN HALEN’s Widow Shares Emotional Farewell To Her Husband - "I Will See You Again Soon In A Place With No Pain Or Sorrow"

MICHAEL SCHENKER Pens Letter To EDDIE VAN HALEN - "You Were The BEST Of Our Generation"

RITCHIE BLACKMORE Pays Tribute To EDDIE VAN HALEN - "He Will Be Sadly Missed But His Brilliant Legacy Will Always Be Remembered"

SAMMY HAGAR Had Mended Fences With Former VAN HALEN Bandmate EDDIE VAN HALEN - "We Both Agreed Not To Tell Anyone Because Of All The Rumours It Would Stir Up About A Reunion"

ALEX VAN HALEN Pens Tribute To Brother EDDIE VAN HALEN - "See You On The Other Side"

SAMMY HAGAR & MICHAEL ANTHONY - "We Love You Eddie... The Music Will Live Forever"; Video

VAN HALEN Manager IRVING AZOFF - In 2019 "There Was Every Intention Of Doing A Summer Stadium Tour"

DWEEZIL ZAPPA - "Music Was Changed Forever When EDWARD VAN HALEN Was Introduced To The World, And Now It Is Forever Changed By His Early Departure"

EDDIE VAN HALEN Borrowed Former W.A.S.P. Guitarist CHRIS HOLMES' Guitar For Women And Children First Album; Mean Man Documentary Bonus Sequence Streaming
[URL='http://bravewords.com/news/black-sabbath-guitarist-tony-iommi-reflects-on-longtime-friend-eddie-van-halen-i-think-hes-had-a-huge-impression-on-millions-and-millions-of-guitar-players']BLACK SABBATH Guitarist TONY IOMMI Reflects On Longtime Friend EDDIE VAN HALEN - "I Think He’s Had A Huge Impression On Millions And Millions Of Guitar Players"
[/URL]
http://bravewords.com/news/eddie-va...mean-man-documentary-bonus-sequence-streaming
ROB HALFORD Pays Tribute To EDDIE VAN HALEN - "I Was Blasting VAN HALEN All Day Yesterday To Get Me Through The Loss Of This Incredible Player"; Audio

AYREON Mastermind ARJEN LUCASSEN - "EDDIE VAN HALEN Was A Total Example For Me; Van Halen 1 Had The Best Guitar Sound Ever"

SLASH On The Passing Of EDDIE VAN HALEN - "It's Hard For Me To Verbally Say Anything, Other Than I'm Just Devastated"

Producer TED TEMPLEMAN Remembers EDDIE VAN HALEN - "He Never Made A Mistake Ever, He Played Perfectly"

RATT Bassist JUAN CROUCIER - "EDDIE VAN HALEN And His Band Were The Forerunners Of An Entire Movement In Rock Music; There Is An Immeasurable Debt Of Gratitude Owed To What They Accomplished"

STEVE VAI - "I Could Never Play Like Him, I Never Tried; Only An Idiot Competes With EDDIE VAN HALEN"

SAMMY HAGAR And MICHAEL ANTHONY Pay Tribute To EDDIE VAN HALEN With Live Performance Of "Right Now" (Video)

Photographer MARK WEISS Looks Back On VAN HALEN's Early Years In New BBC Interview - "They Were Like Four Frontmen; It Was An Amazing Band"

TRIXTER Guitarist STEVE BROWN Looks Back On 30-Year Relationship With EDDIE VAN HALEN - "He Treated Everybody Like A Normal Person Because That's All Ed Was, And That's All He Ever Wanted To Be"; Audio

ROB HALFORD Reflects On Life And Legacy Of EDDIE VAN HALEN - "It's Absolutely Horrible That We've Lost Yet Another Incredibly Talented Musician"; Video

STEVE VAI, K.K. DOWNING, JOE SATRIANI And Other Guitar Greats Pay Tribute To EDDIE VAN HALEN - "He Was Absolutely Brilliant And A Real Visionary"

Flashback: EDDIE VAN HALEN Guests On CBS Sitcom Two And A Half Men; Video

WOLFGANG VAN HALEN Shares Photos Celebrating His Relationship With Father EDDIE VAN HALEN

BRIAN MAY On Seeing EDDIE VAN HALEN Perform - "There Hadn't Been Anything So Shocking Since JIMI HENDRIX, And It Was Just Glorious"

SAMMY HAGAR On Renewing Friendship With EDDIE VAN HALEN Earlier This Year - "He Said, 'What Took You So Long?' It Put The Biggest Smile On My Face"

GENE SIMMONS On EDDIE VAN HALEN - "I Was Not Just Amazed By His Talent, But I Admire Him So Much As A Human Being"

EDDIE VAN HALEN - Fan-Filmed Video Of Final Show Featuring Soundboard Audio Uploaded On YouTube

Reactions: NorseBlood and Kez