Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage (documentary film)

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
World Premiere April 24th, 25th, 26th and 30th at the Tribeca Film Festival.

http://www.tribecafilm.com/filmguide/87139962.html
[RUSHD] | 2009 | 106 min | Feature Documentary

Directed by: Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn
Canada

World Premiere
Interests: Documentary, Music
Cast & Credits
Director: Scot McFadyen, Sam Dunn
Producer: Scot McFadyen, Sam Dunn
Editor: Mike Munn
Executive Producer: Noah Segal, Pegi Cecconi, Shelley Nott.
Writers: Scot McFadyen, Sam Dunn, Mike Dunn
Cinematographer: Martin Hawkes
Program Notes

For fans of the legendary Canadian band RUSH, this is the documentary to experience. A comprehensive exploration of the entire history of this extraordinary power trio, from their early days growing up in Toronto, through each of their landmark albums, to the present day. Sit back and revel in the words, music, and wonder of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neal Peart.

With a career spanning four decades, RUSH is one of the most successful bands in the history of popular music, but despite their remarkable career achievements, they have never been recognized as critics' darlings. Directors Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn instead revel in interviews with the band's admirers and contemporaries, including Gene Simmons (Kiss), Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins), Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Jack Black, and others. Chock-full of rare backstage and concert footage, RUSH: Beyond the Lighted Stage leaves no stone unturned in its creation of an intimate portrait of these immensely talented and iconoclastic musicians.
--Jim Browne

hopefully it'll do well enough, some distribution will happen and many of us won't have to wait for it to hit Netflix to see it.

Cool.

Interesting that they included Billy Corgan. I was at an extremely limited acoustic appearance he did here in Atlanta many years ago now, and during his performance he mentioned that he liked Rush (I may have been the only person in the audience who cheered :)). Afterwards during his autographing I asked him what his favorite Rush album was, and he hesitantly answered "Sig..."
"Signals?" I supplied, and he nodded, and I began to walk away....
Then he suddenly said "No, wait!" and waved to the security guys to let me walk back over. "Cygnus X-1? Book 2?" he said.
"Oh, you mean Hemispheres!"
"That's it!"

I was more impressed with THAT answer. :)

lol..years ago, I also heard an account of Corgan being a Yes fan.

I think some of the grunge and modern rock stars are closet prog fans, that just don't care to come out publicy and admit it. And apparently some of them will be included on this documentary. Another example: Dave Grohl is friends with Portnoy, and I guess is a Dream Theater fan.

Corgan writes some not-so-simplistic music. I'm definitely a fan of his early stuff. I haven't heard the latest outputs enough to say.

I don't know what to think of this documentary, but being a Rush fan I'll watch it at some point.

Sam Dunn is the dude that did Heavy Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. I enjoyed that immensely and know that he probably was a thorough as he could be with this documentary as well.

it's going to be premiering on VH1/VH1 Classic on June 26th

http://www.bravewords.com/news/137071

rushposter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely no disrespect towards the band, they are no doubt one of the biggest and most enduring names in rock music as far as integrity is concerned:

But has anyone else kinda wondered why exactly someone is making a documentary about Rush? I mean, most great muisc documentaries require a certain event or piece of drama in order for them to be done - not just a history of the band or something. Rush has never struck me as a particularly interesting band with a lot going on "behind closed doors". It's not like the Metallica documentary where there was a shit-ton of band drama or the Iron Maiden documentary where they embarked on one of the most ambitious tours in metal history. Rush is... Rush... doesn't seem that appealing outside of bigass Rush fans. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

I believe this documentary was made for these reasons.

1. Sam Dunn is a huge fan.
2. I have faith that Dunn will make this a great film as he always does.
2. Rush has influenced countless bands. From rock to metal to even pop. You'll find most bands in nearly every sub-genre of metal will cite Rush as an influence.
3. How many bands have been selling out the larger venues in US cities on regular basis since the late 1970s? They have a HUGE fan base, that will purchase this documentary and watch it when it airs on TV.

So they may not have the sex, drugs, or booze stories that nearly cost the band their career, but I'm sure there will be some interesting stories like that from the 1970s. And the tragedy that Peart suffered in the late 1990s is second to none. So another likely interesting story line will be the band's rebound from Peart's tragedy to continue to tour and play countries to HUGE crowds longing for Rush.

And the Iron Maiden documentary was made for the general public, NOT "bigass" Iron Maiden fans?? I don't understand your logic, or your reason for questioning the filmmakers. I'm thinking you just don't care for the band, and that's fine.

I thought the film was excellent, with plenty of never seen footage of the early days (playing middle school dances!), family interviews and photos/home movies, and lots of insightful commentary by the bandmembers themselves. Sure there were some omissions (Roll The Bones anyone?), but overall a pretty comprehensive look at the band, its origins, and it's progression through the years. Thoroughly enjoyable for me. Highly recommended for FANS of the band.

Absolutely no disrespect towards the band, they are no doubt one of the biggest and most enduring names in rock music as far as integrity is concerned:

But has anyone else kinda wondered why exactly someone is making a documentary about Rush? I mean, most great muisc documentaries require a certain event or piece of drama in order for them to be done - not just a history of the band or something. Rush has never struck me as a particularly interesting band with a lot going on "behind closed doors". It's not like the Metallica documentary where there was a shit-ton of band drama or the Iron Maiden documentary where they embarked on one of the most ambitious tours in metal history. Rush is... Rush... doesn't seem that appealing outside of bigass Rush fans. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.

Well to counter your argument, my dad for one is very interested in seeing this movie, even maybe more than I am and he hates Rush. Go figure. I also think Airguitar...'s post is pretty right on as far as why it was made. They have huge influence but...

I believe this documentary was made for these reasons.

1. Sam Dunn is a huge fan.
2. I have faith that Dunn will make this a great film as he always does.
2. Rush has influenced countless bands. From rock to metal to even pop. You'll find most bands in nearly every sub-genre of metal will cite Rush as an influence.
3. How many bands have been selling out the larger venues in US cities on regular basis since the late 1970s? They have a HUGE fan base, that will purchase this documentary and watch it when it airs on TV.

So they may not have the sex, drugs, or booze stories that nearly cost the band their career, but I'm sure there will be some interesting stories like that from the 1970s. And the tragedy that Peart suffered in the late 1990s is second to none. So another likely interesting story line will be the band's rebound from Peart's tragedy to continue to tour and play countries to HUGE crowds longing for Rush.

I'll add one thing. The interesting thing about Rush is that they have a HUGE fan base and have influenced countless bands, yet a number of rock critics absolutely hate the band, not to mention that they do this with very little promotion. I think that is a very intriguing aspect to them. Not all band documentaries have to be about inner turmoil, sex, drugs, etc.

Saw it last night and thought it was brilliant. I am much more of a Maiden fan than Rush, but I enjoyed this doc more and even enjoyed it more then Metal: A Headbangers Journey. This will be the one that Dunn is remembered for the most. Absolutely brilliant, and I am only a passing fan of Rush (I like everything up through Moving Pictures).

And the Iron Maiden documentary was made for the general public, NOT "bigass" Iron Maiden fans?? I don't understand your logic, or your reason for questioning the filmmakers. I'm thinking you just don't care for the band, and that's fine.

I knew this was going to happen, and it's not true - which is why I proceeded everything I said with this statement:
"Absolutely no disrespect towards the band, they are no doubt one of the biggest and most enduring names in rock music as far as integrity is concerned:"

I definitely like Rush - I'm willing to admit that I'm not a huge fan, but this has nothing to do with not liking them.

And I wasn't suggesting every band documentary had to be about sex/drugs/etc - it's just that usually people don't choose to make full-length documentaries simply on the history of the band or whatnot. There's at least one specific event about the band the movie is choosing to document, such as a tour, the recording of an album, one specific period of their career, etc. Band history documentaries just sort of strike me as should-be straight-to-DVD fodder.

Saw it last night and thought it was brilliant. I am much more of a Maiden fan than Rush, but I enjoyed this doc more and even enjoyed it more then Metal: A Headbangers Journey. This will be the one that Dunn is remembered for the most. Absolutely brilliant, and I am only a passing fan of Rush (I like everything up through Moving Pictures).

Wow! More known for this than Headbanger's? I don't know about that one. I'll have to see it before I can argue that point. Haven't seen the Iron Maiden one yet, though I do have it. I did like Global Metal too, but I thought they could've done more with it.

I thought the film was excellent, with plenty of never seen footage of the early days (playing middle school dances!), family interviews and photos/home movies, and lots of insightful commentary by the bandmembers themselves. Sure there were some omissions (Roll The Bones anyone?),

That wasn't an omission, it was a mercy. :)

(That's my least favorite of the "modern era" Rush albums.)

I'll add one thing. The interesting thing about Rush is that they have a HUGE fan base and have influenced countless bands, yet a number of rock critics absolutely hate the band, not to mention that they do this with very little promotion. I think that is a very intriguing aspect to them. Not all band documentaries have to be about inner turmoil, sex, drugs, etc.

This.

And I wasn't suggesting every band documentary had to be about sex/drugs/etc - it's just that usually people don't choose to make full-length documentaries simply on the history of the band or whatnot. There's at least one specific event about the band the movie is choosing to document, such as a tour, the recording of an album, one specific period of their career, etc.

Maybe it's because the filmmaker just so happens to like the band a lot...maybe he felt that they deserve a well-handled documentary treatment. (A sentiment with which I wholeheartedly agree.)

Band history documentaries just sort of strike me as should-be straight-to-DVD fodder.

Well, aside from a limited one-night screening, I gather that it IS a straight-to-DVD release!

just saw this last night. Very well done, just like Sam Dunn's other films.
My only complaint is no mention at all of Roll The Bones. I know I'm in the minority here, but I love that album.

Anyone know what happened with the other metal doc he was making, called "Metal: A Global (Something)"...or something like that. I remember hearing about it but then hearing nothing about a release or anything.