Simple question about mixing drum replacement

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I have a few questions about a particular topic :

- do you keep only the replaced track or do you mix both ?

- if you mix both do you process them on the same bus or do you split the processing (i.e. the replaced for the attack and the original to have a more natural full sound)

Just to see how everyone manages it :)

Hello,

I have a few questions about a particular topic :

- do you keep only the replaced track or do you mix both ?

- if you mix both do you process them on the same bus or do you split the processing (i.e. the replaced for the attack and the original to have a more natural full sound)

Just to see how everyone manages it :)

Heavily depends on the original material. Sometimes I mix, sometimes I completely replace.

I usually apply dynamics independently, but may bus them for effects to avoid the "Holy shit, was this drum kit recorded in 15 different rooms?!" sound.

exactly what sysera just said... its all down to the original sound... for eg... if the snare is good but lacks a certain element such as crack or depth... just mix in a sample that is suitable to provide this... however if the snare sounds flat... boring... plain or just plain rubbish... then fully replace it....

However, always test it in the mix first... youll be suprised what fits in the entire mix to what it sounds like standalone...

in terms of processing... it depends yet again on the initial sound you are trying to acheive... for eg... with the snare, if you have a great sound now from blending samples but is still lacking depth... you may want to mix one track to provide the crack which would be lost in EQ filtering... and the other, detune the snare slightly, put a nice verb on it and take away the direct signal to provide that deepness...

hope this helps ;)

Well, I do the same, but I wanted to start the thread whenever somebody has something special about it. I mean, I tend to process the drum replaced sound differently, but some would maybe try to glue both really well together.

Also, I wondered if anyone had experimented drum replacing a track with a sound that has nothing to compare with the original one. Just and idea. I remember on the dvd before the last from Arch Enemy a drum solo with the cymbals triggered to orchestra hits.

I've had differing results.Sometimes adding a snare or toms definately helps bring life to the track,sometimes the band prefer to keep it authentic.

Usually in the case of adding samples i do what i can to make it sound like one kit,sometimes means picking samples that on there own sound shit,but blended bring out the charecter im looking for.

I usually bus all the drums to the same send,but will process samples on individual channels.

Last but not least,good drummers make easy work when recording kits,but average drummers really make it tough.

Well, I do the same, but I wanted to start the thread whenever somebody has something special about it. I mean, I tend to process the drum replaced sound differently, but some would maybe try to glue both really well together.

Also, I wondered if anyone had experimented drum replacing a track with a sound that has nothing to compare with the original one. Just and idea. I remember on the dvd before the last from Arch Enemy a drum solo with the cymbals triggered to orchestra hits.

You can sidechain a signal generator too it ;)

Normally i just totally replace. Unless the drum already sounds decent. but normally i just use sound replacer or drumagog and totally replace and process the new samples. :]

I personally like using a shit load of different drum samples together in tandem to create these crazy franken-snare sounds.
A mix I'm working on at the minute has 7 different snare samples all blended together, and it sounds fucking tits

I do it a lot for kicks too, especially in metal mixes where the kick can be all one velocity and no-one could care less.
I haven't ever been over 4 blended kicks before though.

I like going crazy on that shit. I treat blending snares less as a OMG REPLACE THIS, IT SOUNDS SHIT sorta thing and more as a part of the creativity. Just like blending different amps together on a recording. I did a track with a bud a while back that was Krankenstein +, Diezel Herbert, 5150 and Mesa Triple Rec, all filling in different frequency ranges to create this ridiculous guitar sound that couldn't have been done any other way. Well maybe it could have been done with some crazy eq, but blending 4 amps was more fun.

100% kick normally, with a sample of the kit.
Blend the Snare mic with a sample of the snare itself, and maybe a slate snare and the slate room on the snare. maybe
Also use the sample as the send to the reverb for the snare no hihat in snare verb=win
and use the sample as a sidechain trigger on channelstrips gate on the mic'd track

Hate hate hate triggered toms