Some cool tunes from 2010

He probably just doesn't know it's wrong. People do this on Youtube all the time, and they do it out of love for the bands. While it's important to remind people that it's wrong, you also shouldn't come down too hard on fans who are just trying to show some love.

He probably just doesn't know it's wrong.
Pretty much anyone over the age of 12 has been made aware of what constitutes piracy and what does not. While it has become socially acceptable in many ways, it seems like fans of less popular genres - such as this crowd - are generally more in tune with the fact that not paying for music has a direct impact on the bands, labels, and retailers that we're fans of.

People do this on Youtube all the time, and they do it out of love for the bands.
YouTube also has a system in place for bands, labels, and copyright holders to request that offending material be taken down, and they generally will do so with a pretty low burden of proof - in many cases, taking down videos that fall under fair use guidelines.

Conversely, a random RAR file on rapidshare has virtually no way for copyright holders to assert their rights. Yes, this is somewhat of a tangential point, but YouTube at least provides a way for bands to be aggressive in protecting their music if they so choose.

I'm sure none of you ever made and shared or received (and then listened to) a mix tape before. Yeah yeah, its not 'right' or 'legal' but why all the cries of fire... every...single..time..........?

Pretty much anyone over the age of 12 has been made aware of what constitutes piracy and what does not. While it has become socially acceptable in many ways, it seems like fans of less popular genres - such as this crowd - are generally more in tune with the fact that not paying for music has a direct impact on the bands, labels, and retailers that we're fans of.

YouTube also has a system in place for bands, labels, and copyright holders to request that offending material be taken down, and they generally will do so with a pretty low burden of proof - in many cases, taking down videos that fall under fair use guidelines.

Conversely, a random RAR file on rapidshare has virtually no way for copyright holders to assert their rights. Yes, this is somewhat of a tangential point, but YouTube at least provides a way for bands to be aggressive in protecting their music if they so choose.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

did someone get their feelings hurt?

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

did someone get their feelings hurt?
No...I have no vested interest in whether Fire breath posts music, I just happen to think that ignorance is a poor defense and responded to a couple of adaher's points.

I didn't realize that posting an opinion automatically constituted getting butthurt...should I have thrown a couple smileys in there so everyone would know that it's not a huge deal? :rolleyes: <-- Like that maybe? :) <-- Oh wow, look at me go!

I'm sure none of you ever made and shared or received (and then listened to) a mix tape before. Yeah yeah, its not 'right' or 'legal' but why all the cries of fire... every...single..time..........?
I download music constantly. That's not the point. The point is simply that Glenn has made his feelings clear on this issue.

Yeah yeah, its not 'right' or 'legal' but why all the cries of fire... every...single..time..........?

You want to know why? Really? You can't figure it out on your own?

I'll tell you why:

Because I'm no longer making enough money on the music business alone to pay my rent, to pay for food for my wife and kid, to pay for gas, to pay for ... well, anything actually.

There was a time before people starting illegally downloading (STEALING!) where I actually made a living on this business. There was a time where this business was fun.

Now, at first I didn't really care - I knew it was a losing battle discussing "morale" with people on forums. But when people blatantly shove it in my face that "here's a link where you can download what's not mine" that is where I'll tell you all that it's wrong.

This isn't just "fun and games" for me - if you want to be a thief and download, go ahead. But don't expect me to sit still and think it's okay that you're stealing my money and taking bread out of the mouth of my kid and wife. I'm gonna make a fuss about it, just as I would if you walked into my kitchen uninvited, opened up the fridge and took out my food. A thief is a thief, and he needs to be called out on it.

And before some of you will say it's time for me to find another business, then don't worry. I do other stuff than music. It wasn't always like that, but I've had to because of THIEVES!

c.

Pretty much anyone over the age of 12 has been made aware of what constitutes piracy and what does not.

Sure, uploading an album is piracy. But this is more akin to a mix CD, and it's more likely to turn people on to music they haven't heard before.

Sharing mix tapes has been a traditional part of how music gets spread for our whole lives. I don't think the internet should change that. Geez, I've still got mix tapes from the 80s.

Now, at first I didn't really care - I knew it was a losing battle discussing "morale" with people on forums. But when people blatantly shove it in my face that "here's a link where you can download what's not mine" that is where I'll tell you all that it's wrong.
I'm curious... in your mind, is the act of downloading, in an of itself, stealing? I'll use myself as an example. Let's say I download 300 CDs a year. And let's say I buy everything I enjoy, which averages out to be about 75 - 100 CDs a year. The fact that I didn't buy the other 200 - 225 CDs... is that stealing?

Sure, uploading an album is piracy. But this is more akin to a mix CD, and it's more likely to turn people on to music they haven't heard before.

Sharing mix tapes has been a traditional part of how music gets spread for our whole lives. I don't think the internet should change that. Geez, I've still got mix tapes from the 80s.

I more than agree that I think it's a bit different to make a sampler of 16 different bands than it is to upload entire albums (or discographies) from bands, that seem to be done with the intent to bypass the process of buying music. There is NO crime in mixed CDs/mix-tapes, and CD samplers (which come out officially all the time) - made with the intent to expose people to music they will like and then support. If not for the era of Mix-CDs about 8 or 9 years ago, I probably never would've gotten into the volume of music I got into, or at least not nearly as fast. I own 500+ CDs now, and buy/support with every opportunity. I don't think that exact process is hurting anyone.

But I do more than respect the wish to not share music publicly on a form, and that ignorance is not an excuse for deliberately sharing music like that. I have been on a couple of message boards over the years and they've all had anti-downloads/leaks policies.

I'm curious... in your mind, is the act of downloading, in an of itself, stealing? I'll use myself as an example. Let's say I download 300 CDs a year. And let's say I buy everything I enjoy, which averages out to be about 75 - 100 CDs a year. The fact that I didn't buy the other 200 - 225 CDs... is that stealing?

I think that as long as you do away with the albums you don't like and don't buy, you have nothing to be ashamed of. I do the same thing. Not with quite the same volume, but I use downloading as an intensive screening process. Sure, for bands that I love enough and trust their consistency enough to buy anything (new Maiden, Blind Guardian, Vanden Plas, Redemption), no screening is necessary. But the ability to download music to screen new bands or "iffy" stuff has actually led to me discovering twice as much music (which I then support), and leads to me spending the same amount of money, just in a smarter fashion.

You want to know why? Really? You can't figure it out on your own?

I'll tell you why:

Because I'm no longer making enough money on the music business alone to pay my rent, to pay for food for my wife and kid, to pay for gas, to pay for ... well, anything actually.

There was a time before people starting illegally downloading (STEALING!) where I actually made a living on this business. There was a time where this business was fun.

This isn't just "fun and games" for me - if you want to be a thief and download, go ahead. But don't expect me to sit still and think it's okay that you're stealing my money and taking bread out of the mouth of my kid and wife. I'm gonna make a fuss about it, just as I would if you walked into my kitchen uninvited, opened up the fridge and took out my food. A thief is a thief, and he needs to be called out on it.

And before some of you will say it's time for me to find another business, then don't worry. I do other stuff than music. It wasn't always like that, but I've had to because of THIEVES!

c.

thank you. This drives me nuts to no end. Even worse than music is what is happening to the movie industry....sure there are people who think...well that movie made millions but there are tons that are smaller films that people will watch bootlegs of online and not go to the theater and support. So people think...well I am not hurting anyone by doing this. No...you basically stole someone's hard work for your own and not paid for it. People wonder why stuff doesnt get wide releases or why some things dont make it out to thier city....well this is one of the reasons why. You may think...well I am just one person. Well there may be 2,000 others with the same thought. So if you were making a low budget filmaker and your first film say hit a few theaters and say those 2,000 who watched it online didnt go to the theater to support it. Well that directors film just lost out on lots of revenue.

Same goes to record labels and bands. Like Claus, I am sick of people downloading and stealing. We lost a great record store here in Chicago last month that has been around for over 10 years due to people not buying CD's and just downloading them. Basically we are slowly killing out own scene by stealing from it.

It amazes me is that people who are actually smart still havent figured this out.

It amazes me is that people who are actually smart still havent figured this out.

I don't think I know a single person who hasn't "figured it out" or doesn't "get it". I think most somewhat intelligent people know exactly what music piracy is doing/has done to the music industry. I've just learned that there are three types of people when it comes to what they do with that information:

1) Ignore it, and continue to download all the music they want, regardless of consequence or implications.

2) Understand that downloading is essentially a bad thing unless you use it solely as a screening process to check out new music, and then continue to support music as you would without downloading, just with an informed opinion of what you're buying.

3) Act like anyone who downloads anything ever is a criminal and should be ashamed, no matter why they downloaded it, or if they actually wound up buying it.

I don't know if I know a single person who doesn't fit into one of these general categories.

I think it is the record label's fault too. The only real reason to buy a CD nowadays is if you're a "collector" like me or something, especially since you don't need to fiddle around with a plastic disc thingy that breaks if you're just gonna upload it to your computer.

Record labels need to come up with something innovative and exciting. If they want the masses to buy the music instead of downloading it, they need to sell the album as a product that is more than just the music. You're not going to sell an album unless the customer WANTS to buy it. I haven't seen the music industry come out with anything new and innovative in regards to the physical CD itself (with a few exceptions). In an era where technology progresses at an outstanding rate, the music industry hasn't done much besides make it all electronic (which just makes it easier to steal).

So until record labels and bands do something cool and innovative, I can see why nobody buys music anymore. I mean, imagine if Apple or Ford or most other businesses never bothered to release future generations of a product. They'd be out of business. No wonder the record labels are struggling financially.

Do we really need another thread about downloading?

Everyone has heard the arguments, and everyone has already decided which side of the line that they stand on.

I am pretty sure that fire breath didnt do this for any other reason they to help us discover some new music. (next time man just use youtube links).

But can we please not do this flamewar again. lets call this thread a mistake, Glenn close or delete please.