SONATA ARCTICA: The Ninth Hour

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
SONATA ARCTICA REVEAL COVER ART AND DETAILS OF NEW ALBUM THE NINTH HOUR

"...Only two years after the release of Pariah's Child and a massive world tour, the Finnish Melodic Metal quintet Sonata Arctica are already back for more – their ninth masterpiece entitled The Ninth Hour will see the light of day on October 7th....

SonataArcticacover.jpg

...Sonata Arctica recently announced they will return this fall for a 33-date headlining tour of North America. The kick-off show is slated for November 6th at The Fillmore in Charlotte, NC. Supporting the band will be German-Norwegian symphonic metallers Leaves’ Eyes and Finnish melodic death metallers Omnium Gatherum opening.

Advanced tickets for the confirmed tour dates are now available exclusively at EnterTheVault.com. A limited number of VIP Meet & Greet tickets which include a poster will be available for for purchase for each show.

sonatatourapril.jpg

November
6 - The Fillmore - Charlotte, NC
7 - The Fillmore - Silver Spring, MD
8 - Upstate Concert Hall - Clifton Park, NY
9 - The Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA
11 - Starland Ballroom - Sayreville, NJ
12 - Webster Theater - Hartford, CT
13 - Club Soda - Montreal, QC
14 - Mavericks - Ottawa, ON
16 - Dallas - Kitchener, ON
17 - Park Street Saloon - Columbus, OH
18 - Token Lounge - Westland, MI
19 - Altar Bar - Pittsburgh, PA
21 - Rave - Milwaukee, WI
22 - Mill City Nights - Minneapolis, MN
24 - The Exchange - Regina, SK Canada
25 - Dickens - Calgary, AB Canada
26 - Starlite Room - Edmonton, AB Canada
28 - The Venue - Vancouver, BC Canada
29 - El Corazon - Seattle, WA
30 - Hawthorne Theatre - Portland, OR

December
2 - Slim’s - San Francisco, CA
3 - Brick by Brick - San Diego, CA
4 - The Grove - Anaheim, CA
5 - Club Red - Tempe, AZ
6 - Tricky Falls - El Paso, TX
8 - Gothic Theater - Englewood, CO
9 - Granada - Lawrence, KS
10 - Trees - Dallas, TX
11 - Cine el Rey - McAllen, TX
13 - Alamo Music Hall - San Antonio, TX
14 - Scout Bar - Houston, TX
16 - House of Blues - Lake Buena Vista, FL
17 - The Masquerade - Atlanta, GA

Huge disappointment for me. To much mellow stuff. At this point it's a toss up between this and The new Amaranthe for biggest flop of 2016.

I may be the only one, but I actually like parts of the new Amaranthe.....(although I can 't stand the song, "That Song" as it went overkill on the POP. Not even pop metal, but straight up radio pop.......

But I Partially like most of the songs because I like the vocal melodies, but also because it seemed like every one of their albums was starting to sound the same...... Yea, it's definitely "overall" more poppy, but the songs are very catchy and it's something different as opposed to same ol same ol........But I do skip "That Song".....bleh!!!

Haven't heard the new Sonata Arctica yet though.....but it doesn't sound too promising from the reviews I've read........

Last edited:
Huge disappointment for me. To much mellow stuff. At this point it's a toss up between this and The new Amaranthe for biggest flop of 2016.

I would give it a few more listens. I am really starting to like it. Granted it is not old Sonata which just hit you after one or two listens. it is newer prog Sonata, the melodies are still there it just takes a few more spins for them to sink in.

I would give it a few more listens. I am really starting to like it. Granted it is not old Sonata which just hit you after one or two listens. it is newer prog Sonata, the melodies are still there it just takes a few more spins for them to sink in.

I will definitely be giving both of them more spins, mainly because I'm seeing Sonata Arctica in November and obviously Amarnathe for the ProgPower experience next year. There's somethings to like on both CD's and hopefully the rest will grow on me in the months to come.

After a good 3-4 spins, still not sinking in/liking it. I want to like it.... I may do like I did with Pariah and put it down for 6 months and try again before liking it.
The sad thing is, I was on the fence about travelling to go see them in Charlotte (3 hours away) and now I am thinking I will not be, due to the fact they are going to be playing a lot of this CD.

Biggest disappointment to me was the White Pearl Black Oceans prequel/sequel. The original song was so awesome and this one falls a great bit short.