Sonata Arctica

BlackenedDawn

Sep 24, 2004
Baltimore
Just finally came back home from the first Sonata Arctica show of the US tour. I really didn't think the show was going to happen for some reason, but it went fucking great! All the openers were badass. As for Sonata : Awesome show and a great set! They played a good number of songs from each of their albums (I have the whole set list, i'm not sure if people want to read it right away), playing close to an hour and a half. It was really great to see an entire set for the band. Anyone else get to go? I saw a few people, it would be nice to hear what others thought of the show.

As for the rest of tour, It will be interesting to see how their sets will be affected with some of the other shows (The New England festival mainly), and hearing about the rest of the dates. If anyone is able to catch this show, it is well worth it. :)

BlackenedDawn said:
Just finally came back home from the first Sonata Arctica show of the US tour. I really didn't think the show was going to happen for some reason, but it went fucking great! All the openers were badass. As for Sonata : Awesome show and a great set! They played a good number of songs from each of their albums (I have the whole set list, i'm not sure if people want to read it right away), playing close to an hour and a half. It was really great to see an entire set for the band. Anyone else get to go? I saw a few people, it would be nice to hear what others thought of the show.

As for the rest of tour, It will be interesting to see how their sets will be affected with some of the other shows (The New England festival mainly), and hearing about the rest of the dates. If anyone is able to catch this show, it is well worth it. :)

I am going tomorrow. But I will not be able to tell you their setlist because I only have 1 cd by them so far, so I don't know most songs. How was Overkill? Or is Overkill only going to be for the NYC show? There were opening bands? Local unknown ones?

Overkill ironically played a show in Baltimore on Saturday night, but their show with Sonata is in NYC. The openers for the show were 3 local gems, Engage, Odin's Court and Division.

I am going tomorrow. But I will not be able to tell you their setlist because I only have 1 cd by them so far, so I don't know most songs. How was Overkill? Or is Overkill only going to be for the NYC show? There were opening bands? Local unknown ones?

I'll be seeing them tonight in NYC too. Unfortunately they warm-up and not headline. Even so, it'd be great to see that set list. Did they play a lot off Reckoning? I'll try to grab a set list tonight.

Anyone else going?

I am going tonight in NYC, wearing my ProgPower shirt =)

Does anybody know what the setlist will be and how long they're playing for?

I'll be going to the Metal fest just to see Sonata. I'm curious if they're going to stick to the heavy/fast songs due to the bands they're having to play with, and not do many ballads. Hopefully they do Wildfire though...one of my favorites from the new cd, that I hear they have dropped from their setlists over in Europe.

Damnit, I just found out that they're only playing for 30 minutes at the festival. What a tease.

This is a Sonata Arctica full set :

Intro/Misplaced
Blinded No More
Full Moon (With a part of White Pearl)
Victoria's Secret
Broken
8th Commandment
Shamandalie
Kingdom For A Heart
Replica
My Land
Black Sheep
Sing In Silence
The End of This Chapter

Encore:
Gravenimage (First few verses)/Don't Say A Word
The Cage

They had a lot of fun with the show, throwing things in between and in the songs. They played a minute of No More Tears, and even started singing KISS. They ended the set with a song about wanting vodka, haha.

Covered a little bit of everything with the set. 5 from Ecliptica, 3 from Silence, 3 from Winterheart's Guild and 4 from Reckoning Night. The set was close to an hour and a half. I can only assume for the opening show they will play half of this and stick to the heavier songs (which isn't a bad thing, of course). As for the Metal Festival, it all depends on when they go on. If they are earlier, they probably will only play 3, 4 songs (I would assume all from Reckoning Night), but if they play later they could have a set as long as the Overkill show.

I should be heading down to the city in less than a hour...

Hope to see everyone there! If anything, I'll have my ProgPower V shirt on, you're welcome to come and introduce yourself!

Those who're going, have a great fucking time!

Just got home from the show in NYC... They played a full setlist... not only 45 minutes, but almost 90 minutes (if not)... the setlist was the same as posted above (I believe it was the same thing)...

Teh band had sound problems in the first song, Misplaced, but afterwards they were completely flawless... PERFECT! Tony Kakko RULES live... I never thought they would be this good... I am proud to say that because of this show I like Sonata Arctica way more! And the guys in the band are awesome too, really down to earth and all....

Hope you all can catch this tour!

I'm glad to hear they played the full set in NY, and those who went got to see the entire show. For a tour I didn't think was going to happen (with all the Nightwish problems) they sure have proved they really didn't need to be an opener after all. I hope the rest of the shows are as great as the one in VA was (and apparently NY too) :).

jaxx show kicked ass.. only thing left to do in life is see blind guardian and i can die happy(at least after pp when i see orphaned land)