Speaker Cable Question

How long of a speaker cable could I get away with running my head to my cabinet? I plan on keeping the cab mic'd in a seperate room so I can tweak the knobs and hear the end result immediately, instead of running back and forth to tweak, run back to the other room, check, run back, and so on and so forth.

The ORIGINAL South Of Heaven said:
Also, this thought just occured to me. How long of a mic cable could I get away with? What should I do if I need a longer one?
Always keep runs as short as possible.
As far as speaker cable goes, the longer the run the thicker the gauge you should use. I've used 40' 8 gauge cable (on guitar) and didn't notice any loss.
For mic cable I've used 200ft snake runs live before but for studio stuff I try not to go over 50. One trick is to put a mic pre near what you're recording and do the long part of the run at line level. The quality of your cables will also become more apparent the longer the run.

What mic cable does everyone use? A couple of years ago I bought 300ft of Canare Star Quad in one batch and a bunch of Neutrik connectors and sat for 2 days making my own cables. Used them ever since. Anyone else make their own cables?

Cooperman said:
What mic cable does everyone use? A couple of years ago I bought 300ft of Canare Star Quad in one batch and a bunch of Neutrik connectors and sat for 2 days making my own cables. Used them ever since. Anyone else make their own cables?

All the time...all the time... :loco: :loco:

Yeah I buy mogami in bulk and use Neutrik conectors as well. I like the Neutrik right angle conectors for tight spots too although they are a bitch to solder compared to straight plugs.