STORM CORROSION: Mikael Åkerfeldt + Steven Wilson

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
From http://www.bravewords.com/news/177535

"Roadrunner Records recenly announced the signing of STORM CORROSION. Storm Corrosion is the long-discussed and highly anticipated collaboration between two of the modern progressive rock scene's most innovative and multi-talented artists: Mikael Åkerfeldt of OPETH and PORCUPINE TREE’s Steven Wilson. The pair will release Storm Corrosion on April 24th via Roadrunner Records.

380412_187838751311446_187831801312141_357239_1048626654_n.jpg

The sound of Storm Corrosion can best be described as enchanting, orchestral, ambient, epic (half the album’s tracks clock in around the 10-minute mark) and nothing short of surprising to the new ear. However, the musicians’ respective fanbases will be primed to appreciate the new output, with Wilson’s recent solo album, Grace For Drowning, and Opeth’s Heritage having brought them to a logical place to understand Storm Corrosion. This eponymous collection is almost viewed as one side of a musical triangle.

377887_200180003410654_187831801312141_393815_1735184958_n.jpg

Says Wilson, “If you'd asked me three months ago about the music, I would have said, 'Expect the last thing you would expect.' But actually, now that Heritage and Grace For Drowning have come out, I don't think it's going to be that much of a shock to people, because it's almost like a third part of the trilogy, in a way. If anything, it's even more orchestral, even more stripped down, even more dark, twisted and melancholic… but it certainly feels like it comes from the same place as Heritage and Grace for Drowning, which indeed it does because it was written during the same period.”

“Some of the music on this record I think is the most beautiful music I have participated on ever,” adds Åkerfeldt. “There's some magical sections on there. Musically I think we've created something earthy, a bit frightening, exhausting, profound and rather intense. All at the same time. I can safely say I don't know any other band or artist that sounds anything like Storm Corrosion. I guess that was also one of our goals, so to speak.”

Storm Corrosion have posted a few photos from a recent photoshoot on their Facebook page. "

Oh god, spawned from the same shit as Heritage! And I was looking forward to this collaboration...

At least my expectations won't be too high. Who knows

The quote about it being some of the most beautiful music Mikael has participated in excites me. I listened to Damnation earlier today and forgot just how much I LOVE that album. I'm hoping this is at least something like that.

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/179585 :

Release date bumped to May 8th, but you can pre-order it in two deluxe packages starting today.

The Storm Corrosion Special Edition Blu-ray/CD Set and Collector's Edition Double LP Bundle (pre-order link) is $50, and includes the album on 180-gram black virgin vinyl, in a gatefold jacket with exclusive artwork; a digital download of the entire album in high-quality FLAC files; the Blu-ray/CD version of the record, which offers the album on CD; a Blu-ray disc containing a 5.1 audio mix of the entire album, two exclusive demo tracks, and five instrumental tracks; a 24" x 36" fold-out poster; and a separate 12" x 12" poster autographed by both Mikael Åkerfeldt and Steven Wilson.

The "Storm Corrosion" Collector's Edition Double-LP Set (pre-order link) is $35, and includes the vinyl version, the digital download, and the two posters.

I really can't understand the bitching about Heritage. I think it's fantastic.

And this...while not metal AT ALL, is quite haunting and beautiful. I like it. Weird as shit, but good fucking music.

Its fucking awesome.

Its like if heritage and grace for drowning had a creepy beautiful baby.

I do enjoy it more so than Heritage, but not quite as much as Grace for Drowning.

I so do enjoy the King Crimson atmosphere going on.

Incredible. Had my attention from the beginning. I was sort of 50/50 in terms of if this would be good or bad, but after hearing this, I will be so bold to say that this album could theoretically be my fave album for this year.

I really can't understand the bitching about Heritage. I think it's fantastic.

Agreed. I think it's a fantastic album as well. I think part of it is a LOT of people just want Opeth to be old Opeth and the thing is, Mikael is too creative of a person to do that. Unfortunately, Opeth just has a lot of fans that aren't very open-minded.

Palabra hit the nail on the head "haunting and beautiful". That is the absolute perfect description of Opeth (as well as this Storm Corrosion track). Heritage was neither haunting nor beautiful. It was complete shit. The thing that has made Opeth so great is their ability to change up both the music and vocals from harsh & dissonant to "hauntingly beautiful" in one fell swoop. And they always did it without sacrificing the overall mood, melody, and structure of the song. Heritage is a wannabe 70's prog rock album (with shitty production also), and not a very good one IMO. If I wanted to hear some quality 70's prog rock, I'd put on an album from King Crimson or Yes or Pink Floyd, etc. etc. etc.

Agreed. I think it's a fantastic album as well. I think part of it is a LOT of people just want Opeth to be old Opeth and the thing is, Mikael is too creative of a person to do that. Unfortunately, Opeth just has a lot of fans that aren't very open-minded.

Opeth fans loved Damnation when it (myself included) came out and that was a huge departure from Opeth's sound. As a whole, Heritage was a directionless, meandering mess of a circle jerk and it boggles my mind that there are people who call themselves fans of Opeth actually liked it! Feels like the band pissed on everything that it stood for musically. And for those that defend it as a "King Crimson inspired" album - that's an insult to King Crimson. imo of course. :D