Testament US Tour Announced

We are probably going to make a trip up to Atlanta for this. Any locals know the area around the Masquerade? Are there any good hotels close by? How is the venue? Any other info you can think of. Thanks!

Masq is fun. Area surrounding is a blend of artsy/Tony/rundown. Yeah - all of that. Great place to see drag queens, college students, lawyers and blue hairs all at the same diner.

And the Atlanta show is a Saturday, so I may be able to take my son - Woo Hoo! Masq is a non-smoking venue. I suspect this show will be upstairs in their larger "Heaven" venue. Turisas and Firewind play the cool funky intimate (?!?) "Hell" venue downstairs on 2/3. I'd love to take the son to that one as well, but not sure I can pull that off for a school night for a 9 year old.

We are probably going to make a trip up to Atlanta for this. Any locals know the area around the Masquerade? Are there any good hotels close by? How is the venue? Any other info you can think of. Thanks!

It's a shithole, but damn, it's a charming shithole. It's been cleaned up a bit over the past year or two and might even be at 'craphole' status now.
Not sure what you mean by 'close by'. There aren't many in walking distance that I'd recommend, but plenty in driving distance.
Lots of good places to eat in short driving, or even walking distance too.

Since there isn't anything really close by as far as accommodations, I'd recommend Pricelining a downtown hotel-- we usually can get one for about $65 or so plus tax plus parking, so around $100-$125 a night. The Masq is about a 10-15 minute drive from downtown max with a pay lot that's usually about $5; taxi is $10-$20 each way if you go that route...

Little 5 Points Vortex is about 5 minutes away, and a great pre-show burger/beers place.

Thanks for the info everybody. Craphole sounds perfect for this type of show! I didn't know it was near the Vortex. That gives me an idea where it is as we have been there during PP before. I'll check out the hotels.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info everybody. Craphole sounds perfect for this type of show! I didn't know it was near the Vortex. That gives me an idea where it is as we have been there during PP before. I'll check out the hotels.

Thanks again!

Just so you know it's not the Midtown Vortex (the one that's semi-near Center Stage, etc)-- but the Little 5 Points location.

I would also check this out if it came to central Florida, but I did see Anthrax / Testament / Death Angel in Nov 2011 in Orlando and again in Feb 2012 in Tampa, and saw Overkill headline in Tampa in May 2012, so I guess I can't complain too hard, heh.