The Best One-Two Punches In Music

Leyth Mulla

Aug 1, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
You know how sometimes an album grabs you by the throat from the first track? And then the second tracks comes on and there's no let up? What albums hold that for you?

For me (to name a few):

Opeth - Blackwater Park: First "The Leper Affinity" grabs you and then "Bleak" floors you.

Also from Opeth - Ghost Reveries: "Ghost Of Perdition" and "The Baying Of The Hounds"

From Nevermore's This Godless Endeavour: "Born" and "Final Product"

You get the idea... :headbang:

Rush from Moving Pictures, from the first notes of Tom Sawyer to the ending notes of Red Barchetta have always been very dramatic.

From a completely different genre, In Flames "Clayman". Bullet Ride and Pinball Map are two killer songs back to back.

Van Halen - Running with the devil...then Eruption. :headbang:
Riot - "Swords and Tequila....then "Fire Down Under" :headbang:

Funny you don't mention Still Life by Opeth, as that's what comes to my mind right away. I love the build-up on "The Moor" and then "Godhead's Lament" is one of my all-time favorite Opeth songs. I love the riff at 1:42 and the build-up into the solo at 2:55, which then goes into the clean vocal part...so good!

Now I'm all bummed out about Heritage.

Heritage is good, don't get me wrong, just too far removed from what I usually enjoy about Opeth. Not a fan of the whole 70s prog vibe.

4 classic releases that never letup for me from beginning to the end:

The Who - Who's Next

Yes - Close to The Edge

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon

Wishbone Ash - Argus

One of the most poplular would be -
We will rock you and we are the champion by Queen.

But way overplayed IMO:p