The festival headliner next year....

Granted, a band like Manilla Road doesn't have the gimmick or commercial appeal of many other underground metal bands, which is why they would never be truly appreciated. Same goes for bands like Slough Feg, etc.

Maybe their gimmick should be trying to write some good songs? i mean my band has a gimmick and terrible songs and we have plenty of fans. :lol:

Now that you mention the A/C, I remember it being really friggin' cold indeed! I had my eyes glued to the stage, so if it was me, you and Glenn or 1200 people, I probably wouldn't really know the difference. Thinking back, all I remember is watching the stage and not really blinking. :lol:

i tried to keep my attention on them but i remember shivering (as i was like 75lbs lighter then) and it was hard. haha.

but i am sure glenn can toss up some picks or a video and help us out with our memories.

I'm clairvoyant! I took this picture 8 years ago, knowing that someday, this thread would happen! So, yes, people left, but not 50% of the people. If they had, today we would be referencing Pain of Salvation instead of Rage.

IMG_1066.jpg

Neil

Maybe their gimmick should be trying to write some good songs? i mean my band has a gimmick and terrible songs and we have plenty of fans. :lol:

Writing some good songs?
Have you ever honestly heard Manilla Road?
Maybe you aren't a fan of traditional metal, and that's fine.

They write amazing songs. They write songs of war, literature, mythology, astronomy, etc. Many topics which are popular today by more "flashy" bands. Maybe if they painted their faces or were on a hipper label, they would get more noticed.

Also, why must you bring up your band in EVERY thread?

I seriously do not think ANYONE here has ever even heard of your band, aside from you pimping them 10 times a day.

i bring my band up because i AM a pimp. ;) and since you know obviously know zero about my band i used a "gimmick" and it worked. i took Brujeria's gimmick of creating a fake back story for the band using old POSSESSED promo shots for our own and made something up about KWD being banned from every club in Arizona (despite us living in NC) because of riots starting at our shows and us serving jail time. so when referencing my band and use of "gimmicks" to become successful i am pretty sure it's 100% justified (i even sold over 2,000 copies of our joke documentary DVD unveiling the true myths of the band). but again for the average person in this board not knowing who we are/were i can see how you would think i was just dropping my band randomly, but when i reference my band it's usually for good reason in reference to the discussion at hand since i am pretty sure i have more experience than anyone on this board (i could be wrong) when it comes to touring, running a record label, etc. so i reference my experiences. i don't do it thinking any of you will be fans, because i know none of you will. i am not a complete idiot and i know my band's fan base and this board isn't it. i simply do it out of point of reference and in this case even POKING FUN at myself and my own band. who else does that? nobody, since i don't take things too seriously and some other people do.

also for the record, i was joking about Manilla Road. i have 4 of their albums. sometimes i think you let the quotes in your signature go to your head. ;) haha.

i bring my band up because i AM a pimp. ;) and since you know obviously know zero about my band i used a "gimmick" and it worked. i took Brujeria's gimmick of creating a fake back story for the band using old POSSESSED promo shots for our own and made something up about KWD being banned from every club in Arizona (despite us living in NC) because of riots starting at our shows and us serving jail time. so when referencing my band and use of "gimmicks" to become successful i am pretty sure it's 100% justified (i even sold over 2,000 copies of our joke documentary DVD unveiling the true myths of the band). but again for the average person in this board not knowing who we are/were i can see how you would think i was just dropping my band randomly, but when i reference my band it's usually for good reason in reference to the discussion at hand since i am pretty sure i have more experience than anyone on this board (i could be wrong) when it comes to touring, running a record label, etc. so i reference my experiences. i don't do it thinking any of you will be fans, because i know none of you will. i am not a complete idiot and i know my band's fan base and this board isn't it. i simply do it out of point of reference and in this case even POKING FUN at myself and my own band. who else does that? nobody, since i don't take things too seriously and some other people do.

also for the record, i was joking about Manilla Road. i have 4 of their albums. sometimes i think you let the quotes in your signature go to your head. haha.

I think that it is hard to get sarcasm here in writting.....but I do hang out with Jason outside of this forum....he has no humor.

Good one with the quotes in his signature get to his head.

He knows where I stand with Manilla Road to. I just love getting him worked up because he has no problem making pot shots on other people favorite bands but any of his are off the table.

he has no problem making pot shots on other people favorite bands but any of his are off the table.

no bands are off the table because that is no fun, hell i could start threads talking shit on my favorite bands and no one would know. the key is to be able to win both sides of an argument. ask jeremy about how many times i just take the side i know will get him riled up but am able to argue it so convincingly it works. hahaha.

you mean except for the people who have bought our 20,000+ albums right? ;)

I said anyone "here", not in general.
As I said, I personally have not heard of your band.

I know you have knowledge of touring and running a label.

I have been in bands and had a small 7" only label, but that was years ago.

Anyhow, I know most of you were just ribbing MR, since it gets my goat.

My thoughts on the subject remain.

I have said it before, and I know this will piss people off.
No way would Tyr, Turisas, Elvenking, etc have ever been considered for this fest prior to Pagan Fest.

If true US trad metal ever was a flavor of the month, and was booked at Prog Power, all of a sudden, MANY people here would be running out, claiming they have been a fan for years. As an "armchair" poster, I see this happening every year.

I know Glen couldn't care less. He's a businessman.
If it puts asses in seats, he'll book em!

It's always good to try new things as a promoter to keep it fresh and bring in new people.

What gets me though is how bands that are slammed one day, are loved the next if all of a sudden they are deemed "prog power" worthy.

@ Diabolik - No doubt. One of my biggest flaws is that I do tend to take things too seriously at first, but as you know, overall I do have a thick skin. Nothing bothers me long term.

@ Tribunal - I am with you about no bands being off the table for mocking. Let's face it. Almost EVERY band on the planet (including Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Blind Guardian, etc, etc) can be mocked for one thing or another.

As I said, there are plenty of bands and genres that were once considered for losers that are now acceptable by this crowd. Trad metal gets VERY little love. To be honest, I hope it never changes, because what has kept trad metal going is it's hardcore fanbase. Sure, it isn't as big as Nightwishes fan base, but it's a solid core that have been around for a long time and aren't going anywhere with the change of the wind.

Also, that is pretty funny about your band, and the fake back story.
Just out of curiousity, what is your crowd?
Is it the metalcore crowd?
The hardcore crowd?

Also, that is pretty funny about your band, and the fake back story.
Just out of curiousity, what is your crowd?
Is it the metalcore crowd?
The hardcore crowd?

predominantly hardcore and metalcore, but we have different mixes in different parts of the country it's weird honestly. i stopped trying to figure out how and why what people come to our shows long ago. instead we just have fun with them at each show regardless.

this was the actual promo picture we used. naturally i had found a better, higher res version for promotion back in 2005. i knew that the fans we were originally marketing too wouldn't know this band at all. i also used a DARK ANGEL picture as well. it was all done in fun.
possessedos5.jpg

I have said it before, and I know this will piss people off.
No way would Tyr, Turisas, Elvenking, etc have ever been considered for this fest prior to Pagan Fest.

If true US trad metal ever was a flavor of the month, and was booked at Prog Power, all of a sudden, MANY people here would be running out, claiming they have been a fan for years. As an "armchair" poster, I see this happening every year.

What gets me though is how bands that are slammed one day, are loved the next if all of a sudden they are deemed "prog power" worthy.

I agree with you in terms of TYR and Turisas, but I'm sorry I will have to disagree with you in terms of Elvenking. Elvenking really aren't Pagan at all. They're essentially power metal with some Celtic and folk influences.

I don't think people that are fans of power metal are that far removed from traditional. I think trad. metal would fit the fest, though not an excessive amount. Most power metal isn't that far removed from traditional if you really think about it. As little power metal is promoted, unless you're Maiden or Priest, traditional gets practically no promotion what so ever. I wouldn't consider people being hypocrites in terms of liking traditional metal if it entered the fest. I just think most people on here don't know about a lot of it.

However, you are right in terms of certain bands that are slammed constantly and yet if they're announced, people go crazy for them. The one that most comes to mind is Hammerfall. I seem to remember a lot of people complaining about how corny and everything they are. That they're a Manowar ripoff, etc., yet when they were announced people were stoked.

If they got signed to Nuc Blast, instantly many here would change their tune. Same would go for any trad metal band.

Not really ... remember what happened when STORMWITCH (yes, the 80's classic "black romantic heavy metal" band that wrote the song "Ravenlord" covered to fame by Hammerfall) signed with Nuclear Blast??? Correct, NOTHING happened. They released one album and faded back into obscurity. Same thing would happen if NB signed Manilla Road or any other of those 80's bands that never was truly successful.

c.

However, you are right in terms of certain bands that are slammed constantly and yet if they're announced, people go crazy for them. The one that most comes to mind is Hammerfall. I seem to remember a lot of people complaining about how corny and everything they are. That they're a Manowar ripoff, etc., yet when they were announced people were stoked.

Dude, you can mock the hell out of Hammerfall and still be excited to hear them. Their lyrics are the most ridiculous this side of Lost Horizon, but I bet they're going to be fun as hell live.

I seem to remember a lot of people complaining about how corny and everything they are. That they're a Manowar ripoff, etc., yet when they were announced people were stoked.

Unless you point out the *same person* presenting those two different opinions, you're committing a logical fallacy if you think you've uncovered hypocrisy. The fact that some members of this group think Hammerfall is cheesy (and say so) does not preclude different members of the group from loving Hammerfall and speaking up when they were announced.

The group does not share a unified, universal opinion; instead, it is composed of a multitude of (often-opposing) views (as many of the threads here should make obvious!)

Neil

Well, it has appears to me that many, if not most people here are more or less polite when people are "stoked" for bands that don't appeal to them. So, some will diss the band in the forum, but it's a different group that applauds them when they are booked. Seems pretty obvious to me. Now if you can find a particular individual that waffles, ok. But I think it's just different people weighing in.

Keep in mind that the people who post on this forum represent a VERY small percentage of the actual attendees of the festival, which is what makes Glenn's job so difficult every year. While we are screaming for certain bands, Glenn has to balance that with what he believes will help actually sell the festival since we are but a small pond in the big ocean of Progpower.

You guys are totally overreacting in terms of my comments. I was merely just citing an example. I remember a number of people a long time ago when I first joined the forum of people poking fun at Hammerfall, which I found odd at the time. Yet, when they were announced it seemed like an abundance of people cheering. Maybe it wasn't the best example in the world and yeah, a lot of the people praising were not the same ones dissing. Honestly, it was just an example and the one that stood out the most in my mind at the time of writing that post. That's it, and for the record I do like Hammerfall. I was just stating what some people on this forum have said about them.

Keep in mind that the people who post on this forum represent a VERY small percentage of the actual attendees of the festival, which is what makes Glenn's job so difficult every year. While we are screaming for certain bands, Glenn has to balance that with what he believes will help actually sell the festival since we are but a small pond in the big ocean of Progpower.

Oh for sure. I was just talking about people on the forum. I was not aiming that comment at the entirety of people that attend progpower.