The first "this band should be at next years prog power" thread

I support quite a few choices in here (predominantly Evergrey and Conception), but I'm throwing in a vote for Ion Vein (http://www.ionvein.com). They, along with Twelfth Gate (http://www.twelfthgate.net/), are at the helm of Chicago, if not the US' underground Prog Metal scene, and I think PPUSA would serve to get them some well-deserved recognition.

- R

Labyrinth
Evergrey
Magnitude 9
Stride
Vicious Rumors
Saxon
Pagan's Mind
UDO
Alex Masi
Racer X

I know, a little too much on the power/old school side, but that would be a high energy show!!! I'd be into seeing some old melodic metal bands like 220 Volt, Legend,
Jaguar, etc - only so many slots though!

Wow -- lots and lots of good suggestions in this thread.

Here are my contributions:

HEAVENLY -- they have a handful of amazing albums out now, they've paid their dues
RHAPSODY -- nuff said, but they are probably expensive as all hell
LOST HORIZON -- Progressive Speeeeeeeeeeeeed Metal
PYRAMAZE -- check these guys out, their debut CD just slays
AXENSTAR -- one of my personal little unknown bands

Also I can't believe how many of you asked for LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEIGH (sp???), that is so awesome, I thought I was the only one that listened to them...

SwordLord
SwordLord2003@aol.com

dtfanatic said:
ANDROMEDA AND ZERO HOUR
ANDROMEDA AND ZERO HOUR
ANDROMEDA AND ZERO HOUR

Okay, 3 times is enough, no waitaminute, it's not.

ANDROMEDA AND ZERO HOUR

:)
You know you want Blind Guardian back.

ENCHANT
Masterplan/Jorn
Silent Force/D.C. Cooper
Fates Warning
Crimson Glory re-union...you can do it Glenn
Magnitude 9
Sun Caged...maybe they will have a complete line-up by next year
Rob Rock :headbang:
Royal Hunt
Ring of Fire

Well, I would probably add nothing new to this list but here are my picks.

Fates Warning ( shouldn't be too hard to get )
Crimson Glory ( hoping their presence was a prelude )
Heir Apparent
Dead Soul Tribe
Solitude Aeturnus
Braindance ( although they can't keep a drummer or bass player long enough )
Masterplan
Helloween
Ayreon/Star One
Bruce Dickinson ( solo stuff of course )
Nevermore ( of course )

I guess that's more than enough for now.

SwordLord said:
Also I can't believe how many of you asked for LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEIGH (sp???), that is so awesome, I thought I was the only one that listened to them...

SwordLord
SwordLord2003@aol.com
Slough Feg rule, 'nuff said :)

It would be cool to see Hammers of Misfortune again too, though I think Slough Feg is a bit more accessible.

SinsAndShadows said:
Slough Feg rule, 'nuff said :)

It would be cool to see Hammers of Misfortune again too, though I think Slough Feg is a bit more accessible.
I don't think accessibility should be a concern for a festival that has "Prog" in its name.

I want to throw in my support for Orphaned Land as well. I bet they put on a great live show.

NobleKnight said:
I'd love to see a rocky goth type band like Beseech, Charon or preferably Entwine, whose latest album Dieversity is incredible.

All good choices, and "Dieversity" is a great album. I've always wondered if Sentenced or Katatonia would fit in as a valid ProgPower band as well.

steelreign said:
Silent Force
Lost Horizon
Pyramaze
Stormwarrior
Wolf
Magnitude 9
Distant Thunder

Wolf is a great band. I am surprised this is the first time I have seen this band in a list. This is ProgPower, not "oldschool" but to be honest, bands like UDO and Metal Church are 100% power metal though they are oldschool as well and I would love to see an oldschool band at PP. If that couldn't happen, Wolf proclaims they are "oldschool" and their style and sound prove it so. Great choice there !!

Bryant

ProgMetalFan said:
I don't think accessibility should be a concern for a festival that has "Prog" in its name.
Which is why I saw a bunch of people bitching about Into Eternity, right? Meh. Either one would be most excellent, though I'd prefer Slough Feg.

Some unmentioned bands I'd like to see:
Ligiea
Running Wild
Within Temptation
Black Symphony
Tarot
Dark Fire
Iron Savior
Virgin Steele
Mob Rules