The Great Cold Distance coverart - your thoughts

oICEMANo

Lord of Illustration
Hey all
New to the forum here but a long time fan of Katatonia (was lucky enough to see em in London when I was there, 2003 I think it was). I haven't got the new album yet as I havn't seen it in the shops here in SA yet but I have heard My Twin - great stuff as usual! I was suprised however at the new album cover. Now I like the art as it fits in with past themes but I was shocked to see no sign of the KATATONIA logo!!! :zombie:

Now I like the font used (what font is that btw???) but I really love the Katatonia logo and am very curious as to why it wasn't used on the font cover.

I also went so far as to make a mock up of how it could have looked with the official logo on my website and I have to say it looks cool as well.

So, any thoughts?
(hopefully someone from the band can elaborate! :headbang: )

lucifers pension im pretty sure. just google it. or search the forum. theres a link in some old topic to download the font. I think the artwork is interesting. very different imagery to the other albums. different style. plus the colour is just really striking. same with all the albums though. they all pic one colour and stick with it.

A Stranger said:
lucifers pension im pretty sure. just google it. or search the forum. theres a link in some old topic to download the font. I think the artwork is interesting. very different imagery to the other albums. different style. plus the colour is just really striking. same with all the albums though. they all pic one colour and stick with it.

Yeah I love that about the album covers the way there is a colour scheme. Kinda like Children of Bodom as well. I have been a fan of Smith's stuff for quite a while.

The imagery is always quite thought provoking IMO.

paradoxile said:
I liked the Viva coverart more...to tell you the truth, the coverart isn't all that good but the album itself is awesome

The coverart of Viva Emptiness is the best imo, and I agree with you.

---

But, I love every piece of art created by Travis. Every of his works, at least with Katatonia, is always great. Depressing, haunting, beautiful.

TGCD artwork is pretty good as well. The red colour that is used to express passion in general (not erotic in this case), red means blood, anger...I would characterise it as a colour that shows strong feelings. And then it's the black, darkness, death, desperation. It fits prefectly with the red and makes the picture ''dramatical'' (I think this is the word that it is used in art for strong contrast w/e.).

All the covers I think express how one feels when he hears to Katatonia, their music is strongly related with the artworks of Travis, who's a big fan of Katatonia (at least that's the impression Travis has given me so far),

paradoxile said:
I liked the Viva coverart more...to tell you the truth, the coverart isn't all that good but the album itself is awesome

i think it just suited very well like all of them. TD-blue cause its got a more dark nighttime feel to it. LFDGD-yellow because its got a kind of rotting "sound track to the end of the world feel" to it, black- viva bacause it was a much heavier darker turn in the music, red-TGCD because like viva its dark and heavy but even heavier so its a more blood red voilent feel. I dont own a copy of discouraged ones or Brave murder day so i cant comment really. (i seriously have to buy Brave murder day soon). DDS is like its done by an different equally good band

TGCD artwork is phantastic. fits perfectly with the mood of the album, as all the other works by Travis. still, the artwork of VE is my clear favourite...

i dont like TGCD art, it is horrible and simplistic and dunno like cave paint like, yeah now you can kill me... i like the TD and the inside art of VE(not the coverart)...