the silence of the lambs

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I just read this for the first time. Took 2 days. I'm not sure if I've ever read anything that kept my interest like this, absolutely hooked from page to page, even after having seen the movie approx 4 or 5 times.

Just superb. Had I not seen the film beforehand, not knowing what was going to unfold in the storyline, I would have probably thought this was the greatest book ever -- certainly from the point of view of not being able to put it down.

Awesome. I had the exact same reaction with "The Exorcist" and "Ghost Story" (the latter being so far ahead of it's cinematic companion it's beyond words).

"The Exorcist" is an incredible film and yet the book is still worlds better. It's one of those rare books that had me looking over my shoulder nervously every time I'd hear a creak in the house. Naturally it had to be a windy night when I was reading it. :)

The experience of reading the book can bring you and the story together in such an intimate way that is simply not possible on the big screen.

Gates of Fire was good until I put it down halfway through and read like 20 other books instead. :loco:

Most nonstop read I ever did was On The Road, two sessions over a 2 day period (only work and sleep interrupted). Wait, that's not true. I read Candide by Voltaire and The Eye by Nabokov in single sessions, just a few hours each. Those are pretty short books though.

I read the book a few years after seeing the movie and it still sucked me in.

One of the best things for me in the movie was the cinematography. It was a whole new style ... often immitated afterwards. Only SEVEN succedded in duplicating its creepiness.

Too bad Thomas Harris sucks as a writer. I'm still trying to figure out how the genius of Silence came from the same guy who gave us Hannibal.