The world will end tomorrow (not really... off-topic, but music related)

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
We have a little boom-box at my work we listen to. Each of us have different tastes in music as well. Quite often we turn it to a "mix" station that plays enough different stuff to at least keep us from totally annoying each other. Of course, I am the only elitis there... Daemond is happy with radio rock/R&B (surprisingly for a black guy he loves bands like Green Day, Three Doors Down etc.) Tim likes the new rock and classic rock with a little country and Randy likes country and folk (though Randy is surprisingly well versed in many forms of music.) Anyway.... for the sake of sanity, we play the mix station quite often.
While listening to the "hit" station, I heard this ballad on several occasions that started off with a piano, then a wonderful soulful voice accompianing. Shortly after, an acoustic guitar and harmony voice joined in, as well as a little strings. Even some tasteful electric guitar accompanied in the chorus. Today (my day off,) while changing CDs in the van, I decided to check out the two rock stations and passed by a "hit" station and that song was on. It made me think to look that song up at home..... so I did. The beautiful, mature and stylish ballad was performed by none other than The Backstreet Boys. WTF ? No this isn't a joke thread. The song "Incomplete" was the song I was listening to for three wekks or so and is a new Backstreet Boys tune.
That is where "the end of the world" comes in. I figured, the rapture would be quite soon if I ever enjoyed a boy band song, but I think Jesus can chill out in heaven a little while longer. The BSB got their fifteen minutes of "true" musical fame is the way I see it. I won't be donning my Back Street Boys tee-shirt at this years Prog Power USA by any means, but I applaud them for actually performing a "real" song. If they actually wrote it.... then I will keep my ears peeled for other stuff by them.

Bryant

Yep that happens to me all the time. Music does not always fit the pre-conceived labels and emotions don't give a fuck about being trOOO and cool! :lol:

Just add it to your 'guilty' pleasures list buddy!

Good for you!

I, for one, am a huge fan of vintage Barry Manilow. Their is an honest emotion and gracefullness coming through his music. The tune "Could This Be Magic" is an epic based off of a classical work by - I think - Chopin. I've played it for my metal friends and most have really dug it.

I actually went to a Manilow concert a few years back....he was awesome.

I also like some of the early 70s output from the Carpenters. Again, if the songwriting is magical, the genre it's found in is irrelevant.

Bryant said:
Come on sissies... make fun of me. I won't retaliate. ^___^

Bryant

Oh man, see what happens when you have a child? You're going soft, old man. :D

Naw, seriously, if it's a good song then it's a good song. There doesn't have to be an explanation why the song moved you. Although you did provide a pretty good explanation why. It's best to just enjoy and admire it. Isn't that what music is for?

Wheezer said:
Uhhm, I went to see Neil Diamond once. That's ok, isn't it?

Neil Diamond :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I never listen to the radio but for Bryant will keep my ears open for the song. I know the BS boys (shouldn't they be men by now? :tickled: ) are on tour as they'll be in L.A. soon.

I found out about 2 more reunion shows one in New York....CREAM....yes! hot off the London reunion they've announced a few days in NY...damn, damn, damn... the other is the remaining members (how many I'm not sure of) of MC5 they'll be here soon..I need more info on this show.

for some mellow stuff I like Simon & Garfunkel great songwriting and sweet soft music. :D

kittybeast said:

I never listen to the radio but for Bryant will keep my ears open for the song. I know the BS boys (shouldn't they be men by now? :tickled: ) are on tour as they'll be in L.A. soon.

I found out about 2 more reunion shows one in New York....CREAM....yes! hot off the London reunion they've announced a few days in NY...damn, damn, damn... the other is the remaining members (how many I'm not sure of) of MC5 they'll be here soon..I need more info on this show.

for some mellow stuff I like Simon & Garfunkel great songwriting and sweet soft music. :D

Kittybeast, I suspect everyone around our age (I'm assuming you are in your 30s like me) has a secret Neil Diamond fetish. My mom wore his records out and I still feel nostalgic on hearing them, and I genuinely like them. I don't own any, but I wouldn't race to turn one off and know his music far better than is wise. Like Tom Jones, I've known a lot of people who will admit to liking him.

kittybeast said:
The Sound Of Silence is one of the greatest songs ever, I want my band to cover it......but not like the Nevermore cover, lol actually being able to recognize the song is key (having said that, I LOVE their cover of it :headbang: ).

on a side note.....did you know that Garfunkel was just recently arrested? He ran a stop sign, and the cop stopped him and found a roach in his ash tray :Smug: . Poor guy, I would think he'd be a little more discrete

ElectricWiz said:
Kittybeast, I suspect everyone around our age (I'm assuming you are in your 30s like me) has a secret Neil Diamond fetish. My mom wore his records out and I still feel nostalgic on hearing them, and I genuinely like them. I don't own any, but I wouldn't race to turn one off and know his music far better than is wise. Like Tom Jones, I've known a lot of people who will admit to liking him.

I wish I was still in my 30's......HELL as long as I'm wishing let's make it 20's :tickled: ...... My mom wore out Elvis albums, she had his entire collection....my sister got them when mom passed and I could strangel my sister for in her drug addicted days she sold them for $1.00 each.....%@*&%$#

For mellowness when I used to have a record player I listened to Issac Hayes,
Tony Bennet and a bit of Nat King Cole these were some of my mom's old records
along with some Clancy Brothers for pure drinking fun.
But now if im in a mellow mood I bust out the Perfect Circle or Grant Lee Buffalo cd.
So see Bryant we all have mellow tastes.

Bryant, stay away from the Light!! :yell: :loco:
Someone should say something here, BSB = Boyband = Not writers of music or players of instruments = NOT COOL! :eek: :err:
I'll let Neil Diomond slide (Inthecloset Neilfans Unite!!)

zeppelin said:
Bryant, stay away from the Light!! :yell: :loco:
Someone should say something here, BSB = Boyband = Not writers of music or players of instruments = NOT COOL! :eek: :err:
I'll let Neil Diomond slide (Inthecloset Neilfans Unite!!)
I must agree somewhat here. The music could be fantastic.....but if the people taking credit for it didnt write it, or dont even play it, then I just think that's disgusting.

kittybeast said:

Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU! Whoo! That's a load off my mind. :D

kittybeast said:
I found out about 2 more reunion shows one in New York....CREAM....yes!

:OMG: Oh man would I love to see that.

kittybeast said:

Yup! First song I can remember hearing on the radio is Bridge Over Troubled Water. We were driving on a bridge over the Rio Grande in my home town. :)