Therion - concert in Chile last night (setlist spoilers)

See You In Hell

Is this the real McCoy?
Feb 13, 2007
five-venoms.spaces.live.com
Travel plans find me in Chile for the bulk of the month of October. Good fortune smiled upon me last night when I got to see Therion on their current tour here in Santiago. If last night is any indication of what is to hit the stage next year at ProgPower, Therion are going to level the place. I'm not sure how many dates preceded last night's show but the band was in impreccable form and tore through over 20 songs in about 2 hours or so (maybe 2:15).

No real special effects to speak of although the fog machine was in use on EVERY song and photography was a near impossibility. But the musicianship and vocals more than made up for it all. The Chilean crowd was eating this up, song after song after song. And Snowy Shaw knows how to work a crowd!

As you can see by the setlist below Therion covered a decent cross-section of their catalog, including three songs from the new album. It truly was a fantastic experience and we at ProgPower will have something very special to look forward to. The band was inaccessible prior to and after the show so I never had a chance to talk to any of them about ProgPower or what they think they might have planned. Of course, it is still 11 months away so it is likely they would not have known anyway. :lol:

One interesting thing (to me) that probably only applies to the current South American tour is there was a COMPLETE lack of Therion merchandise (discounting the "vendors" outside hawking wares of dubious origin) available for purchase. Not one t-shirt, beanie, CD.... nothing. That is the question I would have most liked to ask... why no merchandise?

Anyway, once again, FANTASTIC show and an experience I'll not likely forget. I'm happy to have been able to experience a metal show here in South America and live to tell the tale! Truth be told, the fans last night were amazing.... singing, jumping, headbanging to practically every song. Yet not a single problem with any of the fans and, as a side note, I was made to feel very welcome. I even got a few compliments on my Spanish! hahahaha

And now to the setlist.....

‎1.Sitra Ahra
2.Secret of the Runes
3.Typhon
4.The Perennial Sophia
5.Hellequin
6.Nifelheim
7.Clavicula Nox
8.Voyage of Gurdjieff (The Fourth Way)
9.Ljusalfheim
10.Wine of Aluqah
11.Ginnungagap
12.Kali Yuga, Part 3
13.Call of Dagon
14.The Siren of the Woods
15.Enter Vril-Ya
16.To Mega Therion
17.Lemuria
18.The Wand of Abaris
19.Abraxas

Encore 1:
20.Dies Irae
21.Quetzalcoatl

Encore 2:
22.The Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah
23.The Blood of Kingu

I am glad you had a great time... I've seen a concert in Chile in 2007, It was an incredible experience... Santiago is a great city.

About the merch: The entire South American Tour is done by plane, there is no tourbus... It's hard to bring all that stuff with them on every flight. Some bands get some t-shirts done in South America or bring a limited amount of things... But it's common to not have any merchandising available.

One interesting thing (to me) that probably only applies to the current South American tour is there was a COMPLETE lack of Therion merchandise (discounting the "vendors" outside hawking wares of dubious origin) available for purchase. Not one t-shirt, beanie, CD.... nothing. That is the question I would have most liked to ask... why no merchandise?

Welcome to South America! :lol: Well, as Angrafan explained, it's not really cost effective for a band to bring merch down there. Very little is usually available.

A lot of times the vendors outside have pretty cool looking shirts though. :lol:

I am glad you had a great time... I've seen a concert in Chile in 2007, It was an incredible experience... Santiago is a great city.

About the merch: The entire South American Tour is done by plane, there is no tourbus... It's hard to bring all that stuff with them on every flight. Some bands get some t-shirts done in South America or bring a limited amount of things... But it's common to not have any merchandising available.

You know I had begun to think about this same notion -- no bus because they're mainly hitting the larger cities in the continent and all of them a separated by large distance so, yeah, a bus would be pointless. Case in point I recall from a visit to Colombia last year that, by bus, Bogota and Medellin takes about 12 hours or so. By plane: about 30 minutes. That's what the mountains do to ground transportation! So, yeah, now that you mention it, it would be a big task to load up a ton of merch on plane after plane and have to lug it all around. And I'm sure it isn't cheap either!

When I saw Lacrimosa here in Santiago a little over a week ago they had a small selection of merch that sold out rather quickly. Still to come are Sonata Arctica (I have tickets for that already) and Rush (need to get tickets if I still can as this will be their first-ever concert in Chile or so I am told so I need to be a part of that if at all possible). I'm curious to see if a giant name like Rush will have loaded merch onto their flights here or not.

As AngraRULES also has said the vendors outside have some interesting shirts and other wares for sale. Actually it's all a lot of fun just seeing how things go here versus in the States.

And if we ProgPower attendees want to try to replicate the energy of the crowds at the two shows I've seen in Chile so far this month we all better start drinking Rred Bull or some sort of energy drink starting now and do so multiple times daily until ProgPower XII rolls around! hahaha :devil: